2011 JK CB Mounting Suggestions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old 02-08-2011, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
ShortBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North TX
Age: 42
Posts: 3,213
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews
2011 JK CB Mounting Suggestions

I haven't seen anything yet on people installing CB's in 2011's as of yet, so I want to know if anyone has done so. If so, post up some pics, ideas, etc. I have a Cobra 29 LX LE that I'm looking to mount in my JKU and I can't figure out where the hell to put the thing. Above the rearview mirror is pretty much out, as I've already tried. The problem is the coax coming out of the back of the radio. Not enough room between the rear of the CB and the windshield.

So what suggestions do you guys have?

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
ShortBus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 46 Old 02-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Rock God
 
JerseyJK07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ
Age: 41
Posts: 1,408
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
I haven't seen anything yet on people installing CB's in 2011's as of yet, so I want to know if anyone has done so. If so, post up some pics, ideas, etc. I have a Cobra 29 LX LE that I'm looking to mount in my JKU and I can't figure out where the hell to put the thing. Above the rearview mirror is pretty much out, as I've already tried. The problem is the coax coming out of the back of the radio. Not enough room between the rear of the CB and the windshield.

So what suggestions do you guys have?

mine is mounted overhead and i have a 29 as well. ill post pictures up tomorrow for you.

Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
Dont like im still here? Tough shit! Shut Up & Wheel!
JerseyJK07 is offline  
post #3 of 46 Old 02-08-2011, 09:06 AM
JKO Addict!
 
leman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Guntersville
Age: 29
Posts: 2,907
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
Not enough room between the rear of the CB and the windshield.

So what suggestions do you guys have?
they make 90* elbows that you can put in so the wire doesnt kink.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
leman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 46 Old 02-08-2011, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
ShortBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North TX
Age: 42
Posts: 3,213
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJK07 View Post
mine is mounted overhead and i have a 29 as well. ill post pictures up tomorrow for you.
in a 2011? Not sure if they changed anything with the upper portion between 2010 & 2011, but I know the dash is different. If I didn't have that little cubby there, I could easily mount it there with the mount provided. But I even bought a longer, HD mount and really can't even make that work. The only option I've found so far that will for sure work is buying the Tuffy overhead console for $215 and mounting it there. Would look great and serve its purpose, but not sure I really want to impede my access to the open air when the top is off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
they make 90* elbows that you can put in so the wire doesnt kink.
I may have to look for one. Radio Shack maybe?

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.

Last edited by ShortBus; 02-08-2011 at 09:10 AM.
ShortBus is offline  
post #5 of 46 Old 02-08-2011, 09:19 AM
JKO Addict!
 
leman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Guntersville
Age: 29
Posts: 2,907
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.co...idCategory=147

not sure if radioshack has them. maybe try a truck stop if there is one near you or there is one $3

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
leman is offline  
post #6 of 46 Old 02-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Rock God
 
Chuck Bullitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Providence Village, TX
Age: 49
Posts: 781
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
in a 2011? Not sure if they changed anything with the upper portion between 2010 & 2011, but I know the dash is different. If I didn't have that little cubby there, I could easily mount it there with the mount provided. But I even bought a longer, HD mount and really can't even make that work. The only option I've found so far that will for sure work is buying the Tuffy overhead console for $215 and mounting it there. Would look great and serve its purpose, but not sure I really want to impede my access to the open air when the top is off.



I may have to look for one. Radio Shack maybe?

Radio Shack is hit or miss. If you go into Denton anytime soon, there's a TA on I-35 @ 77 and there's a Love's just North of there on 35. I've had more luck at Love's getting CB stuff.

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
Chuck Bullitt is offline  
post #7 of 46 Old 02-08-2011, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
ShortBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North TX
Age: 42
Posts: 3,213
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bullitt View Post
Radio Shack is hit or miss. If you go into Denton anytime soon, there's a TA on I-35 @ 77 and there's a Love's just North of there on 35. I've had more luck at Love's getting CB stuff.
Yeah, I've found that out on a couple things. I actually bought my Firestick and coax Love's on 35. The main issue is just finding a way to mount that thing in my rig. WOuld be easy if I had that flat panel on top of the dash like teh '07-'10, but because people wanted a little cubby to put crap, they added that there for '11. It's nice, but creates a problem for mounting a CB. I'm finding out slowly that they didn't really gear the 2011 interior for off-roading, which seems like a kick in the head for Jeep owners. When I bought it the salesguy told me they modeled the 2011 interior after the Commander. WTF?!

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
ShortBus is offline  
post #8 of 46 Old 02-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 530
Feedback: 1 reviews

Radio shack has nothing. I just installed mine in my 2011 yesterday. Its not mounted yet because my drill is dead but I am mounting it to the right of the center console kinda by the passengers feet... Ill mount it tomorrow and try to remember pics

2011 JKU Rubicon
PSC Evap Skid
PSC Diff Covers
Dynomax Rock Crawler exhaust
ACE Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex W/ Bilstein 5100's
35" Nitto Trail Grappler's
G19T is offline  
post #9 of 46 Old 02-08-2011, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
ShortBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North TX
Age: 42
Posts: 3,213
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19T View Post
Radio shack has nothing. I just installed mine in my 2011 yesterday. Its not mounted yet because my drill is dead but I am mounting it to the right of the center console kinda by the passengers feet... Ill mount it tomorrow and try to remember pics
They do actulaly carry the coax 90 for about $5. Are you mounting a Cobra 29? I even toyed with mounting it to the center console, but couldn't even really find a way to do that properly. So yeah, pics when you get it done.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
ShortBus is offline  
post #10 of 46 Old 02-08-2011, 10:15 AM
JKO Addict!
 
Bubblegoose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: WA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,012
Garage
Feedback: 7 reviews

I went this route, since I got the overhead for $150. Couldn't pass it up. Works really well; just have to watch the headroom. I will never go back to a handheld CB. The 29s are far more capable.

Bubblegoose1 is offline  
post #11 of 46 Old 02-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 530
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
They do actulaly carry the coax 90 for about $5. Are you mounting a Cobra 29? I even toyed with mounting it to the center console, but couldn't even really find a way to do that properly. So yeah, pics when you get it done.
Well there was nothing at my Shack but anyways I ended up finding this old cb/scanner shop that was owned by this old guy. He was obviously struggling for money so I was glad to buy from him. He ended up giving me money saving advise too.

I am not mounting a cobra 29 I have a midland 5001z. I am running my mounting bracket under the radio and mounting it on an angle facing me on the passanger side of the center console. Then the handset will be mounted just to the bottom left of the passanger air bag. I'm 6'3" so I have no problem reaching.

2011 JKU Rubicon
PSC Evap Skid
PSC Diff Covers
Dynomax Rock Crawler exhaust
ACE Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex W/ Bilstein 5100's
35" Nitto Trail Grappler's
G19T is offline  
post #12 of 46 Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
ShortBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North TX
Age: 42
Posts: 3,213
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblegoose1 View Post
I went this route, since I got the overhead for $150. Couldn't pass it up. Works really well; just have to watch the headroom. I will never go back to a handheld CB. The 29s are far more capable.

Perfect! I actually called Quadratech and asked it the Cobra 29 would fit. They said it would, but now that you've shown pics, I'm more confident that this option will work. And it looks great, too!

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
ShortBus is offline  
post #13 of 46 Old 02-08-2011, 10:53 AM
JKO Addict!
 
Bubblegoose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: WA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,012
Garage
Feedback: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
Perfect! I actually called Quadratech and asked it the Cobra 29 would fit. They said it would, but now that you've shown pics, I'm more confident that this option will work. And it looks great, too!
The 29 fits like a glove. Not rattles or issues at all.
Bubblegoose1 is offline  
post #14 of 46 Old 02-08-2011, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
ShortBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North TX
Age: 42
Posts: 3,213
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblegoose1 View Post
The 29 fits like a glove. Not rattles or issues at all.
The only concern I have now is the face on the 29 LX LE. The main knob is in the center and the bottom of the face is rounded beneath it, so it may require some "riggin" to make it work.



Where'd you get such a deal on the console?

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.

Last edited by ShortBus; 02-08-2011 at 10:58 AM.
ShortBus is offline  
post #15 of 46 Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 AM
JKO Addict!
 
Bubblegoose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: WA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,012
Garage
Feedback: 7 reviews

I don't believe the knob should be much of an issue; there is plenty of room to move the CB back within the mount.

I got mine from a JKO seller about a year ago.
Bubblegoose1 is offline  
post #16 of 46 Old 02-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Rock God
 
JerseyJK07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ
Age: 41
Posts: 1,408
Feedback: 0 reviews

1" Alum square tube. been there 4 years and no issues! Holes my Original 29 very well. no bouncing or sag in the bar. Mic cord is long becouse of where i used to have moutnhs in my old truck, and radio was tuned with the mic so did not want to change it

Attachment 30011

Attachment 30012

Attachment 30013

Attachment 30014

Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
Dont like im still here? Tough shit! Shut Up & Wheel!

Last edited by JerseyJK07; 06-13-2011 at 06:44 AM.
JerseyJK07 is offline  
post #17 of 46 Old 02-10-2011, 08:13 AM
JKO Addict!
 
Goodysgotacuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 13,230
Feedback: 1 reviews

Mine is up high like that, putting a retractor on the mic is the best thing I've done to that setup. Highly recommended!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Goodysgotacuda is offline  
post #18 of 46 Old 02-10-2011, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
ShortBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North TX
Age: 42
Posts: 3,213
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJK07 View Post
1" Alum square tube. been there 4 years and no issues! Holes my Original 29 very well. no bouncing or sag in the bar. Mic cord is long becouse of where i used to have moutnhs in my old truck, and radio was tuned with the mic so did not want to change it.
Now that's a viable option! At least until I can get enough cash for the Tuffy overhead console.

And BTW.....Nice Tits!

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.

Last edited by ShortBus; 02-10-2011 at 08:38 AM.
ShortBus is offline  
post #19 of 46 Old 02-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Rock God
 
JerseyJK07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ
Age: 41
Posts: 1,408
Feedback: 0 reviews

LOL thanks! Wife bought them for me! I like Tuffy's but with side pin mic cant use it. I also have Mossfit Finals and few other mods so wont fit in the tuffy anyway!

plus i can take it out anytime i want with just undoing the knobs for the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
Now that's a viable option! At least until I can get enough cash for the Tuffy overhead console.

And BTW.....Nice Tits!

Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
Dont like im still here? Tough shit! Shut Up & Wheel!
JerseyJK07 is offline  
post #20 of 46 Old 02-10-2011, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
ShortBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North TX
Age: 42
Posts: 3,213
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJK07 View Post
LOL thanks! Wife bought them for me! I like Tuffy's but with side pin mic cant use it. I also have Mossfit Finals and few other mods so wont fit in the tuffy anyway!

plus i can take it out anytime i want with just undoing the knobs for the top.
Funny! Usually it's the husbands buying the tits for the wife!

Yeah, that's something I like about the Tuffy....the fact that I can lock it up and not have to worry about any fingers walking off with my radio.

But until I can get my hands on one, I may use your idea and fab something similar up for the time being. At least it'll be mounted and I can be using it.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
ShortBus is offline  
post #21 of 46 Old 02-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Rock God
 
JeepingGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 933
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
they make 90* elbows that you can put in so the wire doesnt kink.
Clays Radio Shop sells them..



http://www.claysradioshop.com/acc_coaxconnector.htm


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JeepingGreen is offline  
post #22 of 46 Old 02-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Rock God
 
JeepingGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 933
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
The only concern I have now is the face on the 29 LX LE. The main knob is in the center and the bottom of the face is rounded beneath it, so it may require some "riggin" to make it work.



Where'd you get such a deal on the console?
Sorry for the dumb question but where is that radio mounted? That's the radio I've been looking at and was thinking of doing the Tuffy overhead console but it's rather bulky..


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JeepingGreen is offline  
post #23 of 46 Old 02-10-2011, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
ShortBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North TX
Age: 42
Posts: 3,213
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingGreen View Post
Radio Shack sells them, but I haven't gone to see if they actually keep them in stock. And I actually drove to Clay's a few days ago to get a taller mount, but so far that idea hasn't panned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingGreen View Post
Sorry for the dumb question but where is that radio mounted? That's the radio I've been looking at and was thinking of doing the Tuffy overhead console but it's rather bulky..
Honestly, I don't know. Just a picture I found of the radio online. From what I've been told, though, it should fit just fine. It's not really any bigger than a regular Cobra 29, with the exception of the rounded part under the knob.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
ShortBus is offline  
post #24 of 46 Old 02-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Rock God
 
JeepingGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 933
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
Radio Shack sells them, but I haven't gone to see if they actually keep them in stock. And I actually drove to Clay's a few days ago to get a taller mount, but so far that idea hasn't panned out.



Honestly, I don't know. Just a picture I found of the radio online. From what I've been told, though, it should fit just fine. It's not really any bigger than a regular Cobra 29, with the exception of the rounded part under the knob.
Ok, that makes sense.. I thought maybe that was inside the glove box of a 2011.. When you say "it should fit just fine", do you mean in the Tuffy Overhead Console?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JeepingGreen is offline  
post #25 of 46 Old 02-10-2011, 11:16 AM
JKO Addict!
 
Bubblegoose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: WA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,012
Garage
Feedback: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
Honestly, I don't know. Just a picture I found of the radio online. From what I've been told, though, it should fit just fine. It's not really any bigger than a regular Cobra 29, with the exception of the rounded part under the knob.
To be sure before buying a Tuffy, send them the photo or model # for fit.
Bubblegoose1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome