stock speakers sound crappy - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-25-2011, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
stock speakers sound crappy

I replaced my stock single cd/radio with a 6 cd/sirius radio and now my speakers crackle and vibrate when I turn up the radio...they sounded OK with the original radio, the swap was plug and play...just added the sirius antenna, that was it. I can turn it up to 15 before it starts to sound like crap. Has anyone else had this issue, I have tried various settings on the radio but to no avail...any I ideas what the heck happened?

Thanks

Jerseypeach

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

sounds like you need the premium speaker system that comes with the RER(Infinity 7 speaker system). I seen those for sale quite often. you've overpowered your system with the wattage from the new radio.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015

Last edited by RubiCajun; 02-25-2011 at 02:07 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Granite Guru

Dont get the infinity put in the kicker upgrade way better then the infinity. http://www.quadratec.com/products/14136_9001.htm you can find them cheaper then that too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-25-2011, 08:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Better speakers and Dynamat.

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #5 of 12 Old 02-28-2011, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjventrone View Post
Dont get the infinity put in the kicker upgrade way better then the infinity. http://www.quadratec.com/products/14136_9001.htm you can find them cheaper then that too.
I ordered these speakers yesterday...for about 20 bucks less can't wait to get em and install them...thanks for the info

Jerseypeach

post #6 of 12 Old 02-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Granite Guru

First think you need to do is replace the speakers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseypeach View Post
I replaced my stock single cd/radio with a 6 cd/sirius radio and now my speakers crackle and vibrate when I turn up the radio...they sounded OK with the original radio, the swap was plug and play...just added the sirius antenna, that was it. I can turn it up to 15 before it starts to sound like crap. Has anyone else had this issue, I have tried various settings on the radio but to no avail...any I ideas what the heck happened?

Thanks
I replaced the speakers with the Mopar/Kicker upgrade. When you remove the stock speakers you will laugh.. the magnets are small and the cones are paper. I upgraded the speakers, added the mopar kicker amp, ran the rear sub channel out from the mopar/kicker amp to a rockford/fosgate amp... connected a 10" sub.. sounds great! I wanted to leave the stock head unit to reduce the chance of theft. My mopar amp is in the steering column.. the rockford/fosgate may be going there too.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Granite Guru

I'm running all stock speakers with the exception of an infinity bass link powered sub. I also replaced the head unit with an Alpine headunit and added an alpine PDX amp. I also ran new wire to all the speakers from the amp.
I crank that shit to 11 and the speakers sound fine...no crackle no hiss...rap, metal, rock...it all sounds great.

PS: If anyone needs some I have some "Ballistic" dynamat material I'll sell ya!!
It's an 18x32 piece...but it can be cut to whatever size you want.
$25 shipped to lower 48.

http://www.ballistic-online.com/

Last edited by groovy55; 02-28-2011 at 03:04 PM.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Rock God

Factory radios have a built in eq that flattens the sound so that it doesn't push your stock speakers so basically you get a lot of mids but no highs and lows. When you replace the stereo you loose that eq and thus the flaws of your speakers are shown.

Buy some Auditor speakers for $199 a pair for up front or focal access for $300 and you will be very happy and you can add an amp later.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-04-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

I am installing the new speakers this weekend I will let ya'll know. Thanks for all the info

Jerseypeach

post #10 of 12 Old 03-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Rock God

Love the stock speaker in my Rubi. No desire to change them.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-06-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
OMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjventrone View Post

I replaced the speakers in the sound bar yesterday....they sound fantastic now....I cannot believe the difference in the sound!!! Thank you sooooooo much...my speakers don't sound crappy any more..wooohoooooooo

Jerseypeach

post #12 of 12 Old 03-06-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryn View Post
I replaced the speakers with the Mopar/Kicker upgrade. When you remove the stock speakers you will laugh.. the magnets are small and the cones are paper. I upgraded the speakers, added the mopar kicker amp, ran the rear sub channel out from the mopar/kicker amp to a rockford/fosgate amp... connected a 10" sub.. sounds great! I wanted to leave the stock head unit to reduce the chance of theft. My mopar amp is in the steering column.. the rockford/fosgate may be going there too.
I did laugh....the difference is unbelieveable!!!!!!!!!!!! love the way my speakers sound now...thanks soooooo much!!!!!!!

Jerseypeach

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode