p0344 code - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-09-2011, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

p0344 code

my check engine light comes on and so does the esp light. when i drive i cant let the rpms get to 3000 or it starts to bog out. so the code is a p0344 which tells me its the camshaft sensor. my question is where is this sensor on the engine. i know i can replace it i just dont know where it is located

VE7 ESH

Last edited by evdog; 01-09-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-23-2013, 06:44 PM
Rock God

I just got the P0344 code on my JK (2010) today...check engine light and the traction control/ESP symbol came on. I did notice a ticking or electrical arcing sound from under the hood, shut the motor off then restarted it. The ticking went away but still had the check engine light, the ESP light went out.
I used to have an outboard motor boat with an Evinrude and if the wires were wet or damp, they would arc sparks to the nearest metal surface. When this happened today with the Jeep, the air was saturated with moisture, very damp and misty rain but everything under the hood seemed dry. I am thinking about resetting the codes with the scanner and seeing if it comes back. I wonder if this type of issue would be covered under the post 3 year/36k mile warranty...just on the power train warranty since February 3rd (figures...right?!?!).

Anyone else with a similar experience with this code?

I searched JKO and this was the only thread...

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 02-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Rock God

Searched again...found this thread: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...ighlight=P0344

entry in the thread...

NUMBER: 08-001-08 REV. A
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: February 23, 2008

SUBJECT:
Long Engine Crank Time And/Or MIL Illumination Due To DTC P0340 / P0344

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the reprogramming of the PCM and the possible replacement of the engine camshaft sensor.

MODELS:
2008 (JK) Wrangler

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 3.8L engine (sales code EGT) and built prior to February 13, 2008 (MDH 0213XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience one of the following conditions:
1). A Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination when starting due to one of the following DTCs:
a). P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit - Bank 1 Sensor 1
b). P0344 - Camshaft Position Sensor Intermittent - Bank 1 Sensor 1
2). Long engine crank time.
3). Two engine start attempts prior to engine starting.
4). Due to the “TIP Start Feature” on automatic transmission equipped vehicles, once the ignition key / switch has been released from the “START” position, the starter may stay engaged for up to 10 seconds while the engine attempts to start.

I have no performance or starting issues, engine runs relatively smooth, only the check engine light and the P0344 code.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Granite Guru

Yes, there is a flash available that is for that code... the flash is covered for 8 years 80k miles... be sure to stop by the dealer and get the PCM updated
post #5 of 7 Old 02-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon View Post
Yes, there is a flash available that is for that code... the flash is covered for 8 years 80k miles... be sure to stop by the dealer and get the PCM updated
Thanks for the info...
I do have an appointment this coming week for state inspection at the dealer, just trying to decide if I should clear the code myself or let them see it, we all know how dealers can be with those of us who diagnose stuff try to tell them what to do. They will not let it pass inspection if there are any codes or the check engine light is lit.

Tom

post #6 of 7 Old 02-24-2013, 08:28 PM
Granite Guru

Let them see it, just mention that in "online research" that you found a TSB on this...
Or tell them "your cousin" who works at an out of state dealership told you to have the PCM flashed with the update per the TSB
post #7 of 7 Old 03-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Rock God

Brought the Jeep to the dealer, they confirmed what I found but PCM flash did not fix it, they replaced the cam position sensor after testing the wiring. No more check engine light, passed inspection and so far running well. I probably could have saved a little $ If I did it myself but no time with having to travel for work, at least the dealer took some money off the price they quoted me as this is considered an electrical part and not part of the power train warranty, at least I have a 12 month 12k mile warranty on the repair. This dealership has treated me well over the past few years, never saying anything about mods and warranteeing everything for the first 3 years, even some maintenance items.

Thanks for the info and feedback

Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode