Auxilllary Light Switch Mounting Suggestions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Lightbulb Auxilllary Light Switch Mounting Suggestions

Okay, so I just got my 7" HIDX auxillary lights from the Fed Ex man yesterday and I'm trying to figure out where to mount a switch. I'm thinking I'll end up with a contura rocker switch, which is what the Daystar switches are. I've already looked into the Daystar panel, but it won't work in the'11 JK because of a little coin tray beneath that panel in front of the shifter.

Looking for suggestion on where to mount in. Show me what ya' got!

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 08:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

get an spod and call it a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDrinken View Post
Dirty Minion for life™.:the finger:
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
The fact that there is some Fag in you should be upsetting to say the least.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchlayer View Post
get an spod and call it a day
Yup. Seems pricy at first but for what they have wrapped into it it's a VERY nice setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Is that the Simple Solutions thing that mounts on top of the dash that's like $400+? I like the idea, but I really don't want to spend that kind of cash just for somewhere to mount a switch or two for lights, etc. I could use that for something much better than that. I will admit, though, it looks cool as hell!

post #5 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to robctry69

it mounts above the rear view mirror and is a lot more than just a place for switches you should go to the spod website and look at it well worth the money
post #6 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Okay, that's not what I was thinking of. And I actually like that better. But still won't work in my current set-up. I have a radar detector above the rearview mirror.

*flame suit on*

post #7 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 09:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

pricey yes at first glance, but when you install it and get rid of whatever wiring mess you had, you will quickly appreciate it. Just wish I had one for my yj, that is one horrible mess of wires. I held off wiring anything up on the JK until I got the spod. It is so easy to add stuff and troubleshoot if ever needed. Plus they probably have the best customer service of anyone I have ever dealt with. There will still be room for your radar detector as well.

Quote:

Quote:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Research, bro!

Garage

Are you looking for a switch panel or just a place to put the one switch? Rugged Ridge is *suppose* to be coming out in Feb. with a (IMO) cool bank on the drivers side window panel. Also, 12voltguy.com has some awesome (repeat, awesome) looking ones - different sizes (switch capability) meant to mount in different areas.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #9 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 09:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

hers a pic that shows you how much room you have

post #10 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 10:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

where did you get your switch decals Dirty? those look better than the ones that came with the spod

Quote:

Quote:
post #11 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 10:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchlayer View Post
where did you get your switch decals Dirty? those look better than the ones that came with the spod
otrattw sells them. IIRC they are a vendor here

http://otrattw.com/
post #12 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
otrattw sells them. IIRC they are a vendor here

http://otrattw.com/
x2 on those very high quality. I have several.
post #13 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah, right now just looking to mount a single switch. I'm wanting to install my lights this evening, but it may be better to wire up a temporary switch and figure out a more permanent solution later.

post #14 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 11:30 AM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
Yeah, right now just looking to mount a single switch. I'm wanting to install my lights this evening, but it may be better to wire up a temporary switch and figure out a more permanent solution later.
S-pod and call it a day. Take it from someone that made their own version of it... John and his products are the best of the best. P.S. when you finally get one, tell him the tupperware man sent you...

01111001011011110111010100100000011011000110111101 11001101110100001000000111010001101000011001010010 000001100111011000010110110101100101

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl View Post
James just came a little early......
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
...May 2011 bless everyone with pervert wheeling days...
post #15 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Drill a hole in the dash and mount the switch there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjr View Post
S-pod and call it a day. Take it from someone that made their own version of it... John and his products are the best of the best. P.S. when you finally get one, tell him the tupperware man sent you...
I looked at it at first and bawked at the price as well. I still think most of the crap out there for our JKs is overpriced but this one product in particular is very well thought out and very well made. The switch bezel alone is a great fit, the Carling rocker switches they use can't be bought singly for very cheap. Then the printed circuit board, relays and well thought our wiring. Given what they have in this and the low volumes they are churning out the pricing is reasonable. I work in automotive and I am very particular about this stuff and this is the first product I've seen that looks like it was meant to be there from the start.

Don't get me wrong, 12volt guy makes some great stuff too, but the SPOD looks OEM.

But if all you EVER need is 1 switch then just wire it up in the dash. If you ever think you might need more then get the spod and you'll save a lot of time and headache later. You can pull the switches out and they make cheap plastic covers for the holes that you can get from the same guys that sell the printed switch covers.
post #16 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxx View Post
x2 Drop it to the left of the steering wheel and be done it about 5 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I have been known to keep tabs on great looking meat.

Looks delicious.
post #17 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxx View Post

But if all you EVER need is 1 switch then just wire it up in the dash. If you ever think you might need more then get the spod and you'll save a lot of time and headache later. You can pull the switches out and they make cheap plastic covers for the holes that you can get from the same guys that sell the printed switch covers.
That's what I did when I wired mine.

post #18 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 12:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

12voltguy and sPOD.

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
post #19 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 12:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelopez99 View Post
12voltguy and sPOD.

Same here
post #20 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Rock God

I really wanted an Spod, but after dropping $5k for lift and PSC stuff, and getting ready to buy tires it just wasn't in the budget! So I picked up $20 worth of switches at Auto Zone and hit up my project box for some wires. Here is what I came up with....

These will handle my windshield lights, rock lights, plus I ran an extra for whatever comes up next.

The switches look slightly different color plastic in the picture, but not in person.
Davesrb
post #21 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 03:43 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

I started a thread somewhere about doing it myself.... John from sPOD chimed in and was helping me through my thoughts (yeah... he was going to help me make my own, losing both his time and a sale). In the end.... it was clear that I'd only be saving a few bucks and would not have had the clean solution he provides.

It really is worth every cent!
post #22 of 33 Old 01-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

sPOD gets such a loyal following on so many threads. IMO, it's such a great testament that come time when I need switches et. al. I decided a while ago I'm going straight w/ them. Specifically didn't mount my CB up there to save the spot for sPOD!

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #23 of 33 Old 01-25-2011, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
sPOD gets such a loyal following on so many threads. IMO, it's such a great testament that come time when I need switches et. al. I decided a while ago I'm going straight w/ them. Specifically didn't mount my CB up there to save the spot for sPOD!
Actually, I ended up mounting a Carling switch in the dash panel below the right side of the steering column. It works for now, but when I need more switches, I'll probably look to an sPod.

Where did you mount your CB? I just picked up a Cobra 29 LTD BT over the weekend and so far the only feasible spot I can come up with is on top of the dash, which is actually a little cubby in the '11 JK. Other suggestions?

post #24 of 33 Old 01-25-2011, 07:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Where did you mount your CB? I just picked up a Cobra 29 LTD BT over the weekend and so far the only feasible spot I can come up with is on top of the dash, which is actually a little cubby in the '11 JK. Other suggestions?

What needs to be where for the bluetooth to work? I'd imagine you would need a clear shot to speak into? As in on top of the dash or over the rearview?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #25 of 33 Old 01-25-2011, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
What needs to be where for the bluetooth to work? I'd imagine you would need a clear shot to speak into? As in on top of the dash or over the rearview?
I'm thinking on top of the dash is where I'll end up putting it. Just the mounting bracket is a little too short, so I'll have to fab up some sort of extension, or find a different spot. As for the BT, it works off the mic. Just have to hold the mic without keying it for phone calls. Sounds a bit hokey, but I know you can plug in a mic to the back of the radio for that function, too. So if I can find one that I can mount on the dash, or even better in the upper trim panel, that should take care of that issue. The one that Cobra makes just clips onto your shirt or whatever. Not exactly the solution I was looking for.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode