HID hella black magics - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 01-17-2011, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

HID hella black magics

I got my hellas converted over the weekend to hids , and I got to say damn what a difference , they are 35 watts ,6000 k
The guy who did them for me is in the socal area , http://gglighting.net/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Granite Guru

Sweet I did 4 of mine. I just upgraded to rugged ridge hids though but the magic hids were nice
post #3 of 22 Old 01-18-2011, 11:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

have any beam pattern shots? cant really tell much by just looking into the light.

they do look sweet though

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 01-19-2011, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Will take some tonight
post #5 of 22 Old 01-19-2011, 09:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks good, i like the way you have your light mounted on the bull bar. HIDs are definitely the way to go.

I just installed some, and it amazing how crappy they make the stock head lights look.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 Old 01-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Coonasian

Garage

I like the Black Magics but I need some kind of bumper like that. This is a great post, thanks for sharing your experiences and pics.
post #7 of 22 Old 01-19-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

before

after
post #8 of 22 Old 01-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Granite Guru

How much did it run you?
post #9 of 22 Old 01-19-2011, 08:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

did you take that with a night shot on? also looks like the lights should be angled up more?

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #10 of 22 Old 01-19-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krunchytaco View Post
How much did it run you?
85 with them installed by this company http://www.gglighting.net/
post #11 of 22 Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
did you take that with a night shot on? also looks like the lights should be angled up more?
No , I took them with my iPhone , I didn't angle them up more , because I wanted to drive with them on and so far I have not been pulled over yet and when I turned on my headlights it fills in all the dark area in the back

here is with the headlights on

Last edited by jaker; 01-19-2011 at 08:30 PM.
post #12 of 22 Old 01-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Wow .. that looks great! I was gonna do the same thing using the black Hellas and throwing in the HIDs. Good job! The lights look great and fill in the gaps great too.

Did you do HIDs in the headlights too - or are they the stock bulbs?

2010 Bright SILVER Sahara JK 6spd, 3.73's, Tow Package, Dual Top
4" Superlift w/Bilstein 7100's front / Bilstein 5100's rear; Goodyear DuraTracs 315/75/R16 on 16x10s; Bilstein Steering Stab.; Clayton Upper CA's; Adj. Frt&Rr Trackbars; Rock Krawler rear shock relocators (trimmed hangers); BodyArmor Ft Bump; Crown SS extended fr & rr lines; Viper TB; Diablo Tuner; Plate relocate w/LED; AFE filter; 20% tints
post #13 of 22 Old 01-20-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinpokumon View Post
Wow .. that looks great! I was gonna do the same thing using the black Hellas and throwing in the HIDs. Good job! The lights look great and fill in the gaps great too.

Did you do HIDs in the headlights too - or are they the stock bulbs?
The headlights are HID to
post #14 of 22 Old 05-22-2011, 11:29 PM

Glad you are liking your lights man. I am glad I could supply them to you. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you
post #15 of 22 Old 05-23-2011, 12:38 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
No , I took them with my iPhone , I didn't angle them up more , because I wanted to drive with them on and so far I have not been pulled over yet and when I turned on my headlights it fills in all the dark area in the back
K, I don't normally say much about this... but I can't help my self. I honestly hope I read your post wrong and have misunderstood what you wrote. I'm not trying to be an ass. But if you're driving on the roads (highways, etc), using HID driving lights and NOT turning them off when there's oncoming traffic... then you're a complete asshole. Just saying. And if that is the case, I hope some cop tickets the shit outta you.

Even if they're pointed low, HID driving lights are ridiculously bright. HIDs in your headlights should be more than enough that you do not need some 6" HID lights to see up close. This is backed up by the fact that your headlights almost completely drown out the driving lights in your photo. Which means now they're for show, more than anything. I haven't even gone to the 75w HIDs I've ordered for my lights, and I turn mine off the moment there's oncoming traffic - regardless of how far away they are.

Imagine what that looks like coming towards you... especially if you're cresting a hill or any situation where you're higher than oncoming traffic. That's an accident just waiting to happen. I seriously hope you reconsider this, or that I've got it wrong.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop

Last edited by Riptide; 05-23-2011 at 12:41 AM.
post #16 of 22 Old 05-23-2011, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

No , you read it right , and like I said they are pointed low , if you stood in front of my jeep , the light that comes off the hella's doesn't even come off bright straight on at all , No blinding to on coming at all , really when you look at them straight on it just a blue glow , I would noT drive around blinding people on purpose , they are 35 watts in my hella's
post #17 of 22 Old 05-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
K, I don't normally say much about this... but I can't help my self. I honestly hope I read your post wrong and have misunderstood what you wrote. I'm not trying to be an ass. But if you're driving on the roads (highways, etc), using HID driving lights and NOT turning them off when there's oncoming traffic... then you're a complete asshole. Just saying. And if that is the case, I hope some cop tickets the shit outta you.

Even if they're pointed low, HID driving lights are ridiculously bright. HIDs in your headlights should be more than enough that you do not need some 6" HID lights to see up close. This is backed up by the fact that your headlights almost completely drown out the driving lights in your photo. Which means now they're for show, more than anything. I haven't even gone to the 75w HIDs I've ordered for my lights, and I turn mine off the moment there's oncoming traffic - regardless of how far away they are.

Imagine what that looks like coming towards you... especially if you're cresting a hill or any situation where you're higher than oncoming traffic. That's an accident just waiting to happen. I seriously hope you reconsider this, or that I've got it wrong.
X2
I had an asshat in a TJ behind me for a ways last weekend running HID headlights and it was ridculous. He ended up next to me at a light and I had to ask him if he's been pulled over for them yet. He said no and that he had been running them for over a year. I nicely told him I was surprised considering how bright they were. He was oblivious to the fact I was trying to nicely tell him that his lights were obnoxious.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to upgrade to HID OFFROAD lights, I already upgraded to rallylights' Hella H4 conversion with harnesses and have a odd obsession with flashlights but HIDs not designed for the road do not belong on the road.

Last edited by jrider; 05-23-2011 at 07:06 PM.
post #18 of 22 Old 05-23-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

What is wrong with HID headlights as long as they are pointed in the right direction , just like anything , it can be miss use , so if you do it right you won't blind people in any direction you are going
post #19 of 22 Old 05-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Rock God

HIDs with DOT or ecode buckets specifically designed for them are fine. Wife's car has them and I love em. Most conversions just stick a HID in a bucket not designed for them and the light cannot be aimed as intended.
post #20 of 22 Old 05-23-2011, 10:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
X2
I had an asshat in a TJ behind me for a ways last weekend running HID headlights and it was ridculous. He ended up next to me at a light and I had to ask him if he's been pulled over for them yet. He said no and that he had been running them for over a year. I nicely told him I was surprised considering how bright they were. He was oblivious to the fact I was trying to nicely tell him that his lights were obnoxious.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to upgrade to HID OFFROAD lights, I already upgraded to rallylights' Hella H4 conversion with harnesses and have a odd obsession with flashlights but HIDs not designed for the road do not belong on the road.
I had a guy behind me the other night... had some Mitsubishi SUV... had HID's in stock lights... just about blinded me from behind... turned on my Vision X Solo's... he didn't stay behind me long... got in front of me and gave him a shot of my S4100's and D2's... DICK... I hate they guys that have them and don't have the proper lenses so the are a properly directed light... If it's done right... clean light that doesn't blind the drivers in front of them... no problem...

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #21 of 22 Old 05-24-2011, 02:10 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
What is wrong with HID headlights as long as they are pointed in the right direction , just like anything , it can be miss use , so if you do it right you won't blind people in any direction you are going
I ran some HID headlights for a while (and I've since removed them to something legal). I aimed them very low to the point where I was no longer flashed other than the very odd time. Yet even aimed low so I was only sometimes getting flashed by the smallest cars, I was still lighting up the drivers faces of most vehicles.

But that isn't really my issue. As long as the headlights are aimed okay then while that's a pain in the ass, it's not the end of the world (although I would like to see people going with legal and effective options). I was referring specifically to the HID driving lights that you're running on the roads. If the HID headlights are not bright enough (and I honestly don't see how they're not), then you're doing something wrong. Or you've aimed them so low that they're not really effective to you either.

I can think of only a very few reasons one would feel the need to run AUX HID lights in the city. In addition to that, unless you bought the the Hella's in a fog beam pattern, then you've defeated the purpose of the lights by aiming them at the ground to the point where the headlights drown them out.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #22 of 22 Old 05-24-2011, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

My HID headlights are not using the stock housing , the hella are flood pattern , the plan was to use them when needed , but after I got them mounted , and because the way they are mounted on the bumper , the beam pretty much Became useless ,it goes up and down , instead of left and right , I can tell you now , I live out in in a kinda out of the city area , that since I got this all setup , I have not been flash at all , execpt that one readom car , when I had my stock lights in I got flash all the time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode