How remove remove stock radio in 2011 JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-25-2011, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
How remove remove stock radio in 2011 JK

I have a stock radio that I want to replace with a media center 130. Does anyone know how to remove the radio out of 2011??

thanks 0IIII0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Granite Guru

Couldn't find a write-up here, here is a link to another resource that might help. It is for a different model year, but unless the 2011's have changed much IRT the radio it should help.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...-radio-482089/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-25-2011, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Thanks mckbrew...the 2011 interior is slightly different the vents are next to the radio instead of under and there is a tray on top of the radio. I looked in a couple of other forums myself and found a post about removing 4 screws which are hex two under the steering wheel one in the cubby hole under the radio and another in the tray...but no pictures....which always help and no details on removing the trim around the radio..I have a few days before the new radio gets here..hopefully I can find something. If I can't I will forge ahead and do a write up on it with pictures. Thanks again

Jerseypeach

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-25-2011, 09:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseypeach View Post
Thanks mckbrew...the 2011 interior is slightly different the vents are next to the radio instead of under and there is a tray on top of the radio. I looked in a couple of other forums myself and found a post about removing 4 screws which are hex two under the steering wheel one in the cubby hole under the radio and another in the tray...but no pictures....which always help and no details on removing the trim around the radio..I have a few days before the new radio gets here..hopefully I can find something. If I can't I will forge ahead and do a write up on it with pictures. Thanks again
Best of luck with your search and please do

There were two here in the write-up index but they were both pre-2011

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-26-2011, 03:32 AM
Rock God

its not hard .. i think its easier than the pre 2011... just four screws.. then the whole thing pops off.. even the area around the gages comes with it.. not bad at all once you see how it comes off.. i posted where the screws are on another thread if i can find it. good luck
post #6 of 11 Old 01-26-2011, 06:12 AM
Rock God

Under the steering wheel is a pop-off panel. This exposes two screws near the top, remove these. In the tray area on top of the radio remove the rubber liner and there is another screw under that. The last on is behind the electric windows control unit, pop this off with a screwdriver or flat plastic blade and then there is one screw under that. Once these (4) screws are removed, the dash panel surrounding the radio all the way over to the drivers side, pops up and out. Once removed, you'll see the four screws on the radio and it just slides out. If you have a set of interior body panel tools, which are various plastic prior bars, it make things much easier and safer on your interior. Good luck. I don't think I've missed anything. It's really pretty easy to remove.

Ben

Ben Hedrick
Projects:
2011 6.4L VVT SRT8 HEMI Rubicon

2010 6.1L SRT HEMI JK Unlimited Rubicon
2007 5.7L HEMI JK Unlimited Sahara
2002 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute
2003 6.4L Stroker HEMI Jeep AEV Brute
2005 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute
2014 5.7L HEMI JK Unlimited Rubicon eXpedition Jeep

post #7 of 11 Old 01-26-2011, 06:44 AM
Rock God

Thanks guys, just ordered up that qtec bracket that goes along side of the radio. I can find a use for that. Unsub

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
post #8 of 11 Old 01-26-2011, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Thanks Ben, it does seem easy to do, this is going to be my project for this weekend, weather is suppose to be nice, I will follow your directions. Can I get a set of the interior body panel tools at my local auto parts store? I will also take pictures of the install as i go along.

Thanks again

Jerseypeach

post #9 of 11 Old 01-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseypeach View Post
I looked in a couple of other forums myself and found a post about removing 4 screws which are hex two under the steering wheel one in the cubby hole under the radio and another in the tray...but no pictures....which always help and no details on removing the trim around the radio..
I have some pics and description in this write-up:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43562

Last edited by J_Westy; 01-27-2011 at 05:53 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-27-2011, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Thanks for the great write up! I will be using them when I remove my radio!

Jerseypeach

post #11 of 11 Old 01-27-2011, 09:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
I have some pics and description in this write-up:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...ht=heated+seat
Excellent, I just added it to the index in this section too

Electronic Accesories - GPS/Stereo/Speakers/MyGig:
How to remove dash cover for radio in a 2011 (part of another install) - J_Westy

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode