Satellite Radio ? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-08-2011, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Satellite Radio ?

Hello all. I just installed my Gobi rack Sunday. When I was cruising around town Monday, I noticed my satellite radio cutting in and out a bit. Has anyone with a Gobi (or any other rack) experienced this? Is it just a freaky coincidence? I have not driven my JK today. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 AM
JKO Addict!

The antenna is on top of the sound bar behind the passenger. Pretty much just forward of that speaker behind the passengers head. Guess it could be blocking the antenna.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-08-2011, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I could not handle that. I am addicted to satellite radio now. It is not too bad. Just a cut out here and there. I have a stereo guy who can fix everything. I may see what he says. Keep the information coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I had an external magnetic antenna from an old portable Sirius unit. I used that and put the antenna on the hood, bypassing the one on the soundbar. Antenna kits are not that expensive.

09 BLACK Sahara 4 Door - Auto, G2 4.88s
TF 2.5" Coil Lift w/shocks, TF Frnt Adj Trac, TF FLCA, JKS Discos, JKS Rear Adj Trac, LOD Full Rear GEN2,
A.C.E. Rock Rails, Viper TB: Check the Garage for more.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Rock God

What you've done by installing the rack is create a Farady Cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
A Faraday cage or Faraday shield is an enclosure formed by conducting material or by a mesh of such material. Such an enclosure blocks out external static electric fields. Faraday cages are named after the English scientist Michael Faraday, who invented them in 1836.
In layman's terms, by adding a steel mesh outside the vehicle you are hindering the antenna from acquiring the satellite signal. To correct your issue you need to buy an after market antenna and place it outside the vehicle.

The OEM head unit uses a standard connector so you could always buy a cheap replacement from Car Toys, Best Buy, etc. If you go this route you can mount the antenna on the hood cowl for better reception.

And here's a very good antenna from Car Toys made by Terk. Take special note of the connector. This antenna plugs right into the head unit; no splicing or adapters needed.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!
post #6 of 16 Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

maloCS,

You are the man! Thanks for the info. I am buying one today.

Brian

PS-NIce Jeep!
post #7 of 16 Old 02-09-2011, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
The antenna is on top of the sound bar behind the passenger. Pretty much just forward of that speaker behind the passengers head. Guess it could be blocking the antenna.
Is the navigation antenna the one resting on top of the MYGIG unit?
post #8 of 16 Old 02-09-2011, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I have a 2010 if that makes a difference.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Couldn't I just run the factory antenna up to the Gobi and attach it somehow?
post #10 of 16 Old 02-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconrad5150 View Post
Couldn't I just run the factory antenna up to the Gobi and attach it somehow?
You could if the wire were longer. From my observation the factory antenna has just the right amount of length to reach the factory mounting location. You could always try and lengthen the wire by splicing it but I don't know how hard of a job that would be. The wire might be shielded like coax which makes cutting/splicing much trickier.

I paid $30 for the after market Terk antenna. It was in stock at Car Toys and the sales guy let me take it out to my Jeep to verify the connector (I just left my driver's license with him). Once I had the antenna in hand it was a very easy job to install it.
  1. Remove factory dash panel.
  2. Remove the head unit.
  3. Detach the factory antenna connector.
  4. Secure factory antenna wire with zip ties out of the way.
  5. Remove plastic panel on side of dash to expose the round, foam filled firewall hole.
  6. Push coat hanger through foam filled firewall hole
  7. Position new antenna in preferred location out side Jeep on hood cowl.
  8. Tape new antenna connector to coat hanger.
  9. Pull new antenna wire through round, foam filled firewall hole.
  10. Remove coat hanger and run new wire up to the head unit area.
  11. Connect new antenna, plug in factory wire harness and test reception.
  12. If all is well then screw in head unit, reattach the factory dash molding and have a beer.

In total, the entire process took me about 30 minutes. Most of that time was fiddling with the factory dash panel. Once the dash panel was removed it only took me about 10 minutes to mount and run the wire.

Here's a tip to preserve the finish of the dash panel since some prying with a screw driver or similar tool is required. Just use some blue painters tape to cover the area where the tool will leverage against. Once the dash panel is installed remove the tape and the finish should be safe and sound. On my first go round with removing the dash panel I did not do this and I scuffed it pretty good in certain areas.

BARK AT THE MOON!

Last edited by MaloCS; 02-10-2011 at 11:34 AM.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-12-2011, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Terk antenna is on the way. I am going to attach it and locate it exactly where your antenna is placed.

Thanks,

Brian
post #12 of 16 Old 02-26-2011, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Done. I installed the new antenna last Saturday before our trip to Disneyland. Easy install. The reception is better than before the Gobi. Thanks for all of your help and insight. Brian

Last edited by bconrad5150; 02-26-2011 at 12:31 AM.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconrad5150 View Post
Done. I installed the new antenna last Saturday before our trip to Disneyland. Easy install. The reception is better than before the Gobi. Thanks for all of your help and insight. Brian
Good to hear.

BARK AT THE MOON!
post #14 of 16 Old 03-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Granite Guru

x1,000,000 on the answer to put in a new one / gobi is your new faraday cage.

I did see a few folks report that the hood install sometimes cut out in certain angles / situations...so I bought a terk meant for install onto semi-truck mirrors and clamped it up top to the gobi. Best reception I've ever had. Often it doesn't even cut out going under overpasses now.

'08 unlimited rubicon with mopar offroad bumpers, warn winch, and gobi roof rack. Who needs more? Now wants more....on the other hand...
post #15 of 16 Old 04-05-2011, 01:22 AM
Granite Guru

Mine will cut out if I am near a powerful radio transmitting tower. It does it in the same places in town. I have had the same issue next to semis on the highway. They are probabely using higher than legal powered CB's.

2009 JK Rubicon:
post #16 of 16 Old 08-24-2011, 10:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

anyone have a link to the exact antenna discussed above?

I've got the same issue with my Sat radio and also have a Gobi roof rack. Sometimes when the Sat radio cuts out, it doesn't even show that it lost signal, it just cuts out...happens every 2 minutes or so at least, very annoying.

I'd like to go with the Terk anetenna but the one I see on the Best Buy website looks like it has a connector for the plug and play units not a in-dash stereo unit.

Thanks

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode