cb's which one - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 02-22-2011, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

cb's which one

I am just looking to be able to talk to the people in my group/area. I don't need all the bells and whistles, just want it to be functional. I think I am gonna go with the teraflex antenna mount, but I don't know shit about cb's, antenna, or how to wire them for that matter. Can I just plug the damn thing into the cig lighter, attach an antenna and go or what. Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Granite Guru

go buy a radio shack brand small sized unit for 60 bucks. trust me when i say all of buddies use these and the expensive ones break...only has volume and squelch and it always works with great range...2 cents
post #3 of 17 Old 02-22-2011, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

does it just plug into the cig lighter, or do I have to hard wire it? What abou an antenna? What all is needed to wire these things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Granite Guru

oh yeah after several installs i can tell you its simple to wire it up just red-12v source/ black ground to metal somewhere very simple. but the antanne can be tricky you need a solid mounting point that is a good ground if you buy a cb bracket made for jk's you should be good to go because they are made for areas that have good grounds. also for quick solution you can get a magnetic but highley not advised on a jeep bc they fall off normal trucks in the woods and we have plastic roofs... so get a mount, a firestick antanne, and radioshack small simple cb unit. 100 bucks or less and will do you justice.

Frank
post #5 of 17 Old 02-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Granite Guru

oh yeah it does come with 12v outlet adapter if you wish not to wire. at least they used to not sure but you can buy one for like 5 bucks if not
post #6 of 17 Old 02-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Granite Guru

I bought a Midland 75 for $79. Works awesome with a 4' firestick and can disconnected to used as portable CB.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 17 Old 02-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Granite Guru

thats sounds good what he said...also firesticks=great call up knowwheretojeep.com im sure eric stocks them. goodluck on the cb install
post #8 of 17 Old 02-22-2011, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrosJeep View Post
go buy a radio shack brand small sized unit for 60 bucks. trust me when i say all of buddies use these and the expensive ones break...only has volume and squelch and it always works with great range...2 cents
this must be the one your talking about?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102653

Last edited by van7559; 02-22-2011 at 10:42 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Granite Guru

its black and has green led.....also i like bc they are small 1/4 of size of a normal cb. if your interested in a loudspeaker outside the vehicle to tell people your going to run their cars over if they dont move/ jk then youll need a larger cb for the watts as the small ones are ony 4 watts..as a cb your golden they work well...any more ? feel free
post #10 of 17 Old 02-22-2011, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

obviously you have to run a coax wire from the cb to the antenna. Where are you hiding this. do I need to stay away from anything besides stupid sharp bends>?
post #11 of 17 Old 02-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Granite Guru

mount it up front like under the glove box is good spot.... run the WIRE CABLE out on of your rear drain plugs wire tie the section that is under the body up away from anything and run to rear antennae. you can keep excess coiled up doesnt seem to affect anything. ive installed a lot of these. im sure some other wheelers on here got wiring ideas also my specialty is stereos really...
post #12 of 17 Old 02-22-2011, 11:35 PM
Rock God

For the same price as the mount you can buy this radio..

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3799949

I run a cheap radio shack cb as well and have no issues. I bought it about 10 years ago and its still going strong. Only advice I would give is make sure it has a plug for an external speaker. You may think you don't need one, but if you ever take the doors off and drive on the freeway you'll know what I'm talking about. I mounted a speaker in the roll bar padding above the drivers seat. Works great doors off and all. You can either make your own mount or drill into the stock carrier and run a angled coax connector like the pic below.

It's very important to tune your setup with a swr meter. There are a ton of cb threads but most importantly is to get the swr low. Usually a bad ground caused bad swr readings. Also, the other switches on the more expensive radios are very nice to have. You can adjust how far you can send and receive and such, but if you don't care about that then the cheapos are great. Sometimes on the trail you'll pick up other people and you can adjust your radio to tune them out depending on range.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Granite Guru

If you are looking for a good, quick, CB education, check out www.rightchannelradios.com. They are great to work with also.

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson
post #14 of 17 Old 02-27-2011, 07:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have always used Wilson 4' flexible antenna. They bend and don't break, which is really important out on the trail. Stiff fiberglass antennas work great on the street, but out on the trail they can break or damage your mounting point.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-27-2011, 07:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2x View Post
If you are looking for a good, quick, CB education, check out www.rightchannelradios.com. They are great to work with also.
x 2. Right Channel Radios are great. Great advice, technical knowledge, pricing, and support.

FWIW, for a budget radio that doesn't take up a lot of space, and works fairly well, I'm very happy with my Cobra 75. It is more than a Radio Shack CB, but I've never had a problem with it, and it installs very cleanly.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #16 of 17 Old 02-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Wheeler

I've got the cobra XX75 (don't know the letters). Have had it 3 years, works great. Added bonus was it's easy to install.
post #17 of 17 Old 02-27-2011, 09:41 PM
JKO Addict!

I have the Uniden 510XL on this mount. I use a 4' Firestik on a Teraflex mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode