hid high beam problem - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 01-09-2011, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Mechanic

hid high beam problem

ive read through numerous threads regarding hid installs and cant really find my answer to this.

i installed a ddm tuning hid kit in my 2011 jk with the error eliminators and my high beams have that flicker/shake to them. however - my low beams work fine - even without the error eliminators they worked awesome. why would only the high beams flicker????

Jon R.
Owner, Bullpen Garage
18 E Ventura St
Tucson, AZ 85705
520-396-3001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Sounds like a Ballast issue more than anything. Can You see if BOTH lights pulse at the same time? If they do then it may be something else like grounding or even weak battery. I remember going through something similar on a Ram before.

Then again I don't have HID's on the Jeep, I have Ciebie.

'10 Surf 2Door Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-Vid Flexin' Muscle

6.2 liter Motec Ls swapped 2011 Jku with Rock Jock 60, Dynatrac rcv Pr44, and usual other beef on 37" MTR's.
post #3 of 33 Old 01-09-2011, 10:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

You have the wrong cancellor or it is wired wrong, basically it's a capacitor that smooths the current flow of electricity and beeps the magnet constant. Hid kits move the bulb in and out for high to low beam and this is the flicker that you are most likely getting.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 01-09-2011, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmanTim View Post
Sounds like a Ballast issue more than anything. Can You see if BOTH lights pulse at the same time? If they do then it may be something else like grounding or even weak battery. I remember going through something similar on a Ram before.

Then again I don't have HID's on the Jeep, I have Ciebie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
You have the wrong cancellor or it is wired wrong, basically it's a capacitor that smooths the current flow of electricity and beeps the magnet constant. Hid kits move the bulb in and out for high to low beam and this is the flicker that you are most likely getting.
thanks for the help - but both sides do it. ddm's harness includes a relay plus i added the error eliminators that were supposed to be for the jeep. their harness is idiot proof. the one thing i didnt try was grounding the harness back to the battery. wonder if that would have made a difference. instead there are two grounds that are near each headlight. i did notice that the drivers side flickered more than the passenger, but its also at the farthest point on the wiring harness. kinda stumped by this one. and you can hear the the bulbs move into position when the high beams are turned on, and they dont seem to move from that position - more like the light dimming and returning back to normal (but not spiking) very rapidly.

Jon R.
Owner, Bullpen Garage
18 E Ventura St
Tucson, AZ 85705
520-396-3001
post #5 of 33 Old 01-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Granite Guru

I think you are describing a vibration, not a power issue. I have the same kit. only my passenger side high beam does it. Look at the part of the bulb where the glass goes in to the metal ring. If you look, when you turn the high beams on, the bulb will retract into the metal ring. The bulb does not fit tight when they retract. therefore, causing a vibration. To put it bluntly, you get what you pay for and DDM is cheap chinese shit. (Not dogging yours, again, I have the same kit) and I must say for the price, I still think they are a good buy. However, take a look at what I described and see if it is what you are talking about. If so, i think the only cure is to put in a new bulb which may do it as well, or live with it. You could try e-mailing DDM and waiting 4 days for them to tell you they wont exchange it, but it may be worth a shot.

2009 SUNBURST ORANGE JK 4 DOOR SOFT TOP. 4" PRO COMP LIFT W/ 35" X 12.50" PROCOMP EXTREME ALL TERRAINS ON 18" ULTRA ROGUE WHEELS. FABTECH PRE-RUNNER FRONT BUMPER. HID LIGHT KIT AND STILL BUILDING...........

RED DRAGONS!!!

shout out to Ellis Mate

p.s....I took a sh*t in your Moms fish tank

Last edited by MOTO X JK; 01-09-2011 at 09:24 PM.
post #6 of 33 Old 01-09-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTO X JK View Post
I think you are describing a vibration, not a power issue. I have the same kit. only my passenger side high beam does it. Look at the part of the bulb where the glass goes in to the metal ring. If you look, when you turn the high beams on, the bulb will retract into the metal ring. The bulb does not fit tight when they retract. therefore, causing a vibration. To put it bluntly, you get what you pay for and DDM is cheap chinese shit. (Not dogging yours, again, I have the same kit) and I must say for the price, I still think they are a good buy. However, take a look at what I described and see if it is what you are talking about. If so, i think the only cure is to put in a new bulb which may do it as well, or live with it. You could try e-mailing DDM and waiting 4 days for them to tell you they wont exchange it, but it may be worth a shot.
I had this exact kit installed in my 2008 f250 and didn't have the high beam shake. The housing just sucked so I took the kit out and put it in the jeep.

Jon R.
Owner, Bullpen Garage
18 E Ventura St
Tucson, AZ 85705
520-396-3001
post #7 of 33 Old 01-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Wheeler

Try calling DDM Tuning. I heard they're pretty helpful with installation questions.

Black 2009 Rubicon 2-Dr Auto | TF 2.5" coil lift | TF front lower CA's | JKS trackbars | 35" GY MT/R/K's | 17x9 M/T SS Classic II's | EVO Axle Sleeves and C Gussets | ARB diff covers | Skid Row evap can skid | Shrockworks bumpers and rock rails | Synergy Ball Joints, Tie Rod and grab handles | Warn 9.5ti | Pull-Pal | sPOD | Superchips Flashpaq | dual Optima Yellow Tops | Cobra 38WXST | 4' FireStick
post #8 of 33 Old 01-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomondo View Post
Try calling DDM Tuning. I heard they're pretty helpful with installation questions.
LOL

2009 SUNBURST ORANGE JK 4 DOOR SOFT TOP. 4" PRO COMP LIFT W/ 35" X 12.50" PROCOMP EXTREME ALL TERRAINS ON 18" ULTRA ROGUE WHEELS. FABTECH PRE-RUNNER FRONT BUMPER. HID LIGHT KIT AND STILL BUILDING...........

RED DRAGONS!!!

shout out to Ellis Mate

p.s....I took a sh*t in your Moms fish tank
post #9 of 33 Old 01-10-2011, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Mechanic

called ddm and talked to a guy named Brian. he said they are aware of the issue and that the diode/capacitor trick is the only fix right now

Jon R.
Owner, Bullpen Garage
18 E Ventura St
Tucson, AZ 85705
520-396-3001
post #10 of 33 Old 01-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008fx4 View Post
called ddm and talked to a guy named Brian. he said they are aware of the issue and that the diode/capacitor trick is the only fix right now
I have the same problem on my 2010 wrangler. What exactly is the diode/capacitor trick?

Kyle
Sent from my stone tablet and chisel.
post #11 of 33 Old 01-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackr6 View Post
I have the same problem on my 2010 wrangler. What exactly is the diode/capacitor trick?
Yes, please do tell. I have my HID kit from DDM in the porch, waiting for it to get warm enough to wire up. For some odd reason, wiring sucks when it's -20 outside...

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #12 of 33 Old 01-11-2011, 12:21 AM
VKS Fab

You need a relay kit. Its the only way to completely solve your problem. I dealt with the same issue with my HIDs. Venom had an awesome write-up on how to build your own, its what I did and I have 0 problems.

Handmade One At A Time

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #13 of 33 Old 01-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Vick View Post
You need a relay kit. Its the only way to completely solve your problem. I dealt with the same issue with my HIDs. Venom had an awesome write-up on how to build your own, its what I did and I have 0 problems.
DDM provided one. Should that not do the trick?

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #14 of 33 Old 01-11-2011, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Mechanic

per [email protected]

Hello Jon,

Here is the info for a likely solution for the flickering you are experiencing for the '11 Wrangler. If you have time to let us know if this option works or not, that would be great.

Thank you,

Brian

Jeep Wrangler Flickering Solution

These jeeps have a pulsing system from the ECU to determine if a bulb is out; it can't be seen with a multimeter. It just causes the relay to chatter when vehicle is running with brights on...to stop this, 2 parts are needed from radioshack. 220uF electrolytic capacitor (272-1029) and a 50v-1a silicon diode (276-1101), The diode gets installed on the blue wire to prevent spikes going back to the ECU. The capacitor gets wired in between the blue and orange wire. The capacitor keeps the relay engaged during the pulsing through the blue wire when brights are on and vehicle is running. I'd imagine this is good for all 2007-2010 Jeep Wrangers, as wells as other numerous dodge, chrysler, and jeep products. For some vehicles that process might have to be done once for the dims and once for the brights...In my case it was just the brights that cause relay chatter.
Brian

Jon R.
Owner, Bullpen Garage
18 E Ventura St
Tucson, AZ 85705
520-396-3001
post #15 of 33 Old 01-12-2011, 07:12 AM
Granite Guru

You put a cheap dangerous illegal Chinese-sourced bootleg HID kit on your Jeep and wonder why it doesn't work?
Epic.

Safety fast,

Get to know
post #16 of 33 Old 01-12-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
You put a cheap dangerous illegal Chinese-sourced bootleg HID kit on your Jeep and wonder why it doesn't work?
Epic.
now that you got that out of your system........

even a high quality projector retrofit wont work correctly due to the complexity of the canbus system. this is something that would affect the operation of ANY aftermarket hid system, including upgraded housings, not just bulb replacements. it not something a simple wiring fix, or just add a relay solution. from what ive come across in researching this some things have changed in the wiring over the past few years that make it increasingly more difficult to change out the stock lighting to hid replacements, even to the truck-lite led replacement headlights.

Jon R.
Owner, Bullpen Garage
18 E Ventura St
Tucson, AZ 85705
520-396-3001

Last edited by 2008fx4; 01-12-2011 at 11:05 PM.
post #17 of 33 Old 01-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
now that you got that out of your system........

even a high quality projector retrofit wont work correctly due to the complexity of the canbus system, let alone the 24v setup on the newer models. this is something that would affect the operation of ANY aftermarket hid system, including upgraded housings, not just bulb replacements. it not something a simple wiring fix, or just add a relay solution. from what ive come across in researching this some things have changed in the wiring over the past few years that make it increasingly more difficult to change out the stock lighting to hid replacements, even to the truck-lite led replacement headlights.
This will work and be legal; you need to wire it to the battery via a relayed harness though.
$688 for a pair.

Safety fast,

Get to know
post #18 of 33 Old 01-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Rock God

Quote:
let alone the 24v setup on the newer models
24V set-up????? Please explain
post #19 of 33 Old 01-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamon Creel View Post
24V set-up????? Please explain
He's probably referring to the new foglights; they're 24 watts, not 24 volts though.

Safety fast,

Get to know
post #20 of 33 Old 01-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Rock God

Quote:
He's probably referring to the new foglights; they're 24 watts, not 24 volts though.
Ahhhh okay talking about those PSX24W bulbs in the 2010+ fog lights. Was scratching my head on why on earth they would want to implement 24V on a 12V electric system.
post #21 of 33 Old 01-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Rock God

Quote:
This will work and be legal; you need to wire it to the battery via a relayed harness though.
$688 for a pair.
Forgetting the type of HID housing for a moment, he wired it to the battery via a relayed harness. If you're using any part of the stock light setup (-/+ wires) to trigger the relay for the new lights, you may run into this issue. It's not because he's using "a cheap dangerous illegal Chinese-sourced bootleg HID kit". It's because of the canbus system. Any HID system put in could have this issue - including the ones you referenced.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #22 of 33 Old 01-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
It's because of the canbus system. Any HID system put in could have this issue - including the ones you referenced.
Though the Error Eliminator should take care of the PWM from the Canbus and per OP it seems to work with low beams. Difficult to determine the possible root cause without having a wiring diagram of the DDM Harness with eliminators.
Also don't know if/how the Canbus headlight PWM reacts/changes with loads differing from design intend.
post #23 of 33 Old 01-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Forgetting the type of HID housing for a moment, he wired it to the battery via a relayed harness. If you're using any part of the stock light setup (-/+ wires) to trigger the relay for the new lights, you may run into this issue. It's not because he's using "a cheap dangerous illegal Chinese-sourced bootleg HID kit". It's because of the canbus system. Any HID system put in could have this issue - including the ones you referenced.
How does his Mickey Mouse kit switch from low to high?

Safety fast,

Get to know
post #24 of 33 Old 01-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Rock God

Quote:
How does his Mickey Mouse kit switch from low to high?
The same way they would with the kit you referenced. The stock system triggers the relay, which in turn gets the bulbs to move slightly. However if the setup worked fine on a dif vehicle, then while possible, it's unlikely that the issue is due to hardware.

The issue identified by the vendor is that the canbus system has a pulses to it, constantly opening and closing the relay.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

Last edited by Riptide; 01-12-2011 at 03:20 PM.
post #25 of 33 Old 01-12-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Mechanic

Quote:
yep - sorry wrong key. ill fix the post

Jon R.
Owner, Bullpen Garage
18 E Ventura St
Tucson, AZ 85705
520-396-3001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode