MyGig RER vs. ???? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 01-18-2011, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

MyGig RER vs. ????

I would like to add navigation (in dash) to my 2007 Rubicon. What is out there other than the high speed RER? Is there something with similar features for less money? How about installation? Im not very up on stereo mods so I really don't even know where to start my research. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Must have: Navigation (when moving), hands free calling, bluetooth, DVD, Sirius radio
Like to have: Traffic, iPod/iPhone, input for back up camera

Im sure Im missing something. Would like to stay under $1000.

Marc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eggwhite93; 01-18-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-18-2011, 01:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If I were spending MyGig kind of money, I'd have a Kenwood DNX9xxx

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #3 of 23 Old 01-18-2011, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Why? is it better? More features? How is the install? I have only ever done a standard CD player install.

Marc

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 01-18-2011, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Also that is a bit more than Im looking to spend. I would like to keep it in the $1000 or less range. The myGig would be used if I went that route.

I added to my OP. I think more info was needed.

Marc

Last edited by eggwhite93; 01-18-2011 at 02:14 PM.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
If I were spending MyGig kind of money, I'd have a Kenwood DNX9xxx
MyGig From the dealer = Around $1800
MyGig off Graigslist = Around $600 (look around, they come up pretty often, doesn't matter where it came from as long as its high speed)

MyGig looks great cause it fits like factory and I am very happy with it. Plus add the lockpick or allgig and really go to town.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-18-2011, 02:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You can get the Kenwood for under $1k.

I have the MyGig in the '11 Grand Cherokee and it is worth $600, but that is about it. Don't forget to add $200 for the lockpick so you can actually use it while driving. After everything I've heard about the MyGig, I find it to be mediocre at best. It can't even begin to compare to the factory NAV/Sat/Radio/CD in the Infiniti we traded in.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #7 of 23 Old 01-19-2011, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Anyone else have options or opinions?

Marc

post #8 of 23 Old 01-20-2011, 02:16 PM

Kenwood dnx6960
post #9 of 23 Old 01-22-2011, 03:15 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to Oside5ka Send a message via Yahoo to Oside5ka

I run a jensen in mine it's got Nav/DVD/Dual zone playing Sat radio ipod and rear camera, and it only cost 300 bucks who cares if it get stolen for 300 you can buy 3 for the price of the Kenwood/Pioneer brands.

2011 JKU Rubi 2 1/2" Rough Country, 35's, Mile Marker 9k winch.
2011 Polaris RzR s
2000 Ford Explorer Lifted on 33's (Dead) Roll over)
2007 Sportsman 800
2003 Suzuki Eigor 4x4 (Dead rearended the Sportsman, Guts transfered to a Golfcart)
1996 Yamaha Banshee Stroked with all the goodies
post #10 of 23 Old 02-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Granite Guru

Oh, man... please link to where you bought this stuff. Model #'s too. I'll be all over that like white on rice!

Technical write-ups, trip photos, firearm related posts. Just finished my M416-A1 restoration!

post #11 of 23 Old 02-11-2011, 06:32 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafunk714 View Post
Kenwood dnx6960
If you're looking for the easiest install then the MyGig is for you, as it's literally plug and play. For about $1000 (including your lockpick, ipod cable, etc) and one hour or so of your own time you can install it yourself.

I don't have any doubt that the Kenwood is a better headunit all the way around, but I wanted something that would work, give me all the features I wanted and be simple to install, that's why I went with the MyGig and I've been happy with it.
post #12 of 23 Old 02-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Granite Guru

I don't necessarily want easy. I want cheap! I've heard a lot of good things about the Jensen double DIN Nav units. Oside5ka, which one did you get and where?

Technical write-ups, trip photos, firearm related posts. Just finished my M416-A1 restoration!

post #13 of 23 Old 02-11-2011, 08:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I find it laughable that anyone would think installing any Radio/Nav unit is difficult.

MyGig, plug n play
Aftermarket, buy the power/speaker adapters and it's plug n play.

, Granite,
post #14 of 23 Old 02-11-2011, 08:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Is this the Jensen unit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jensen-VM9424-Do...item5195240407

, Granite,
post #15 of 23 Old 02-13-2011, 12:18 AM
Wheeler

I'm usually a big aftermarket head unit guy, but the RER is pretty damn good. I bought a 2010 lock-picked off of e-bay. The Kenwoods have good GPS but are too slow, and cartoony GUI, and the Pioneers are faster and have better GUI, but the GPS gets bad reviews. I love the bread crumb dropping feature of the MYGIG. I did replace my Infinity sub w/ 2 Pioneer Pro 10s and a MTX amp. The HD is pretty cool also...

2010 Rubi
2006 BOM GTO
2004 Yamaha Banshee
post #16 of 23 Old 02-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Granite Guru

Another vote here for an RER. When I bought my JK in '08, I originally tried both the Pioneer AVIC and Kenwood DNX units and they were garbage. The Pioneer took 3 minutes to start up (1 after a software patch, but that was still bullshit) and the Kenwood's navigation never worked properly.

I'm sure both companies have much better units out today, but I'm still running the RER and have yet to encounter a situation where I wish I had an aftermarket unit.

'07 Wrangler "Rescue" | 4" Teraflex | 35x12.5x17 KM2's | Eagle Alloy 185's | Rubicon Sliders | 4.10's | JE-Reel DS | OR-FAB/RR Bumpers | Billet Shifters
post #17 of 23 Old 02-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Wheeler

I had major problems with my Kenwood DNX6160. 7+ times in the shop because it kept over heating. Stereo shop talked to Kenwood directly and they said they are having problems with the unit's over heating in JKs because they sit on the heat ducts and IFO the defroster. They tried insulating mine from the heat using Dynamat and Dynamat hood insulation. they even installed a cooling fan which was loud and annoying. Nothing really helped. Kenwood suggested cutting the factory connectors and hard wiring it, claiming it would run 25% cooler. I ended up returning it and buying a mygig.

Last edited by ABN82MP; 02-20-2011 at 05:29 PM.
post #18 of 23 Old 02-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Wheeler

For my money I'd look at the deals on crutchfield.com or go to your local best buy and try out some decks. Get a wiring adapter kit for your jeep (so you're not cutting the factory stuff), and get an adaptor faceplate made for your model jeep. Either place will help you get started. Look online for a video on how to get the dash apart, and have at it.

Aftermarket decks are hands-down better than factory because they are constantly revising and bringing in new features, not limited by the minimum 1 year cycle of cars.
post #19 of 23 Old 03-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Wheeler

What is lockpick? Just bought a Mygig and was getting ready to install. Is this something I need?
post #20 of 23 Old 03-01-2011, 08:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Has anyone put a newer version my gig in place of the rer? I have the rer and fng hate it, I can't bring myself to spend the money to lockpick it when it's an 08 and needs to be updated for newer roads and such so I figured the newer versions would have the newer maps and supposedly work better with the iPod/iPhone which is the main reason of wanting to upgrade. I thought that the mygig would be a lot more user friendly and it's not. Or at least locked and non iPhone compatable.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #21 of 23 Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Several comments, questions, points here:
  • I am 100% in the exact same position with EggWhite, with the exception that I used to do car stereo installs, so I'm good there. I have all of the same needs as EggWhite.
  • The appeal to the RER is that is a "factory option". I run topless and doorless, all of the damn time. And aside from getting a motion detector to actuate a 12-gauge, I really do not want to get my stereo jacked. I have at least ten security measures during the install, but the best deterence, is a thief thinking that you do not have some shiny Alpine, Kenwood, Eclipse, triple-pane, 3-D, projection DVD player to steal, instead you have plasticky factory junk that most wouldn't bother with (except the car stereo thief that is a connoisseur).
  • When some of you have found these on Craigslist, how have they been listed? I've searched endlessly, and never found one for sale.
  • What is the "allgig"?
  • How does one acquire the "lockpick" so you can unlock it for use while driving?
Thanks guys.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #22 of 23 Old 03-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Granite Guru

I found this MyGIG non-nav unit. Mopar #5064678AH. It's the RBZ high speed model. Pretty sure it will fit my 2009 Wrangler. Does anyone know if I may install a backup camera without "lockpicking" it?

post #23 of 23 Old 03-01-2011, 10:43 PM
TJT
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipedu1st View Post
I found this MyGIG non-nav unit. Mopar #5064678AH. It's the RBZ high speed model. Pretty sure it will fit my 2009 Wrangler. Does anyone know if I may install a backup camera without "lockpicking" it?
$50 (average cost) plus the trip to have the dealer flash it, or lockpick for $200 and all the rest of the features.

Aside from the need for the flash, which I'm not sure of. I don't know how else you would plug it (camera) in other than through the lockpick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode