What lights to get??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 Old 01-08-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

What lights to get???

I want to get a set of auxillary lights for my Jeep but which ones???

I plan to mount two lights to my after market bumper and feel that is all I really need but I just have no idea what the difference is between all the lights and where to start.

Mostly I just want added visability when doing some driving on forest roads at night or if I get stuck running a trail longer than expected. What might fit my needs that is reasonably priced and decent quality? I don't understand all the options with driving lights vs long range or HID vs Xenon vs strd lights or what Watts or would be suitable for general/occasional use. Any advice you guys can give is appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 01-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Granite Guru

Im sure you will get lots of good advice.. Lightforce products are popular here and seem to be hard to beat. I wanted something smaller so I went for the HIDx 4" lights when they ran a special on the forum. They are well built, super bright, don't draw much... and they are a vendor here as well. I will say the customer service is awesome as well. I sent one back, and the replacement showed up within a day or two.
post #3 of 58 Old 01-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Rock God

What is a resonable price to you?
$100 a light could get you some Hidx 4" hid lights
$100 for a pair could easily get you some 55watt lights

Do you want these lights to cast as far as a low beam or high beam?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 Old 01-08-2011, 04:40 PM
JKO Addict!

For what you say you want to do, I'd look for flood / fog type lights as your driving sounds like it'll be slower paced when the lights are in use.

Hella 500s can be found for fairly cheap and are decent. As mentioned Lightforce makes awesome lights, but they are a bit spendy. I prefer smaller packaged lights and have now went with LEDs. I have 4 of the Rigid Duallys (2 spots / 2 floods) that will be replacing my Hellas I had. I don't have them mounted yet, but have lit them up and they are every bit as bright as my 500s were and are half the size and use very little juice. These ones are amber, to cut through fog and snow and rain, but am thinking I'm going to add some white ones for more light. In the end, I could run 6 of these LEDs and use less power than the two 500s did. You can pick up some Duallys for about 175 a pair all day long on the web. Contact some venders here and you'll likely get a better deal. I recommend WS Offroad... (hint hint)

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #5 of 58 Old 01-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Rock God

First off, what the different lights are that are out there.

You have HIDs, LEDs and regular halogen lights. HIDs are much much brighter, but cost more (usually). LEDs are bright, somewhat pricey (close to that of HIDs). Halogen lights can range in price from $40 a pair to $400+ a pair. Depends on the brand. You can also find them in different wattages (from 55-130). The higher wattage the bigger wire and more strain you're putting on your electrical system. However if you're only getting 2 lights, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Lights will come in several different type of beam patterns.

Fog - little distance (like 20' in front of you), going ditch to ditch.

Flood - distance will depend on the light, but still not a lot. This has no beam pattern and puts out a lot of light everywhere. How much and how far depends on the light, brand, type, etc.

Driving - gets some decent distance (again how much distance depends on the brand and type), but spreads the light out as well as projects it down the road. This usually has a lot of light residue outside the beam pattern, and thus will light up a LOT around you.

Euro - like driving lights, but with a wider beam pattern.

Spot/Long Range - Less light outside the beam pattern, and the whole objective is to project light as far as possible. How far they go depends on the brand. HIDs will go the furthest.

Personally, if I was only going to get only 1 set of lights? I'd get a quality pair of driving lights. I'm a huge fan of HIDs as the light output can't be beat. However they're pricey (twice the cost of halogen lights). But if I did it, I'd get two 7" HIDx lights. Cost would be around $250. Good wide beam pattern, good distance and reasonably priced (at least to me). If cost was less of an issue, then there's a whole assortment of quality HIDs out there. It comes down to your budget. But after having used HIDs... It's unlikely I'll ever use a halogen light again.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop

Last edited by Riptide; 01-08-2011 at 05:18 PM.
post #6 of 58 Old 01-08-2011, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbsjeep View Post
What is a resonable price to you?
Do you want these lights to cast as far as a low beam or high beam?
Reasonable to me is a couple hundred dollars or so. If I need to eat ramen for a month to get parts I can push the $300 envelope

Not spot light distance, maybe midwidth with good peripheral vision.
post #7 of 58 Old 01-08-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

From what you guys have told me it sounds like I am looking for some driving lights or perhaps flood lights. Medium range with lighting extending out to the sides for peripheral vision. If reasonably priced my preference on type of light would be the LEDs for low power reasons.

I don't want to go to a dual battery set up at the end of the day, so the less draw I have on my battery the better. All the accessories I plan to install are CB, front lights, rear lights, winch, and on board air. Most likely only one of the lights, winch or on board air will by run at the same with the CB. Any issues with that and running one battery?
post #8 of 58 Old 01-08-2011, 07:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbass122 View Post
From what you guys have told me it sounds like I am looking for some driving lights or perhaps flood lights. Medium range with lighting extending out to the sides for peripheral vision. If reasonably priced my preference on type of light would be the LEDs for low power reasons.

I don't want to go to a dual battery set up at the end of the day, so the less draw I have on my battery the better. All the accessories I plan to install are CB, front lights, rear lights, winch, and on board air. Most likely only one of the lights, winch or on board air will by run at the same with the CB. Any issues with that and running one battery?
One battery will be fine with that, even with halogen lights.

post #9 of 58 Old 01-08-2011, 08:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i gotta say the hidx are amazing so are the employees.

they have the distance of a spot but they also flood the area around you and have an awesome perifiral lighting too.

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #10 of 58 Old 01-09-2011, 05:28 AM
Rock God

i just got some KC slimlight HID long range lights for my windshield. they are incredible. wayy better than the 4 lights i had on my jeep liberty renegade.
they were $177 on sale at my local 4wheel parts, the KC brackets were $30
post #11 of 58 Old 01-09-2011, 06:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

get yourself some lightforce and then get the filters that you need. Very versatile lights.
post #12 of 58 Old 01-09-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Has anyone tried the KC LZR series LED lights?

Great info guys. I did not know about the filters for the lightforce. Since I am only going w/ one set of lights that may be a great option for me. Looking at that right now on their website.
post #13 of 58 Old 01-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
I haven't used them and you will probably have a hard time finding anyone that has with an MSRP over $800.
post #14 of 58 Old 01-09-2011, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I was looking at the 4" rounds. They were listed at $250, which is in my price range. Then I realized that was for just one light!!! Not including the wire harness! I like the look of them, they are compact, and all black but just too much money. So LEDs are probably out for me. I want to keep it under $300 bucks.
post #15 of 58 Old 01-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Rock God

heh Heh I put KC slimlites on almost 2 years ago and a set of Navigators as driving lites--total for all $190 bucks--Don't need nomo light !!

JIMBO

Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #16 of 58 Old 01-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I was looking at the 4" rounds. They were listed at $250, which is in my price range. Then I realized that was for just one light!!! Not including the wire harness! I like the look of them, they are compact, and all black but just too much money. So LEDs are probably out for me. I want to keep it under $300 bucks.
LEDs aren't quite there yet re cost vs performance. You'll get a lot more light from an HID which will cost the same or less. Give LED another few years and that might change.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #17 of 58 Old 01-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Rock God

Garage

i like my light force lights. actually i love them! have them mounted to the windshield with some smitty bilt windshield brackets.

2011 MANGO TANGO sahara jku....bone stock.
r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

CALL MARCUS.. NUFF' SAID..
post #18 of 58 Old 01-11-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

OK maybe this will help me narrow this down a bit.

I am thinking:

KC SlimLite Super White Driving lights 100W bulbs ~$162
or
PIAA 520 Xtreme White ATP 85W ~$196
or
IPF 968 Series Driving Lights 55W or 100W bulbs ~$142
or
Hella 500 Series Black Magic 55W~$115
or
KC Apollo Series 6" 55W~$83

So staying within my budget for lighting which of these light sets would you all choose.
post #19 of 58 Old 01-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Rock God

Garage

HIDX

JOIN THE NRA NOW!

post #20 of 58 Old 01-11-2011, 08:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Love my KC slimliites 130 watt there crazy bright....cost isnt bad eaither and install was easy! did a small write up one em...check my posts if your interested

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #21 of 58 Old 01-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Rock God

I am waiting for my OR-Fab bumper to arrive in order to mount my IPF 968CSGs. I haven't seen much info on these on JKO, but other 4x4 sites say they are great. I love my IPF headlights so I assume these will work just as well.

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #22 of 58 Old 01-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

Great info guys. I did not know about the filters for the lightforce. Since I am only going w/ one set of lights that may be a great option for me. Looking at that right now on their website.
Lightforce is famous for the mis-information on their website, outlandish claims, and occasional lies.
Their lights are durable and some are bright. None of them have beam patterns that come close to their competition.

For what you're listing as a criteria, offroad use, you can't beat the HIDx. They put an honest 2800 lumes each on the trail, don't cost much, don't consume much power.
No dubious tricky lenses, no unsubstantiated claims. Just raw light.

They're not legal or suited as driving lights though. If you want drivers, look at Hella 4000. Nice spread, instant-on.

If you want a cheap-n-stinky LED light that puts oodles of flood-patterned light in front, look at these; $70 for a 1500 lumen LED floodlight is pretty dang good. Also not suited for street use though.

If you want a good set of cheap foglights, can't beat the Bosch Compact 100 --- usually about $100 for a pair and a great fog pattern.

Safety fast,

Get to know
post #23 of 58 Old 01-12-2011, 10:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Lightforce is famous for the mis-information on their website, outlandish claims, and occasional lies.
Their lights are durable and some are bright. None of them have beam patterns that come close to their competition.

For what you're listing as a criteria, offroad use, you can't beat the HIDx. They put an honest 2800 lumes each on the trail, don't cost much, don't consume much power.
No dubious tricky lenses, no unsubstantiated claims. Just raw light.

They're not legal or suited as driving lights though. If you want drivers, look at Hella 4000. Nice spread, instant-on.

If you want a cheap-n-stinky LED light that puts oodles of flood-patterned light in front, look at these; $70 for a 1500 lumen LED floodlight is pretty dang good. Also not suited for street use though.

If you want a good set of cheap foglights, can't beat the Bosch Compact 100 --- usually about $100 for a pair and a great fog pattern.
Do you have any experiance with those LEDs?

post #24 of 58 Old 01-13-2011, 03:12 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Do you have any experiance with those LEDs?
Just reading about them on dualsport motorcycle forums. The light from them seems to be prodigious ---- totally a flood pattern though. Not good for roof or A-pillar.

Try searching motorcycle boards; you'll find photos. Or contact the guy that builds them. I used to live a couple of blocks from him in Florida. I don't know him, but I had a bike and used to see his in the driveway.

Safety fast,

Get to know
post #25 of 58 Old 01-13-2011, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for all your input guys.

After thinking about this for a while I have decided that I am going with the IPF 968. I would have really loved to go with some of the cool LED or HID options but just can't justify that kind of money to myself. To many other things to buy

My next question is what gauge wire should I use to run these lights???

The IPF 968s come with both a 55W and 100W bulb. I assume I should run cable based on the higher Watt bulb in case I ever wanted to use them. I expect to run about 10' of cable max snaking it from the around the battery up to the front bumper. I am looking at Wiring for beginners and at 200 total watts/12V I get= 16 amps. Is that right or do you actually go by what each bulb is rated at??? The wire chart says that aat 16amps I would need 10G wire? I will be using 35 Amp relays and a 30 Amp fuse to protect the light side of the circuit if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode