JK Pillar Switch POD - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-09-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Talking JK Pillar Switch POD

So i have been seeking out Switch PODs for the A pillar on our JK.

We've had lights on the rig for almost 6 months without them being hooked up because i just could not decide on a switch location and solution.

Well this weekend I ( the wife) put the hammer down and came up with a solution.

I like a good challenge to do something I have not seen on anywhere else...so last night I was staring at an aftermarket rocker switch panel from DAYSTAR I bought some many months ago and while it would have been an easy install and basically an snap in application I just did not care for the location or the look of the switch down low in front of the 4WD and and transmission shifter....so while we've had lights on the JK for about 6 months just waiting for the switch pod i figured it was either going to go to the yard sale or it would be "modified" to suit a new location.

I have seen a few pending designs from the SEMA show which a few companies promise a pillar mount switch pod however I do not expect to see these for months or even another year if at all. So I figured i would investigate for myself what was actually going on on the pillars. After removing the plastic pillar panel I thought that I might be able to make a mod for the pillar with the daystar switch pod. There was an preformed indention in the windshield frame right where a wiring harness could be made to sit and fit into local switch panel.

So the pics below are the results...I LOVE IT even better i have not seen anyone else with anything like it. This is the DAYSTAR switch pod panel, four DAYSTAR rocker switches, and the OEM pillar molding.

The last pic is my helper for the day..he made a hammock out of bungee cords and handed me a tool every once in a while...or flipped the switch to see if the lights worked.

We even wired in a spare switch out to the engine housing for something else in the future. This is the one that is unlit in the glowing switch pic.

Last edited by Fasttrack; 07-12-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Granite Guru

Nice work
post #3 of 14 Old 01-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymat04 View Post
Nice work
I agree awesome hammok.

Ron

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world.
But the Marines don't have that problem." ..... Ronald Reagan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-09-2011, 06:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Looks good! Nice hammock too!
post #5 of 14 Old 01-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Rock God

Was thinkin the same thing but trying to mount it in between the sunvisors glad to see it worked looks good now I feel good about puting it where I want it and need it good job

VE7 ESH
post #6 of 14 Old 01-09-2011, 07:07 PM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks good! A bit confused about the hammock though...

01111001011011110111010100100000011011000110111101 11001101110100001000000111010001101000011001010010 000001100111011000010110110101100101

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl View Post
James just came a little early......
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
...May 2011 bless everyone with pervert wheeling days...
post #7 of 14 Old 01-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdog View Post
Was thinkin the same thing but trying to mount it in between the sunvisors glad to see it worked looks good now I feel good about puting it where I want it and need it good job
There's a write up here (or on JKF) about doing that.

To the OP. You don't think the red lights right around eye level will bother you ? Otherwise looks great.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #8 of 14 Old 01-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Rock God

Thats where sPOD mounts their switchboard-rioght between the visors !!

Quote:
JIMBO

Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #9 of 14 Old 01-09-2011, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks all!

RE: the hammock - one of my boys hooked bungee cords from the front windshield to under the rollbar sound bar and up to the rear (second row) rollbar. Then he proceeded to lay down on them and stretch out between the front seats...

Looking to run the CB next weekend and instal this into the overhead cross panel in some way or at least too it as I have seen on the forum with others.

We'll see - installed an Or-Fab tire carrier yesterday - that was like going through brain surgery....especially when it comes to drilling the holes in blind for the most part. Came out OK still have a few parts that i am scratching my head on where they go. The directions left a bit to be desired.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-10-2011, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
There's a write up here (or on JKF) about doing that.

To the OP. You don't think the red lights right around eye level will bother you ? Otherwise looks great.
The good part is the switch lights remain off until you engage the equipment they power up.

The amber glow that we picked didn't seem bad at all last night. I assume they will be on for trail running and during storms in the dark if needed at lower speeds. During the day I could hardly tell they are on. Time will tell.

The other nice part is if they do bother us while in use the switch light can be disengaged by pulling the separate ground run just to the switch. The on/off function remains intact and opperational without issue. The ground wire I speak of is separate to that of the equipment ground that each individual switch operates.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Wheeler

Diggin the supervisor kicked back in the hammock!

Doug

2007 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara | 3.5" RK | Bilstein 5100 | American Outlaw Colt | 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers
post #12 of 14 Old 01-10-2011, 09:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-10-2011, 09:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice job... The red might be too bright for me... Green seems to be a little easier on the eyes.

I also noticed you have your top off....

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-11-2011, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
Nice job... The red might be too bright for me... Green seems to be a little easier on the eyes.

I also noticed you have your top off....
AHH YUP! Top is off and stored as much as possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode