Time to upgrade speakers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-03-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Time to upgrade speakers

After reading a few posts it's still unclear which speakers are best. I have the stock base system in my jku 10. I'd like to hear from people who have made the switch what speakers did u get? How's it sound? How much did it break the bank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Speakers are very subjective. You really need to hear/audition different brands of speakers to see what you will like.

That being said, I used Alpine SPR-17S separates for the front speaker replacements, and Alpine SPR-17C coaxial speakers in the soundbar. I also used a JL Audio Stealthbox sub. All of that is powered by an JL Audio HD900/5 amplifier.

I purchased the Alpine speakers from www.sonicelectronix.com and the JL stuff from Crutchfield (authorized dealer for warranty purposes).

09 BLACK Sahara 4 Door - Auto, G2 4.88s
TF 2.5" Coil Lift w/shocks, TF Frnt Adj Trac, TF FLCA, JKS Discos, JKS Rear Adj Trac, LOD Full Rear GEN2,
A.C.E. Rock Rails, Viper TB: Check the Garage for more.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Rock God

I read a post on a while back that was saying really good things about Mopar speaker upgrade, I believe available from quadratech.

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Wheeler

the mopar upgrade is solid, they are Kicker components. I have always had good results with Kicker gear

my friend, if you can't fix it with a hammer, it must be an electrical problem!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-03-2011, 07:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I went with the Kenwood high performance all the way around with a Kenwood receiver with a detachable face. I have plans on adding an amp and have an idea for a sub setup....
post #6 of 12 Old 02-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Rock God

Garage

Great sound costs money. How much do you want to spend?

That said, I've had $10,000 systems in past trucks. I went the opposite end on this Jeep: just put in the Mopar Kicker Upgrades & that's it. Bang for the buck, they're tops. Good sound upgrade, not much money. I don't see spending more than that in a noisy Jeep anyway. (An opinion I wouldn't have had when I was 30).

Sound better than that can easily be had. For top dollar sound, my ears prefer Focal separates & JL Audio subs. But there a big number after the "$" and in front of the comma.

2011 5.3L GM LC9 Aluminum LS V8 Conversion w/ Custom Dyno Tune
Aluminum Genright Bumpers Front & Rear - Aluminum Nemesis Rockers
PR44/RCV/Reid Front - Superior Rear - ORF Front / Poly Rear Cage - ORF Tire Carrier
RK 3.5" Springs - Fox 2.0 Adjustable Shocks - JKS Arms & Trackbars - Poly Steering
post #7 of 12 Old 02-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Wheeler

i have the mopar kicker upgrade and they sound great HUGE difference and they're bolt in which is nice no drilling....

stock on the left and kicker on the right
post #8 of 12 Old 02-13-2011, 04:48 AM
Granite Guru

i've heard some good things about the kicker upgrade package, haven't heard them personally. on the other hand i have heard some Polks and MBQuarts, that are freaking awesome, naturally more expensive. i would defiantly go with some sort of coaxial, or compnonent set

I don't need anger management classes you need shut the f*#K up classes.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Granite Guru

I removed my faulty Stock CD/MP3 unit and installed a DVD Player from Pioneer and for my speakers all 6 I used Kenwood 3ways at 50watts each and I used 10watt Kenwood Tweeters! I have the best home theater only in a Jeep! Best buy did everything with the headunit and all speakers for $1500 installed thats the best deal I could get! I watch DVDs in complete Stereo sounds amazing!
post #10 of 12 Old 02-14-2011, 06:40 AM
Granite Guru

I went with the mopar kicker speaker upgrade, and mopar amp upgrade. The dash speaker upgrade was not easy but it was doable. I had a 8" sub in the basement so I installed that in a sub box, drilled out an aluminum L bacracket and used it to bolt down to the cargo hold fastnet bolt on the passenger's rear side. Fits great. I connected the sub to the rear channel out of the kicker upgrade amp. to get the sound to be perfect I'm going to add a Sony Xplod 1000 to drive the sub. You can hear the sub kick now but it does need more. I'll be upgrading the tweeters in the front this summer.
The upgrade was worth it. But, I think kicker should build an amplifier for the jeep rated at 500 watts. 50 watts per channel and 300 watts for the sub. That would be ideal.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-14-2011, 07:05 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
I went with the Kicker Package from Q-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhchockey84 View Post
After reading a few posts it's still unclear which speakers are best. I have the stock base system in my jku 10. I'd like to hear from people who have made the switch what speakers did u get? How's it sound? How much did it break the bank?
And was very happy with The Tweeter / soundbar speaker upgrades. About an hour for all four.

My tone-deaf wife even commented after I had done the upgrade: "I was wondering when you would get sick of the poor sound quality.

I then replaced the front dash with Kickers from Crutchfield. The drivers side was a bitch to do, but they both took me about two hours.

I have the original sub-wofer and that kicks ass.

Good luck!
post #12 of 12 Old 02-14-2011, 07:31 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoridinTX View Post
Speakers are very subjective. You really need to hear/audition different brands of speakers to see what you will like.

That being said, I used Alpine SPR-17S separates for the front speaker replacements, and Alpine SPR-17C coaxial speakers in the soundbar. I also used a JL Audio Stealthbox sub. All of that is powered by an JL Audio HD900/5 amplifier.

I purchased the Alpine speakers from www.sonicelectronix.com and the JL stuff from Crutchfield (authorized dealer for warranty purposes).
The Alpine fronts that you got from Sonic, did you need a adapter?

2010 Rubi
2006 BOM GTO
2004 Yamaha Banshee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode