Silver Star Ultra - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 01-14-2011, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Silver Star Ultra

I've been trying to find some to go into my 09 JK. I'm tired of not being able to see at night. It doesn't look like Sylvania makes the Ultra in H13. I've done some searching here and now I'm confused about which bulbs fit in my stock Jeep. Does the H4 fit? Any others?

I'm also open to considering other bulbs (PIAA, etc) that compare to the Ultras.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Have you checked out the IPF replacement headlights? I picked up a set of those from Northridge 4x4, and they are fantastic! (especially for the cost - about $150)
post #3 of 20 Old 01-14-2011, 07:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Bulbs alone will help, but if you're looking for better, useable light, start with the IPF H4 conversion headlight kit. For $150, it's definitley an improvement. That gets you new headlamp housings with better focused lenses, bulbs, and wiring harnesses to convert from H13 to H4 bulbs. From there, you can opt for HID's later on.

And no, H4 bulbs will not fit the stock headlamp housings.

If you don't want to go IPF, Delta makes a similar kit that does the same thing. It's the Quadbar headlight kit.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-14-2011, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have IPF Aux driving lights and love them.

Can you recommend an on line source for the conversion kit?
post #5 of 20 Old 01-14-2011, 07:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
I've been trying to find some to go into my 09 JK. I'm tired of not being able to see at night. It doesn't look like Sylvania makes the Ultra in H13. I've done some searching here and now I'm confused about which bulbs fit in my stock Jeep. Does the H4 fit? Any others?

I'm also open to considering other bulbs (PIAA, etc) that compare to the Ultras.

Thanks
The ultra's are not out for the 09 JK's, Just the silverstar and xtra vision's.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...RG-Results.htm

If you go with the silverstars...here is a rebate form to save some money
http://assets.sylvania.com/assets/Do...6db7c9394a.pdf
post #6 of 20 Old 01-14-2011, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks again.

I missed the Northridge reference earlier. I checked out the IPF conversion and it looks good. How do the bulbs that come with the kit compare to the Silver Stars. Not much info available on them on the Northridge site but they look blue to me in the picture. I would prefer white light.

Thanks for the Rebate. That helps.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Thanks again.

I missed the Northridge reference earlier. I checked out the IPF conversion and it looks good. How do the bulbs that come with the kit compare to the Silver Stars. Not much info available on them on the Northridge site but they look blue to me in the picture. I would prefer white light.

Thanks for the Rebate. That helps.
The blue bulbs are great - and definitely a "pure white" light on the color spectrum, and some people would say that it leans too far toward a blue. They also have a white bulb version, which is a little less blue. I don't have a direct comparison to the Silverstars, not having run them, but we did a direct comparison to the stock bulbs by parking next to a buddy's JK, and it was (forgive the pun) like night and day.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-14-2011, 09:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

^^I agree completely. I was a little concerned about the "blue-ish" tint, too, but honestly they show up a nice cool white color. The only time you'll really even relize they're blue is when you're parked in front of a window at night with the lights on. You can see at the bottom of the lights that it has a little bit of blue, but as far as the actual illumination, it's as white as can be. I would guess probably between a 5000k & 6000k color temp.

post #9 of 20 Old 01-14-2011, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Great. Thanks for the info guys.

One last question for those running the IPF conversions. Do you get flashed a lot from people who think you have your brights on? Any issues with law enforcement?
post #10 of 20 Old 01-14-2011, 12:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've only had mine on since Christmas, but so far, no issues at all. And I was just behind a local LEO last night. He didn't bother me at all, even after I pulled up next to him to turn at a stop light. And of course, no flasshes from other drivers, either.

post #11 of 20 Old 01-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Great. Thanks for the info guys.

One last question for those running the IPF conversions. Do you get flashed a lot from people who think you have your brights on? Any issues with law enforcement?
Nope. Not once, and I put mine on a few months ago.
post #12 of 20 Old 02-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Wheeler

I just put a set of Silverstar Ultra's into my 2001 Chevy pick up. THen went on a ski trip, left home at 3 AM and had 4 hours of whiteout condition driving.

These lights are the best I have ever used. And safe to say I have a headlight affliction, have used many many different brands.

I have the Silverstar in my JK jeep now for the headlights and the foglights and they are great not alot of complaints. They show up on the road better in the city, and work really well on highway and in snow.

But..... after my recent trip, the Ultra's are far superior for whiteout conditions. Although the Ultra's do not show up as much in the city on the road. I feel the Ultra's are a better light, if you can find them for the jK.

Yes many will say go HID etc... but at $400 a pop, it's a tad silly to me to spend that on a light that will eventually fail and require costly replacement. TO me it's better to be able to stop at any Canadian Tire, auto Center, gas station on a road trip or middle of the night for a replacement bulb, than to suffer through and wait till I get home for a very costly replacement.

I use the same logic in my aux lights as well, I run 6" KC daylighters. Bulbs are 130W and are $5 at my local auto place. takes 5 mins to replace and don't care when they fail. PS the Driving lense is the best one I have tried and I tried them all, spot, and fog. Driving lense is the best.
post #13 of 20 Old 02-21-2011, 01:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

also make sure your headlights are aimed properly. i found out that my stock lights were aimed too high then when i put the lift kit on it made it even worse. now that my light i where its supposed to be its alot better. im also running the silverstars with no complaints. saving to get the IPF conversion though.

also the 10" rigid industries light bar and the 520W of extra lighting helps out with dark spots a good bit

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #14 of 20 Old 02-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
Have you checked out the IPF replacement headlights? I picked up a set of those from Northridge 4x4, and they are fantastic! (especially for the cost - about $150)
Something interesting that Hillwilder showed on another site, is the difference in beam pattern between the IPFs and Cibies. There's a lot of light going upwards right from the lamp. After seeing that, it's no wonder the lights haven't been certified (e-code, dot, etc).

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #15 of 20 Old 08-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Granite Guru

Advance Auto Parts ahs the H13 bulb in Silverstar Ultras
as

BAREFOOT. The "REAL" way to drive a Jeep!!

*******KEEP CALM & CHIVE ON!!!*******
post #16 of 20 Old 08-21-2011, 05:12 PM
JKO Addict!

I have been running the IPF conversion for about 4 months now. Never been flashed, excellent output, would not hesitate to recommend them to my mother.

Will do the HID kit once one of the bulbs blow. But for now a hundred times better than stock.
post #17 of 20 Old 08-21-2011, 07:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I finally have changed to the IPF h4 replacements and put in the 120/130 bulbs. I don't get anyone flashing me at all.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #18 of 20 Old 09-04-2011, 02:06 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
I finally have changed to the IPF h4 replacements and put in the 120/130 bulbs. I don't get anyone flashing me at all.
Everyone seems to have such a negative attitude about being flashed. I personally love seeing a strange girl show me her boobies.... :wink:

Sent from my HTC Glacier

post #19 of 20 Old 10-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Granite Guru

So I finally upgraded to the Silver Star Ultras. $49.99 for a twin pack at Advance Auto Parts. They are on sale this week, $7 off the twin pack. Omg, what a difference they make over the stock bulbs! I took the jeep through some back roads that run thru a state park. Huge improvement in my visibility! Well worth the money $$$
Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Last edited by NJ Spartan; 10-19-2011 at 07:30 AM.
post #20 of 20 Old 10-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Rock God

I'm runnin the Hella conversions. $215.00 reflectors and bulb plus plug and play harness straight from the battery. Some of the others just provide a adaptor to convert H13 to H4 but still uses the undersized factory wires to provide power to the bulbs. I'm just running the 60/55 watt bulbs and big difference but they list up to 100/80 watts if you really want to light things up! No flashes, the reflectors control the light pattern really well.

Probably the best money I've spent on my jeep.

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=4669

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode