Mix-Match battery question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-30-2011, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Mix-Match battery question

NOTE: I wrote this same quip on another member's post, before i realized I could posssibly been guilt of hijacking his thread... So here goes, in it very own post!

I just installed a 12.5k winch. I have been thinking about doubling up the batteries. I REALLY like the way 12voltguy's product lets you run off one battery, operate gear off another, isolates both AND lets you self-jumpstart... Does a dual battery set up need ANYthing else??

But I have been kicking THIS idea around: Does mixing these optima/odysee batteries make sense? Specificlly, what if I did a red top direct replacement to handle day-to-day regular-shmegular vehicle operations, THEN pair it up with a yellow top deep cycle for winching, long lighting, refridgerator, compressor, etc? Would this red/yellow combo be the best set up?

Does anyone else do this?

dual batteries ARE definately in my future, but I need some advice in the matter. Any thoughts? Thanks.

08 Detonator Yellow JKU sold 04MAR2013
-Patriot, Vet, Christian, Son, Brother, Father, Husband, Friend, blue collar Irish guy-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-31-2011, 09:48 PM
Granite Guru

Wow Dude,

You stumped everyone with that one Great job!

I was always told it is bad to mix and match batteries but that may not apply since you are going to isolate them from one another. Never heard any real reason for that advice though, so it may just be B.S.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-01-2011, 03:12 AM
Granite Guru

Optima has a great tech line and a media spokesman named Jim that surfs the forums; I'd ask there to get a legitimate and technically-oriented answer.

If it were me, I'd run a pair of yellowtops together.

Safety fast,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Get to know
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-01-2011, 03:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Just be sure to read up on the latest Optima experiences, they aren't that great.

If I understand right a Yellow is a "dual purpose" starting/deep cycle battery, so why mix it with a starting battery? I'd imagine the red to not like a real heavy pull, and I don't see the advantage...

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-02-2011, 05:57 PM

JimmyJK, Cbass122 is correct about dissimilar (age, size, or type) batteries needing to be isolated from each other. While I am partial to Bill's suggestion about dual YellowTops, batteries are only one piece to the electrical puzzle. 12voltguy is very knowledgeable about electrical systems and it would be a good idea to talk to him directly about your current setup, including your wiring and charging system, the accessories you have and any additional accessories you are planning on installing. He should be able to determine if your wiring and charging system are up to the task of handling your application and the battery configuration that will work best for you.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
post #6 of 7 Old 03-10-2011, 05:18 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

you can. shouldnt be a problem as long as they are isolated. I'm having 3 batteries installed. a red top for starter and accessories, yellow top for the sound system. yellow top for winch and air. I know, Im overkill with everything "CAIN" LoL

• Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

post #7 of 7 Old 03-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Granite Guru

If you are going to ever be running them in parallel then optima specifically recommends against mixing types or even ages of batteries. See the optima website at the bottom of their FAQs. Best I can assume is that different batteries have different internal resistances and thus the current won't flow evenly thru them.

2009 Rubicon Unlimited, FLAME RED
37's on WE beadlocks. ProRock44 w/ARB, RCVs, spyntecs, PSC hydro assist. Rear D44 w/35 spline ARB. 4.5" Poly/TF lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode