Traction Control on in 4Wheel low? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-07-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Traction Control on in 4Wheel low?

Hey all- this may be a dumb question, but I now way more about suspensions and roll cages then I do wiring. After a recent dealer mandated CPU re-flash, my traction control seems to engage when I go into 4Wheel low. To be clear, the symbol with the car/squiggly lines lights up when I shift into 4 wheel low.

Now I don't remember it doing that before, and last time i when wheeling, it did seem as if the traction control and ESP were on (and fighting me) while I was wheeling.

Can anyone confirm that this should NOT light up in 4 wheel drive/4 wheel low; and should I take it back to the dealer that did it, or not trust them anymore?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Granite Guru

It doesn't work in low, that's why the light is on, to warn you.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 01-07-2011, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wubicon View Post
It doesn't work in low, that's why the light is on, to warn you.
Humm- then shouldn't it be on in 4 wheel high? Cuz it aint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-07-2011, 06:08 PM
JKO Addict!

No because in high youre ESP is still on unless you manually disable it.
In high you can hold the ESP OFF button for 3-5 seconds and your dash will say ESP OFF.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #5 of 7 Old 01-07-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
No because in high youre ESP is still on unless you manually disable it.
In high you can hold the ESP OFF button for 3-5 seconds and your dash will say ESP OFF.
Ahhh I see. So everything is working as it should. Thanks for helping a wiring noob.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-07-2011, 09:02 PM
JKowners Vendor

Just to clarify, because most people equate the Electronic Stability Program with Traction Control. Traction Control is just one small part of the whole ESP system. Although the anti-skid and anti-slide functions of the ESP system are turned "off" in 4L, your Traction Control System DOES work in 4L--it's your anti-skid program that does NOT, hence the "slippery when wet" light. Your TCS system tries to function like limited slip, but uses the ABS system to apply brakes to the spinning tire, instead of friction in your diff. Yes, the light is supposed to come on in 4L.

For a fun exercise, in 4L, get your Jeep teeter-tottered in a crack, and feel the vibrations from the TCS trying to apply brakes to get power transfer. This is one of my favorite demonstrations in Jeep Schools.

Nena Barlow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #7 of 7 Old 08-24-2014, 09:15 AM

My Traction Control light comes on whenever I'm in 4wd, 4H or 4L on my 2009 Jeep Wrangler JK. Is this normal?

Thanks
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode