ORO Lites - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 01-30-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

ORO Lites

I am planning on running the ORO Lite LED tail lights and the also the LED third brake light/license plate lite relocation.

What do I need to purchase to make all this work outside of just the lights?

I have heard you need some additional resistors and the write ups I have seen showed some relay installed. That looks like it is for the TJ, does JK require this also? Just want to make sure I get what I need when I go to install these two items.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

I hope you dont have to do a bunch of bullshit to get the lite dots to work. I plan on getting the RR corners shortly with the lite dots and hate twisting wires.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #3 of 26 Old 01-30-2011, 04:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Don't buy the Litedots. They are overpriced and the LEDs don't last for whatever reason.

Spend about 30 bucks on some standard LEDs.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 01-30-2011, 04:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I got the GenRight plate/3rd brake light with a wiring harness ...from what I understand all I have to do is match the brake light wire and the plate light wire to the corresponding wires on the harness, then both grounds/negs to the harness. It's my project this weekend.

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #5 of 26 Old 01-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Don't buy the Litedots. They are overpriced and the LEDs don't last for whatever reason.

Spend about 30 bucks on some standard LEDs.
Would they work with river raider corners? I dont even care if i get leds, id be satisfied with regular lights, as long as they work with the corners.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #6 of 26 Old 01-30-2011, 04:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I understand that there are some new OROs out there... hopefully they improved the design... I have a set of the old ones that I just wired up. I really like the look, hopefully they will hold up. Worst case I will switch over to the truck style. I just like the look of the blacked out light. The LEDs are nice and bright.

You will need a resistor hooked up from the blinker wire to the ground wire - the best one I found is from Poison Spyder:

http://shop.poisonspyder.com/LED-Res.../41-04-650.htm

The resistor gets hot so make sure you keep it away from anything that will melt. I drilled a couple of holes and pop riveted it to a panel inside the tail light well.

Simply cut off the stock plug and wire the OROs to that.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-30-2011, 04:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
Would they work with river raider corners? I dont even care if i get leds, id be satisfied with regular lights, as long as they work with the corners.
Don't know. Never ran those corners. PSC runs normal LEDs in their corners, but they don't have the cut out like the RRs do. Do you have the corners already? Maybe you could order them without that mount that they come with, or even just a normal hole cut into them?

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #8 of 26 Old 01-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Don't know. Never ran those corners. PSC runs normal LEDs in their corners, but they don't have the cut out like the RRs do. Do you have the corners already? Maybe you could order them without that mount that they come with, or even just a normal hole cut into them?
I dont have the corners yet.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #9 of 26 Old 01-30-2011, 06:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Corey, you can run the truck lights too, just not the grommet style.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #10 of 26 Old 01-30-2011, 06:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Jody - you still fast blinking or have you added a resistor?
post #11 of 26 Old 01-30-2011, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well I already ordered the Lite Dots and the RR corners so there is no going back now.

Just want to make sure that I get the parts needed to make it all work.

So the PSC resistor pack is all thats needed for the LED Tail lights.

And for the LED third brake light/licence plate light just splice into the wires, no worries.
post #12 of 26 Old 01-30-2011, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-jeep View Post
I got the GenRight plate/3rd brake light with a wiring harness ...from what I understand all I have to do is match the brake light wire and the plate light wire to the corresponding wires on the harness, then both grounds/negs to the harness. It's my project this weekend.
Sweet can you let me know how it goes. I plan on doing this part next weekend. I am moving the license plate to get ready for the RR corners.
post #13 of 26 Old 01-30-2011, 07:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
Jody - you still fast blinking or have you added a resistor?
I added a resistor, but it still fast blinks. I must have it wired in bad, but haven't had time to jack with it.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #14 of 26 Old 01-30-2011, 07:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbass122 View Post
Well I already ordered the Lite Dots and the RR corners so there is no going back now.

Just want to make sure that I get the parts needed to make it all work.

So the PSC resistor pack is all thats needed for the LED Tail lights.

And for the LED third brake light/licence plate light just splice into the wires, no worries.

You are correct. I tested it myself earlier. The one thing that did not make any sense was that the instructions on the PSC website stated to connect the resistor to the running light and ground wire... I tried that and still had the fast flash. I moved it to the blinker light (which makes sense) and it worked just fine. Like I said, it did get hot - obviously the longer it is on the hotter it will get. I imagine the worst would be sitting at a stop light waiting to turn... all and all it isn't that big of a deal, just be mindful of it when positioning it.
post #15 of 26 Old 01-30-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
You are correct. I tested it myself earlier. The one thing that did not make any sense was that the instructions on the PSC website stated to connect the resistor to the running light and ground wire... I tried that and still had the fast flash. I moved it to the blinker light (which makes sense) and it worked just fine. Like I said, it did get hot - obviously the longer it is on the hotter it will get. I imagine the worst would be sitting at a stop light waiting to turn... all and all it isn't that big of a deal, just be mindful of it when positioning it.
Can you tell me what the colors of these wires are or is it just completely obvious? I have not actually pulled the lights off to take a look yet.

I don't use my blinkers most of the time anyway so I doubt they will get that hot very often
post #16 of 26 Old 01-31-2011, 05:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Can you tell me what the colors of these wires are or is it just completely obvious? I have not actually pulled the lights off to take a look yet.

I don't use my blinkers most of the time anyway so I doubt they will get that hot very often
White with a yellow stripe = Brake/Turn which is the RED wire on the OROs
White with a purple stripe = Running which is the BROWN wire on the OROs
White with a green stripe = Back up lights which is the BLUE wire on the OROs

The last one is the ground wire, black on the Jeep and a white wire with a little screw clamp on the OROs.

What corners are you going with?
post #17 of 26 Old 01-31-2011, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
White with a yellow stripe = Brake/Turn which is the RED wire on the OROs
White with a purple stripe = Running which is the BROWN wire on the OROs
White with a green stripe = Back up lights which is the BLUE wire on the OROs

The last one is the ground wire, black on the Jeep and a white wire with a little screw clamp on the OROs.

What corners are you going with?
I ordered the RROR JK Crusher Corners.

So I should just hook the resistor across the oro red and white wires then right?

Any explanation why the resitor only goes on the blinker? I would think you would need one for the running lights + one for the turn signal?

edit: for typo

Last edited by Cbass122; 01-31-2011 at 09:35 PM.
post #18 of 26 Old 02-01-2011, 06:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You are correct about where to place the wires, it is how mine is set up and no fast blink....

I understand that the LEDs need very little power to work, the resistors share the load which slows down the blink.... Hopefully someone who understands wires and shit can explain better... I am just about clueless when it gets more complicated than hot/ground.

And on the RROR corners - use the template and get to cutting. You need the large hole (9"x12") for them to fit correctly. There is a subtle change in the stock body that you can feel and see if you look for it. There will be about a 1/8" gap if installed correctly. That will be filled with silicone to finish it off.
post #19 of 26 Old 02-02-2011, 04:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Sweet can you let me know how it goes. I plan on doing this part next weekend. I am moving the license plate to get ready for the RR corners.

Took me about 2 hours...

Finished my GenRight plate/3rd brake light today:

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Adrenaline Offroad
post #20 of 26 Old 02-02-2011, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-jeep View Post
Took me about 2 hours...

Finished my GenRight plate/3rd brake light today:
Sweet! Looks good. How is the light for the license plate? Looks like it could be a little brighter in the pic?

So did you have any issues or learn anything you want to pass along before I tackle this?
post #21 of 26 Old 02-03-2011, 02:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Actually, I think it's brighter than the OEM. Nothing to it.

Disconnect the battery negative. Remove both rear lights to gain access to the housings.

Mount the light on the plate bracket and run the wiring down to the opening at the bottom of the passenger side light housing, through the housing, and through the firewall boot.

I had already disconnected my 3rd brake light and rerouted it from an earlier wiring job. I had already pulled the wires back through the cargo door and run then along the inside of the long plastic piece on the inside of the door.

Disconnect your plate light and run it through the firewall boot and under the cargo floor carpet.

Connect all the appropriate wires near the limiting starp for the cargo door.

Add any protection and secure everything with zip ties ...many, many zip ties.

Reconnect the battery and test.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Adrenaline Offroad
post #22 of 26 Old 02-03-2011, 03:15 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I'm going to give the short version of this because I lost some details in the translation but I just had a very interesting conversation with our friends at ORO.

The way that the JK is wired doesn't allow it to read whether or not a bulb is there, it reads the amp pull from each individual bulb throughout the entire vehicle. So if you change the left front turn signal to an LED bulb that light will blink fast...LOL

There are a couple of ways to fix the fast blink, but none of them work 100% of the time because the computer in the JK is too smart.

You can use the resistor we've been talking about here and deal with the heat buildup that we've all been concerned about.

The other fix is to wire a 3157 bulb back into the wiring between the factory wires and the new LiteDOTs and paint the bulb black. You'll want to secure it in the inner fender to keep it from getting banged around and broken. The paint will keep you from putting on a light show at stop lights.

The light bulb will trick the computer most of the time to believe it is receiving the right load at the tail light bulb which will result in Ritalin for your tail lights. (Works most of the time but they still might get a little crazy)

If you have more questions about this I would highly recommend chatting with Steve @ ORO.

He also mentioned that the LiteDOTs have changed to a higher LED count and new circuit board which they believe will end the issues with durability.

Marcus

post #23 of 26 Old 02-03-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Faulk, nothing is ever easy is it

I guess I will wait to get them installed and then if need be figure out what to do afterwards.

I already have the lights and resistors on the way so hopefully it all just works out of the gate.
post #24 of 26 Old 02-03-2011, 05:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Mine don't fast blink with the resistors wired in..... Not sure what changed with them on there bit it works for now. If they start fast blinking I can live with it vs chasing down a fix.

On edit...... now the passengers side fast blinks.... some times...

The drivers side is fine. Kinda goofy.

Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert; 02-13-2011 at 07:52 PM.
post #25 of 26 Old 05-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Rock God

I just finished installing my RR crusher corners and lite dots. I messed around with the resistor to stop the fast blink, but gave up ( it was 1am) when they didn't seem to fix the fast blink.

I may try again before I silicone seal the corners, but I have two questions.

1. Is there a legal rate of blink (in NJ if you know) thereby requiring these resistors?
2. If the answer to #1 is no, and I don't care about fast blink, will I kill my front directional bulbs faster if i just leave the rear LEDs as is?

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode