CB question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 02-08-2011, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Question CB question

looking at the Cobra 19 DX IV 40 channel CB Radio...any good? or is there a better one...not looking for a rediculous one just something to use on the trails

Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
Jim- 2010 Natural Green Pearl, 6spd, hardtop/soft top, RK 2.5" max travel lift kit,

"No Hesitation"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-08-2011, 07:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Just for trails it is a good unit. I ran one for a year and just happened to get a deal on a 29 and upgraded

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #3 of 30 Old 02-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Granite Guru

A couple of us have had issues with Cobra 19 CB's.

In both cases you can receive fine, but the transmit function is garbled. I personally would not recommend one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 02-08-2011, 07:59 PM
JKO Addict!

i bought the cheapest one on earth! 23 dollars on Amazon everyone in my group runs em and there bullet proof....tho they arent pretty to look at

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #5 of 30 Old 02-08-2011, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Just for trails it is a good unit. I ran one for a year and just happened to get a deal on a 29 and upgraded
well other than the $100 difference, whats the benefits of having the 29? i was thinking if i got the Cobra 19DX i would get a firestick antenna (dont know the size to get either) was thinking of mounting on top of the stock tire carrier

not really need to talk to anyone that isnt near by example trails or going to trails with a little convoy of people so we dont got to get pinned for using our cellphones

Jersey
Crew
Jim- 2010 Natural Green Pearl, 6spd, hardtop/soft top, RK 2.5" max travel lift kit,

"No Hesitation"
post #6 of 30 Old 02-08-2011, 08:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbrew View Post
A couple of us have had issues with Cobra 19 CB's.

In both cases you can receive fine, but the transmit function is garbled. I personally would not recommend one.
I've seen that due to not checking swr, not adjusting swr, and whole heatedly trusting a firestick because everyone uses one. They are not a bolt and go!

I did have a 2 month old Wilson fiberglass antenna that was transmitting like crap. Swr was 4:1, new antenna, not running it long like that, it was good to go.

Cb is only as good as the coax and antenna.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #7 of 30 Old 02-08-2011, 08:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinduda2 View Post
well other than the $100 difference, whats the benefits of having the 29? i was thinking if i got the Cobra 19DX i would get a firestick antenna (dont know the size to get either) was thinking of mounting on top of the stock tire carrier

not really need to talk to anyone that isnt near by example trails or going to trails with a little convoy of people so we dont got to get pinned for using our cellphones
that was the one thing i didnt scimp on...i got a 5ft firestick

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #8 of 30 Old 02-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I've seen that due to not checking swr, not adjusting swr, and whole heatedly trusting a firestick because everyone uses one. They are not a bolt and go!

I did have a 2 month old Wilson fiberglass antenna that was transmitting like crap. Swr was 4:1, new antenna, not running it long like that, it was good to go.

Cb is only as good as the coax and antenna.
I recently added a new firestick (last one got stolen) and adjusted the SWR. Have not yet had a chance to check it out. Problem may be fixed.

post #9 of 30 Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

ok so if to save money i got the Cobra 19 (or another series, around the same price) if i went with the Firestik company, what coax and antenna should i consider getting if the antenna is mounted to the top of the stock tire carrier?

Jersey
Crew

"No Hesitation"
post #10 of 30 Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Rock God

I have a couple cobra's at home and am still running my cheap radio shack CB. The cobras are a little big for where I mount my cb so the cheapo is working great. It's very important to have a good SWR reading. If you can find someone with a meter you'll be very happy. For the trail you really don't need a top dollar cb since your group isn't usually a few miles long. The coax cable should be a good thick cable. When looking for an antenna I look for flexability, weight and if it's tunable. Heavy antennas suck on the trail and a stiff antenna will more than likely break. I'm running a cheap, thin, not tunable, but very flexible antenna and my SWR reading is great. I don't even know the name someone at work gave it to me. My wilson was great but was way too heavy. I guess in summary whatever gives you a decent SWR reading will work...lol Good luck. Oh yeah make sure you have a good ground on your radio and antenna. I have my radio ran to a switched relay from the battery.
post #11 of 30 Old 02-08-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeGo4x4 View Post
I have a couple cobra's at home and am still running my cheap radio shack CB. The cobras are a little big for where I mount my cb so the cheapo is working great. It's very important to have a good SWR reading. If you can find someone with a meter you'll be very happy. For the trail you really don't need a top dollar cb since your group isn't usually a few miles long. The coax cable should be a good thick cable. When looking for an antenna I look for flexability, weight and if it's tunable. Heavy antennas suck on the trail and a stiff antenna will more than likely break. I'm running a cheap, thin, not tunable, but very flexible antenna and my SWR reading is great. I don't even know the name someone at work gave it to me. My wilson was great but was way too heavy. I guess in summary whatever gives you a decent SWR reading will work...lol Good luck. Oh yeah make sure you have a good ground on your radio and antenna. I have my radio ran to a switched relay from the battery.
well what exactly is a SWR?

Jersey
Crew

"No Hesitation"
post #12 of 30 Old 02-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Granite Guru

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Setting_SWR.htm

post #13 of 30 Old 02-08-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbrew View Post
that helps thanks

Jersey
Crew

"No Hesitation"
post #14 of 30 Old 02-09-2011, 06:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

For the antenna, TeraFlex makes a mount that bolts onto the stock tire carrier. I think it's about $30 for their mount. I actually have it on my rig w/ a 4' Firestik and that thing sticks up probably 2 ft above the roof. I'll try to take some pics a little later today so you can see what it looks like. So, I'd say a 3 ft stik should probably do the trick. Make sure you get a good HD spring and isolator, though. This is all the stuff I've been told, so I don't really have too much experience just yet. Hell, my Cobra 29 LX LE isn't even installed yet becuase I can't figure out a way to mount the damn thing. Seriously considering the Tuffy overhead console, but gotta come up with the funds first.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #15 of 30 Old 02-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Granite Guru

The Cobra 19 does not save the previous channel when power is removed.

I hooked mine up to accessory power so I did not have to worry about forgetting to shut it off. I am pretty sure the cheap $23 dollar version that my buddy bought from Amazon does remember what channel it was on when power is removed.

Just something to think about... It may annoy the shit out of you over time like it does to me.
post #16 of 30 Old 02-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Granite Guru

Oh also the 3' Fire Stick is the way to go. Sticks up only about 1' or so over the roof line. I can communicate well with everyone in my area. No issues with that.
post #17 of 30 Old 02-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Wheeler

I am running the Cobra 19 with no problems.

As for
(The Cobra 19 does not save the previous channel when power is removed.)

Had the same problem because I also powered it to a switched source. But found if I turned it off rather than it shutting off because I turned the Jeep off it would remember the channel.

I also run a firestick. It's about 4-5 inches above the roof. I am able to receive and transmit at least 10-15 miles based on the truckers I tested it with.
post #18 of 30 Old 02-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Granite Guru

Firestick also makes a nice antenna quick disconnect mount. I bought one of those this time around, so I can remove the antenna quickly if I have to leave the Jeep in a questionable location.

post #19 of 30 Old 02-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have always use a Francis antenna for over 12 years or so now and have always had superb luck with them. The have wire wrapped up inside like the firesticks.
The cobra 25 is a great little radio that is easy to mount due to size and can be highly modded later on.
I run a cobra 25 that has been peaked and tuned and running a galaxy final drive. It's pushing around 40 watts and talks and receives with the best of them.
The swr is really important on how good your radio works also. If you live around any trucks stops the may have a small cb shop around that could be helpful.

You smell that?
post #20 of 30 Old 02-09-2011, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

all good info guys, when you can not to be a pain but please post pics of the antenna on your rig and the CB mounted in the rig ....my main concern is when it warms up i dont need someone taking my CB out of the car while the top and doors are off parked somewhere. unless its easy to disconnect the radio and store it in a lock box or somewhere out of sight

Jersey
Crew

"No Hesitation"
post #21 of 30 Old 02-09-2011, 01:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Mine is just behind the tire, made a little angle iron mount bolted to where the stock tire carrier bolts. I haven't had a theft issue, knock on wood. Do watch and adjust your SWR when using a quick disconnect. I have seen those give bad connections.

post #22 of 30 Old 02-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

Quote:
Mine is just behind the tire, made a little angle iron mount bolted to where the stock tire carrier bolts. I haven't had a theft issue, knock on wood. Do watch and adjust your SWR when using a quick disconnect. I have seen those give bad connections.
Good comment on the quick disconnect. With a quick disconnect on, my best SWR on Channels 1, 19, 40 were roughly 2.3, 1.8, 2.5. Someone told me comments similar to Goodysgotacuda's so I removed the disconnect. and lowered to: 1.9 1.4, 2.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #23 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Rock God

Garage

I originally had the Cobra 19 but it shorted out. Specifically, the transmit function shorted out. The receive continued to work. The reason why is because I didn't have it grounded and was getting a SWR reading of about 5. So, what they say is true - an SWR too high CAN ruin the radio... Of course, I didn't realize the SWR was that high until I replaced the CB and tested it (read on).

With that said, I also ran the Midland 1001z (also a cheap/basic model) without the ground and it survived (it didn't fry). Ultimately I figured it all out when I picked up an SWR meter and tested it. I properly grounded my CB and now I get a SWR reading of about 1.2... MUCH better.. I am still using the Midland 1001z.

I am using a 4 foot Firestick II (model FS4-B) with the Teraflex Spare Tire mounting bracket. The mounting bracket is grounded to the frame. The CB radio is mounted to the center console along the side, facing up (driver's side). I used the mounting bracket that the CB came with.

I can take some pics if you'd like to see it - I don't have any readily available..

In all fairness, I can't say for certain that the Cobra is "cheaper quality" but I will say this about it - I found the LCD VERY hard to read (impossible to read if you're at even a slight angle).. The Midland is 10 times easier to read the digital display. Other than that, I think they are pretty similar radios..

My next radio is going to be the Cobra 29 LX LE 50th Anniversary CB Radio. Badass, but hard to find right now.. I'm waiting until I get the Tuffy overhead console first (this is a full sized CB radio) for a proper installation..

~JG

Last edited by JeepingGreen; 02-10-2011 at 04:15 PM.
post #24 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingGreen View Post
I originally had the Cobra 19 but it shorted out. Specifically, the transmit function shorted out. The receive continued to work. The reason why is because I didn't have it grounded and was getting a SWR reading of about 5. So, what they say is true - an SWR too high CAN ruin the radio... Of course, I didn't realize the SWR was that high until I replaced the CB and tested it (read on).

With that said, I also ran the Midland 1001z (also a cheap/basic model) without the ground and it survived (it didn't fry). Ultimately I figured it all out when I picked up an SWR meter and tested it. I properly grounded my CB and now I get a SWR reading of about 1.2... MUCH better.. I am still using the Midland 1001z.

I am using a 3 foot Firestick II (model FS3-B) with the Teraflex Spare Tire mounting bracket. The mounting bracket is grounded to the frame. The CB radio is mounted to the center console along the side, facing up (driver's side). I used the mounting bracket that the CB came with.

I can take some pics if you'd like to see it - I don't have any readily available..

In all fairness, I can't say that the Cobra is "cheaper" but I will say this about it - I found the LCD VERY hard to read (impossible to read if you're at even a slight angle).. The Midland is 10 times easier to read the digital display. Other than that, I think they are pretty similar radios..

My next radio is going to be the Cobra 29 LX LE 50th Anniversary CB Radio. Badass, but hard to find right now.. I'm waiting until I get the Tuffy overhead console first (this is a full sized CB radio) for a proper installation..

~JG
sure i wouldnt mind some extra pics....but also thinking the cobra 75 might be good since its all in one and i can hide it easier. obviously my jeep is my DD and when the doorless/topless anyone can just rip something out if really needed less shown better chance of keeping my stuff

Jersey
Crew

"No Hesitation"
post #25 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
sure i wouldnt mind some extra pics....but also thinking the cobra 75 might be good since its all in one and i can hide it easier. obviously my jeep is my DD and when the doorless/topless anyone can just rip something out if really needed less shown better chance of keeping my stuff
Yeah, I know how you feel.. I leave my Jeep with the top off but I'm still nervous.. Right now, I just have the cheap Midland and someone would have to be pretty desperate to steal a $30 CB, but still, I understand the concern.. It might even act as an attractor, even if a potential thief wasn't interested in the CB itself.. I think that's why I like the Tuffy overhead console - it has the locking box to hold the CB..

As for the Cobra 75, I wheel with a few people who use it and they seem to like it just fine.. Don't forget - although it is "compact", there is an additional "box" - (the "brains") which must be installed. Everyone I know installed the "box" behind their glove box. Just thought I'd point that out because some people I've spoken with think that the 75 is "portable", which it is not..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode