Clutch safety switch - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-10-2011, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Clutch safety switch

I was woundering if there was anyway to disable the clutch saftey switch?

09 X 3.5 rubi express on 35" KM2's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Granite Guru

Yes. There are three wires to the switch(located at the master cylendar). 1-??-Cruise, 2-Yellow/Orange-start interlock, 3-Black-ground.

If you ground the yellow/orange wire the PCM will always think the clutch is pressed in and it will defeat the system. HOWEVER, I am finding mixed info on whether the cruise really uses pin 1 or if it uses pin 2 along with the starter override, so it's possible by doing this your cruise will no longer work. Wouldn't hurt to try.

There is also a relay that is triggered in 4 low that does the same thing.

You could always wire up a switch in the dash or wherever that grounds out pin 2 for the starter override and then you can just turn it "off" when you want to use cruise. Not sure if the PCM cares about the clutch for any other reason or if it will set any codes, but chances are pretty good if it sets a code against the clutch switch it won't turn the MIL on anyway.

Or you can just put it in 4 low and the switch is bypassed via the relay.

I assume you're wanting to put remote start on? Just don't leave it in gear
post #3 of 4 Old 02-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Banned

When you engage the clutch while cruise control is being used, it will disengage the cruise control and let you start coasting. I'm thinking you will lose cruise control functionality if you ground that wire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxx View Post
HOWEVER, I am finding mixed info on whether the cruise really uses pin 1 or if it uses pin 2 along with the starter override, so it's possible by doing this your cruise will no longer work. Wouldn't hurt to try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
When you engage the clutch while cruise control is being used, it will disengage the cruise control and let you start coasting. I'm thinking you will lose cruise control functionality if you ground that wire.
Yes. The schematics/service manual I have has conflicting info in it and I don't have my jeep here to confirm if all three wires are really wired up. It would be an easy experiment. With a paper clip, that is if your cruise works unlike mine that doesn't work anyway.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode