Very Simple Question - What Battery to Buy? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 02-01-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Very Simple Question - What Battery to Buy?

Hey JK,
I just took my 07 JKU in for an oil change - I know, I'm a loser for having a shop do it, but it's freakin freezing out there and I don't have a garage - and they said my battery was all but shot. I have a pair of KC Daylighters and a SuperWinch 9.0 on the thing, so I was wanting to switch to a dual battery system in the spring, but for now I just need a new battery. Can anyone point me to a good battery review thread or article or explain what the differences are so I can make an educated decision? I am ok on mechanical stuff, but I don't know S*&^t about electricity other than red to red and black to black. Help me out here.
Cheers,
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-01-2011, 09:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sears diehard
post #3 of 22 Old 02-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Rock God

Garage

^^ But make sure its the platinum. Marine grade if you want a deep cycle.

2DR '07 Rubicon 6 Spd, Jeep Green

Taller, heavier, slower, dirtier ... BETTER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 02-01-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I do want to do this right the first time, but is the Diehard Platinum really worth the money?
post #5 of 22 Old 02-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Rock God

Garage

The platinum P1 is the re-baged odyssey. $202 beats the hell out of $370.
I am considering fabbing up a larger tray to use a larger P1, then not going the dual battery route.
If you are still going dual in a couple months, you could get a temp from pick a part or the local wrecker, costs around $20 and you get a 15 day warranty.
post #6 of 22 Old 02-01-2011, 10:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

This is a great battery:
AutoZone- $99.00
Duralast Gold 34-DLG

Part Number: 34-DLG
Weight: 37.5 lbs
Warranty: 8 YR
Application: Automobile
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 800
Core Charge Applicable: Yes
DIN Designation: BCI or EN Only
EN Designation: DIN or BCI Only
Height (In): 7.875
Height (mm): 200
Length (In): 10.25
Length (mm): 260
Width (In): 6.8125
Width (mm): 173
Weight (Lbs): 38.4
Post Location: Top Post
Reserve Capacity (Min): 105
Right Or Left Hand Positive: Left
Voltage: 12

Last edited by 4x4x4; 02-01-2011 at 10:16 AM.
post #7 of 22 Old 02-01-2011, 03:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I know a lot of people are brand conscious and so on, I used to run nothing but optimas.
My dad used to run nothing but die-hards or interstates.

Now you'll really have a hard time convincing me to buy anything other than a $75 MAXX from walmart.
They work and when they quit working, theres a full, NOT prorated, 3 yr replacement warranty with no hassles.
Walk in with it, they look at the sticker, less than 3 yrs, you go get one off the shelf and leave.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #8 of 22 Old 02-01-2011, 04:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
I know a lot of people are brand conscious and so on, I used to run nothing but optimas.

Now you'll really have a hard time convincing me to buy anything other than a $75 MAXX from walmart.
They work and when they quit working, theres a full, NOT prorated, 3 yr replacement warranty with no hassles.
Walk in with it, they look at the sticker, less than 3 yrs, you go get one off the shelf and leave.
The diehard does show a 4 year free replacement on it. It's a $200 battery however. I don't have experience with either, I do have experience with Optima...won't get any more of my $$

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #9 of 22 Old 02-01-2011, 04:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMCobra64 View Post
^^ But make sure its the platinum. Marine grade if you want a deep cycle.
Yep. 2 of them.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Rock God

I have dual Diehard Platinum batteries. 4 year replacement and is a rebadged Odessy.

post #11 of 22 Old 02-02-2011, 05:49 AM
Granite Guru

defiantly a fan of the diehard batteries. might be a few extra bucks but worth it in my opinion. i had one in my blazer what was supporting a crazy system and it never let me down. when i need to replace the one in Miranda she'll be getting the biggest diehard she will take.

on the other hand Venom defiantly knows his stuff so it might be worth it to check on the maxx from wallyworld. my buddy runs those in his boat and drains and recharges every weekend for a couple years now and never had an issue

I don't need anger management classes you need shut the f*#K up classes.
post #12 of 22 Old 02-02-2011, 06:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
The diehard does show a 4 year free replacement on it. It's a $200 battery however. I don't have experience with either, I do have experience with Optima...won't get any more of my $$
Sort of a hijack, but can anyone say why they don't like Optimas? I've seen lots of bad posts, and only a few good. I bought a blue top literally 20 minutes ago because it was 30% off with no core charge. All together about 130 dollars... have I messed up?

Sent via telepathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
post #13 of 22 Old 02-02-2011, 06:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWalker View Post
Sort of a hijack, but can anyone say why they don't like Optimas? I've seen lots of bad posts, and only a few good. I bought a blue top literally 20 minutes ago because it was 30% off with no core charge. All together about 130 dollars... have I messed up?

Sent via telepathy
I run a yellow top in the jeep and a red top in my van and have never had an issue with them. I know the blue top are the marine/rv batteries.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #14 of 22 Old 02-02-2011, 07:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Many have complained the optimas were not holding up like they used to and failing and so on. After MUCH research I went with the p-1 rebadged odyssey from sears and have had no issues. My wife has the MAxx from Wally world and I used to run them in the dodge, they spun the cummins over pretty well, but my wife's car this morning didn't spin its usual speed this morning in 25 degree weather. It's a Toyota solara 4 cylinder, the beast fired right up with the remote start like it does all the time. Her battery is right at two years old. When the MAxx takes a shit in hers I will replace it with the p-1, not taking any chances with my wife and 2 year old getting stranded because I bought a cheap battery. That would be a no putang night for sure!

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #15 of 22 Old 02-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:

Sent via telepathy
I have had Optimas in the past and they just do not hold up like the use to and I switched to the diehard which seems to work great. I will not be buying an Optima any time soon...
post #16 of 22 Old 02-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:

Sent via telepathy
A few years back they changed their production plant and the quality control went with it. It's pretty much hit or miss if you get a good batch or not. Had a buddys boat go through 5 in a summer. Similar stories all around. But then some get ones that last like they used to. Why waste the money on a gamble when for a few bux more, you are guaranteed quality.
post #17 of 22 Old 02-02-2011, 07:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
Sears diehard

Yep, Platinum P1.

Very happy.
post #18 of 22 Old 02-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Last two Optima Yellow-top's that I had.....both took a shit before reaching 3 years. Got about 2 years out of one, and just under 3 years on the 2nd one.

Never again. Completely hit or miss it seems.

Haven't used, but continue to hear good things about the DieHard Platinum.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #19 of 22 Old 02-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post

This is exactly what I do with all of my families vehicles. That plus a 'jumpstart in a box' in the trunk and no worries. I bought one battery every for my last truck that I owned for twelve years. About every 2.5 years the wal-mart battery died and I would get it replaced for free.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
post #20 of 22 Old 03-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Rock God

Garage

Hmmm... Diehard, Odyssey can't say anything bad about. I personally have had good experiences with the optimas. Had a red top in our 99 grand caravan for seven years without an issue, sold the van with the battery in it.

I have a yellow top in my JK now, granted I am barely hitting 2.5 years with it but no issue to date. And its been strained by the winch a few times.

post #21 of 22 Old 03-15-2011, 09:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have the Napa $110.00 battery in the Jeep and a car. The one in the car is 2 1/2 years old and Jeep about a year so I can't say for longevity but have always had good luck with them in the past.

Just throwing this one out there, FWIW all Napa batteries are sealed maintenance free.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #22 of 22 Old 03-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

I've used the Autozone Gold series batteries the last 10 years or so. No question warranty replacement. I've drained them down below 2V and been able to bring them back to life.

Put an O'Reilly's battery in the Jeep when my stock one crapped out on me in Palo Duro. Has an 84 month warranty...so it'll be a while before I have to buy my next.

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode