can i splice Abs wires - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 03-04-2011, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

can i splice Abs wires

hi i have an 08 jk. my abs light is on. the dealer says that the wires have been pulled, from off roading or what ever. they want $970 to fix. what i would like to know is . if i add 4 -6 inches of wire to the abs and front locker wires. will the computer except it ? or will the abs code stay on ? thanks to anyone who can help me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzicon View Post
hi i have an 08 jk. my abs light is on. the dealer says that the wires have been pulled, from off roading or what ever. they want $970 to fix. what i would like to know is . if i add 4 -6 inches of wire to the abs and front locker wires. will the computer except it ? or will the abs code stay on ? thanks to anyone who can help me
If you can splice them back together without crossing them up. It should work. Disconnect the battery first. Do the work. Then reconnect the battery.

"The Green Monster"
2007 2 Door X Jeep Green with Freedom Top
16" Painted Aluminum Mopar Wheels
Grab Bar Mod on front bumper
130w KC Daylighter Driving Beams on grab bar
130w KC Daylighter Long Range Beams
on
Smittybuilt Windshield Brackets
Rock Light Mod
Reverse Light Mod
Mood Light Mod
post #3 of 26 Old 03-04-2011, 11:19 AM
JKO Addict!

New wires from the loom to the hub/unit bearing are $19 +/- each. Your dealer is a fucking thief! Dont splice them, by new ones. The fronts connect to the harness right behind the shock tower. The rears up along the frame. When installing the new ones pull the lowest plastic push connector and leave it out, this should give you enough room for droop on up to a 4-5" lift.

I would avoid splicing the wires as they are sensetive to impedence and resistance.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 03-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Slow and Low

YES! You can splice and extend them. I did exactly that when I stretched my JK and decided to run the ABS/ESP down each individual control arm.
Worked perfectly fine.
Use quality solder/shrink connectors and make sure you don't cross the wires.
Don't waste your money on an easy fix.
post #5 of 26 Old 03-04-2011, 01:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

^^^ what he said

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #6 of 26 Old 03-04-2011, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

what happened was the front locker wire clip was zip tied down to the diff and broke off . the rear abs lines slack got caught in the bump stops and were flatened and broken. thanks, its nice to hear something positive! i'm going to do it. i will let you know what happens. ' s for all !!!

Last edited by rizzicon; 03-04-2011 at 09:12 PM.
post #7 of 26 Old 03-05-2011, 07:03 AM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

I spent $9 on the new wire. VERY EASY!

It was worth the price to not splice it.

01111001011011110111010100100000011011000110111101 11001101110100001000000111010001101000011001010010 000001100111011000010110110101100101

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl View Post
James just came a little early......
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
...May 2011 bless everyone with pervert wheeling days...
post #8 of 26 Old 03-05-2011, 07:19 AM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjr View Post
I spent $9 on the new wire. VERY EASY!

It was worth the price to not splice it.
That's a good point. If you don't need to make them longer, it would be worth the $9 for new OEM wires.
Also, if you damaged them by over-extending them, there is also a chance that even if you do splice them where they snapped, there could still be damage somewhere else along the lines, or at the connectors.
I never lengthened my front ones, but I did splice the rear to make them longer and allow me to run them down the control arms.
post #9 of 26 Old 03-11-2011, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

i don't know how much slack i have at full extention.I was told they where pulled. so I was going to add wire and they could be broke in more then one place. I will look them over again. I have wire to splice in so I will try that first. If I run into more problems, I will go with new OEM wire and make sure that they are tide back away from the bump stops. I like Co4Lo's idea. Of running the wires down the control arms. I wounder if the wires will be safe there. when going through the mud. Or if you could run them into the control arms and back out at the wheel?
post #10 of 26 Old 03-11-2011, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

i don't know how much slack i have at full extention.I was told they where pulled. so I was going to add wire and they could be broke in more then one place. I will look them over again. I have wire to splice in so I will try that first. If I run into more problems, I will go with new OEM wire and make sure that they are tide back away from the bump stops. I like Co4Lo's idea. Of running the wires down the control arms. I wounder if the wires will be safe there. when going through the mud. Or if you could run them into the control arms and back out at the wheel?
post #11 of 26 Old 03-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Granite Guru

Don't suppose you have the part numbers for the wires?
post #12 of 26 Old 03-28-2011, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yes it woks! My back right ABS/ESP wires were the only ones broken. The yellow/ blue line, wire was corroded and burnt. I cut out about 16" of wire. Leaving a couple of inches at the connecter (at the wheel). Then soldered, shrink wrapped new 18 gage yellow wire in, and covered with new plastic wire protector stuff, ( I don't know what that stuff is called). I started my truck and the ABS light was still on
I went for a short drive , hammered on the brakes a couple times and the ABS light came off! and I could feel them working! My dealer wanted $900. To fix. I used $10 worth of wire, zip ties, plastic stuff and electrical tape.
thanks to every one that helped !
post #13 of 26 Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

How many wires are in abs sensor, is it just one.

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
post #14 of 26 Old 03-29-2011, 01:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

two wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #15 of 26 Old 03-29-2011, 03:58 PM
JKO Addict!

A company needs to make a plug in in-line extender for JK ABS wires. simple, easy money and great for people who don't feel like making thier own.
post #16 of 26 Old 03-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
A company needs to make a plug in in-line extender for JK ABS wires. simple, easy money and great for people who don't feel like making thier own.
I would jump on a set of those for sure. Well..., not if they were $900

post #17 of 26 Old 03-29-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

No there are two wires at each wheel.They control the ABS/ESP.
post #18 of 26 Old 04-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

When I was at KOH the Currie JK has the wires zip tied to the AntiRock sway bars. it seemed like a good way to get them out of the way. Anybody have more information on this. It sounds like the stock wires are not long enough.

I pulled mine out and the stock wires are really long. I ran mine down my sway bars this weekend. Cheap and easy.

2K8 Rubicon SWB
4" Terraflex with uppers and lowers / MX6 shocks /37" BFG KM2's /17x9.5 4" BS Raceline Monster Beadlocks / Dynatrac Front housing / 4:88's / RCV Shafts /Superior Evolution Rear Shafts / Genright ALUM Front bumper and Fenders / LoD Rear with Racks / OffRoad Evo Sliders /Or-Fab Cage

Last edited by carbonunit; 04-03-2011 at 07:24 PM.
post #19 of 26 Old 04-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Granite Guru

Just to try it, I cut and spliced my wires today as they had come loose and rub through parts or both of them. That had made the christmas tree light up on my dash. I added about 3 inches of wire with the splice and got everything set up and after driving about 100 feet, the christmas tree was gone!

2007 JK Unlimited Sahara, Blacked Out
3.5 inch lift sitting on 35's
Poly Performance/Synergy Suspension Ball Joints
Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier
post #20 of 26 Old 12-08-2011, 12:57 PM

Where did you find them for $9? Was that OEM or 3rd party? Any links or part numbers would be appreciated.

Mine aren't damaged, but the lack of slack makes me nervous. I haven't installed my disconnects in the front yet because of this. I'd like to get the ABS lines extended first.

Thanks,
Brad
post #21 of 26 Old 12-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Granite Guru

I spliced in some additional length in mine with no issues.

2010 JK - Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel Kit - Fox 2.0 IFP Shocks - 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers - Genright Aluminum Tire Carrier - Poison Spyder Front and Rear BFH Bumpers - Warn M8000 - VKS Fab Sliders - Offroad Evolution Full Skids - Teraflex Sleeves - ARTEC Truss - EVO C Gussets - Synergy Bumpstops - JKS Control Arm Skids - Rigid 10" E-Series Light Bar and SRM Backup Lights - ARB Compressor w/ 5 Gallon Viair Tank - Offroad Evolution Half Doors
post #22 of 26 Old 12-21-2011, 04:13 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post
New wires from the loom to the hub/unit bearing are $19 +/- each. Your dealer is a fucking thief! Dont splice them, by new ones. The fronts connect to the harness right behind the shock tower. The rears up along the frame. When installing the new ones pull the lowest plastic push connector and leave it out, this should give you enough room for droop on up to a 4-5" lift.

I would avoid splicing the wires as they are sensetive to impedence and resistance.
Anyone know the part number for this part of the wiring? I have managed to crush and separate my wiring to my right rear wheel speed sensor.

Thanks

Rick
post #23 of 26 Old 12-29-2011, 11:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Both front & rear can be re-routed to gain quite a bit of extra length on extension. Because of where they're attached behind the shock towers the front connectors can be a PITA to unlatch. You can gain a lot just by pushing them free at the tower (two push pins visible in the wheel wells at the base of the towers) and then extending them. Pull out as much slack as you can, then strap them down with zip ties at the brake line unions. The rears are a snap, just unlatch the connectors at the wheel speed sensors, push out the zip tie at the control arm bracket on the axle, run the wires over the top of the axle tube (instead of underneath) and reconnect at the sensor. Use the same hole on the control arm bracket to zip tie the wire down. Will gain you maybe 2-3". I just did this after I had a flor jack release and allow the rear axle to drop too far, breaking the LR wheel speed sensor. It was fine at full droop with the shock installed, but I was pulling the rear springs and needed a boit more. JAck wasn't snugged up enough and it creeped down until the stop was the ABS wiring...DAMN!

The locker wires should have plenty of slack for up to a 4.5" lift. Again, they just need to be cut free from their zip ties and re-routed. Unlatch the (PITA) connectors first, then get the wheels off the ground and let the suspension hang all the way extended (one end at a time is fine). Route the wires so they have as much free slack as possible, then tie them down so the wires at the connectors aren't continually being flexed. SHould give you a few inches of free slack on both ends.

Really agree with the comment that someone could make a bundle by offering an ABS & locker wiring extension kit. In lieu of that, you can patiently untangle the stock wiring and gain enough to satisfy most applications.

BTW, that dealer that wanted $900+ is why the auto industry has such a bad rep.

Last edited by SoK66; 12-29-2011 at 02:16 PM.
post #24 of 26 Old 12-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Wheeler

ABS WIRES

I crushed my ABS harness at the left rear wheel, I under stand you can replace the lower harness. Do I just go to the dealer and have them order it? Or is there another source. I guess I could splice if neccisary.
post #25 of 26 Old 12-22-2013, 07:13 AM
AOR
Granite Guru

I put late model abs sensors in my 07 JK. The wires are much longer and a direct plug and play. I am not 100% sure but I think 2011-2014 wires are the same length - The longer ones came out when they started to fasten the brake hoses and abs lines between the shock and axle housing and 07-10 are the shorter ones. Just go to your local dealer and tell them you want the front abs sensors for a 2012 and you will be good I think they cost around 20.00 each. If I remember i'll get the part number and post it up here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode