dual battery question???? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-18-2011, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

dual battery question????

If you are going to put together a dual battery set-up with Optima Batteries, can you run a Red Top (which I have) and a Yellow top, if I want to use it for winching?
Or should I go with 2 Yellow Tops?

35" KM2's - Poly Performance Fox Coilover system - TeraFlex Arms - PSC Ram - Rugged Ridge Modular Snorkel - COP 4X4 Nack Attack - Tatton Driveshaft - S-POD - 5.13 and 6 speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-18-2011, 06:07 AM
Rock God

seeing as how optima batteries are nowhere near as good as what they were 10 years ago, i wouldnt use them.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-18-2011, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post
seeing as how optima batteries are nowhere near as good as what they were 10 years ago, i wouldnt use them.
What would you use?

35" KM2's - Poly Performance Fox Coilover system - TeraFlex Arms - PSC Ram - Rugged Ridge Modular Snorkel - COP 4X4 Nack Attack - Tatton Driveshaft - S-POD - 5.13 and 6 speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-18-2011, 06:36 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

A lot of people are using Odyssey batteries. Same type of tech (AGM) as the Optimas but been getting better ratings.

Sears sells their Platinum battery (rebadged Odyssey) in two flavors. Regular and Marine (Deep cycle). I have the Marine in my Jeep.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0134000P?mv=rr

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0034000P?mv=rr

09 BLACK Sahara 4 Door - Auto, G2 4.88s
TF 2.5" Coil Lift w/shocks, TF Frnt Adj Trac, TF FLCA, JKS Discos, JKS Rear Adj Trac, LOD Full Rear GEN2,
A.C.E. Rock Rails, Viper TB: Check the Garage for more.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-18-2011, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoridinTX View Post
A lot of people are using Odyssey batteries. Same type of tech (AGM) as the Optimas but been getting better ratings.

Sears sells their Platinum battery (rebadged Odyssey) in two flavors. Regular and Marine (Deep cycle). I have the Marine in my Jeep.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0134000P?mv=rr

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0034000P?mv=rr
Thanks, I'll check it out

post #6 of 12 Old 02-18-2011, 07:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Im a optima convert as well, but if you have one already id use the red top as your main Jeep Batt and get a yellow top as you backup bat with all your lights and winch tied to the yellow top.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-18-2011, 07:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

here is a link to my Dual batt install.

Dirtys Dual batt writeup
post #8 of 12 Old 02-18-2011, 11:36 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandegrift View Post
If you are going to put together a dual battery set-up with Optima Batteries, can you run a Red Top (which I have) and a Yellow top, if I want to use it for winching?
Or should I go with 2 Yellow Tops?
No, you should always use matched batteries in any multi-battery situation. Different batteries have different charge/discharge characteristics and having mismatched sets will not be optimal for most switching/charging systems.

Zombie Killer - 2010 Unlimited - Dark Charcoal Pearl
Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 12 Old 02-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Granite Guru

If your running 24v yes there could be a problem with mis matched batteries but in a dual battery 12v set up you only charge and use one battery at a time!
post #10 of 12 Old 02-24-2011, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I will probably just go with 2 new ones now that the tax return is showing up this year..

post #11 of 12 Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Rock God

I am running the Sears Diehard Platinums. Basically they are rebadged Odessy batteries but with a 4 year replacement warranty. Optima only gives you a 1 year replacement warranty.

SFCCotton's_Most_Awesome_Dual_Battery_Install_Thre ad!

post #12 of 12 Old 02-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjammin View Post
If your running 24v yes there could be a problem with mis matched batteries but in a dual battery 12v set up you only charge and use one battery at a time!
You better check yo'self before you wreck yo'self

Many battery isolators are actually combining the batteries the vast majority of the time. The isolator will kick in when the primary battery drops below a threshold voltage to ensure you can always crank, but other than that you are usually hooked in parallel so they both charge at the same time.

(parallel doesn't change the voltage, going in series would give you a 24v system which most people have no reason to mess with)

Zombie Killer - 2010 Unlimited - Dark Charcoal Pearl
Follow my build
or check out my

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode