2011 CB Install-need wiring advice - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-11-2011, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

2011 CB Install-need wiring advice

Just installed my Cobra 19 DX in my 11' JK and mounted it in the only logical place(on the passenger side of the console) other than the windshield header or inside center console. On the 11' models, there is a 12v power outlet inside the center console once you lift open the armrest. I am sure that I found the wiring coming out of the side of the console and under the passenger side seat. If any of you have removed the console, please let me know the process as so I will not cause any damage. I only need to get access to where the 12v outlet wiring is located so that I can tie in my CB there rather than having to run wiring a lot farther away from the unit. Also let me have your thoughts on the best Firestick and spare tire mount that I should get. As always, your help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-13-2011, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Bump....
Anywhere else I could look that one may know?
post #3 of 14 Old 01-13-2011, 08:01 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm not familiar with the '11s, but on the older ones there is a hole though the firewall just below the windshield on both sides. Remove the access panel on the side of the dash and you can see them. Then wire the CB direct to the battery so you don't have any interference.

As for antennas, get a Wilson Flex if you wheel in the woods. Mounts are up to you and what sort of bumper / tire carrier you have. I prefer someplace near the center of the jeep with the top of the antenna only rising above the roofline about a foot or so. This protects it very well from limbs on the trail while still giving great reception. When a branch does get it, the Wilson Flex can be bent all around and it won't hurt it. Hence the "Flex" part of the name.

Lastly, tune the CB when it's complete or your just wasting your time installing it.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-15-2011, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for your advice!
post #5 of 14 Old 01-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Wheeler

Any pictures of your mounting? I am considering the same CB, but I am unsure about where to mount it.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-23-2011, 12:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

IMHO i would run power and ground straight to the battery from the cb (fused of course) ive heard of grounding issues and high swr by trying to tap into existing circuits.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #7 of 14 Old 01-23-2011, 12:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
IMHO i would run power and ground straight to the battery from the cb (fused of course) ive heard of grounding issues and high swr by trying to tap into existing circuits.
x2 alot of people pickup motor rev,light interference ect... i ran my wire stright from the battery seperate wrap from my lights ect... threw the access panel then up the A pillar then a 90 degree fitting in the roof mounting spot...
im a crystal clear 1 mile out with no tune and a 30 dollar cb !..... very clean install no wires showing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #8 of 14 Old 01-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Granite Guru

I just recently hooked up the Cobra 19 and tapped into the power from cig lighter. Using the 3' firestick and I have SWR of 1.4. I am pretty happy with that set up. Not trying to communicate more than line of sight but no problems with power here...
post #9 of 14 Old 02-24-2011, 08:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
Wouldn't this give the radio the ability to be turned on at all times, whether the key was in ACC or not, though? Could create a battery drain situation if it's accidently left on.....any other solutions?

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-24-2011, 08:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
Wouldn't this give the radio the ability to be turned on at all times, whether the key was in ACC or not, though? Could create a battery drain situation if it's accidently left on.....any other solutions?
That's how I prefer mine. There was a time when headlights were the same way and people had to turn things back off lol

I like it because if I hop out on a trail my radio is still on, if someone needs to say something. Also some radios lose their channel when turning on and off. Lots of starts and stops on a trail, id hate to reset it all the time

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-24-2011, 08:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah, I considered that, too. Having the radio on even when the key is off can be useful. Guess I'll just have to be careful. Probably the only time I'll ever have it on anyway is when I'm either on the trail, or on a road trip.

You going out to B-Port Saturday w/ LSJC?

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Remove the access panel on the side of the dash and you can see them. Then wire the CB direct to the battery so you don't have any interference.
Thank you very much. I spent longer trying to find a way through the firewall then it did to do it once I read about removing the side panel.

'13 JKU Rubicon - 3" Teraflex Lift w/ 8 Flexarms, LoD Rock Sliders, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5x17

'12 JK Artic - 2" RE Lift, Poison Spyder Knockers, Surprise Straps Grab Handles
post #13 of 14 Old 05-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Rock God

Hope everything is working right but just a heads up with that radio. I had one, worked fine for almost a year then I started having problems. I could receive ok but no one could typically hear or understand me. I checked and tested everything and finally broke down and bought another Cobra 19 DX to see if that was the problem. It didn't solve it and I really started going nuts trying to figure out my problem. Finally took it to a reputable cb guy and found out it was the radio, both the new and the old one was bad. He said those Cobra 19 are probably the worst cb made and many of them are bad straight out of the box. (like mine) The guy spent 30-40 minutes helping me, loaned me a known working Cobra 29 to hook up and drive down the road to test the rest of my components, then didn't even charge me for his help!

He recommended the Uniden 510 or 520 for a quality compact cb. I know he wasn't just trying to sell me a new CB because he didn't stock them as he caters primarily to higher end CBs to truckers and even told me where to look online for them. I got the 520 for about $15 more than the junk Cobra.

I know there are a lot of 19's out there and just like mine worked fine for a while but keep it in mind if you start having troubles.

It worked great after swapping it out. So I returned the Cobra and got my money back. The Uniden works great, gets out further and is much clearer. Not terribly fond of the little bitty mic it comes with but it works just fine.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Rock God

Had mine tuned up to 1.5:1. But something happened an now it appears my cable is shorted, or the antenna fried. Meter almost begs. Up around 8:1. Not good.
I could hardly understand anyone even with all the noise. And the unit has noise limiting.
Trouble shooting time this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode