HELP!!!! Hella lights won't stay on - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 01-06-2011, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

HELP!!!! Hella headlights won't stay on

I purchased the Hella headlight upgrade from Rally lights. I hooked them up no problem. On my way to work next morning they cut out on me. I called Susquahanna motor sports and they sent me a new harness. Ray, the guy who builds them told me it probably was not the harness but would send me another one any way. Great customer service.

Well I got the new harness today and installed it. Before I buttoned everything back up I cranked the Jeep and turned the lights on. Well, what do you know, the damn things cut off on me again.

Does any one know what could be causing this. The harness is connected to the battery and the trigger is the passanger side head light. I know it is hooked up correctly..any ideas would be greatly appreciated.....

07 2 Dr White Rubi, 6spd

Linexed tub
EVO Rear Bumper Fascia
Poison Spyder Boby Mounted Tire Carrier
Matercraft grab handles
M.O.R.E. 1" BL
Shrockworks midwidth w/ winch hoop / Linexed
Warn 9.5TI / Spidertrax fairlead / Viking trail line
Marathon Seat covers
PC 8179's 15x10
Toyo MT 37x14.50x15
Shrockworks sliders
EVO C2 Gussets
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
Coil Overs Front/rear
12" rear stretch
River Raider stretch corners
Smittybilt XRC front enders

Last edited by 07JKRUBI; 01-06-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-06-2011, 03:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My guess is the CANBUS system doesn't like your set up and it's shutting it down. Can you add a relay to it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #3 of 39 Old 01-06-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

This is the kit with the relays....That's what has me so frustrated..I can plug my old lights in and they work fine but for some reason when I plug in the harness I can't keep power to the relays....

07 2 Dr White Rubi, 6spd

Linexed tub
EVO Rear Bumper Fascia
Matercraft grab handles
M.O.R.E. 1" BL
Marathon Seat covers
PC 8179's 15x10
Toyo MT 37x14.50x15
Shrockworks sliders
EVO C2 Gussets
Coil Overs Front/rear
12" rear stretch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 01-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Granite Guru

I would use a volt meter to double check you are getting power to the relays from the battery then check to see if you are getting power to your relays from your stock light plugs back to the relays. See what the point of failure actually is.

-Mallow
post #5 of 39 Old 01-06-2011, 05:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

And I know you stated that its installed correctly and maybe this is a dumb question that you've already checked, but could it be an improper ground?

I recently installed a set of KC HiLites and struggled to get a good ground. Even once I had it set up at one point, it would cut out occasionally until I found a better bolt to ground it to. And is the switch grounded correctly also? Just figured it might be worth checking. If its not that it may still be the whole canbus thing that I know nothing about.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #6 of 39 Old 01-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
And I know you stated that its installed correctly and maybe this is a dumb question that you've already checked, but could it be an improper ground?

I recently installed a set of KC HiLites and struggled to get a good ground. Even once I had it set up at one point, it would cut out occasionally until I found a better bolt to ground it to. And is the switch grounded correctly also? Just figured it might be worth checking. If its not that it may still be the whole canbus thing that I know nothing about.
The kits ground wire connects to the negative terminal of the battery as long as he followed the directions.
post #7 of 39 Old 01-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Slow and Low

Trigger your relay with the marker light 12v+ lead and see what happens. The marker light lead is not a pulsed circuit like the headlight.
I had to trigger my HID's off the markers because they would flicker and shut off when using the pulsed circuit.
Might work for your application also.
post #8 of 39 Old 01-06-2011, 05:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I would say it's the pulse the canbus system puts out that is shutting off your relay.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #9 of 39 Old 01-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Granite Guru

The Rallylight harness has the resistors in line that should eliminate the pulsing and fools the canbus into thinking everything is fine. Mine was definitely plug and play in my 2010 Rubicon.
post #10 of 39 Old 01-06-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I do have it grounded to the battery so I don't think that is the problem. My question is, what could be causing the power from the head light switch to cut power to the relays. It's as if the canbus sees the upgraded light bulbs.

I thought that maybe the harness had faulty resistors but when the second harness offered the same results it kind of rules that out. There has to be something telling the canbus to kill the power to the harness, but what.

If I plugged my old bulbs in and they wouldn't work then I would know I had an electrical issue with the Jeeps wiring, but like I said, they work fine. I can only keep the Rallylight harness operating for about 2 minutes before it cuts out, doesn't make any sence...

07 2 Dr White Rubi, 6spd

Linexed tub
EVO Rear Bumper Fascia
Matercraft grab handles
M.O.R.E. 1" BL
Marathon Seat covers
PC 8179's 15x10
Toyo MT 37x14.50x15
Shrockworks sliders
EVO C2 Gussets
Coil Overs Front/rear
12" rear stretch
post #11 of 39 Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Granite Guru

Could it be due to a power drop? I know they can pull alot more watts than the current light bulbs. Maybe the jeep is shutting off lights/accessories due to the voltage of the battery getting to low? I am not sure if the jeep has this feature or not but some vehicles do.
post #12 of 39 Old 01-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Slow and Low

Like I said... just try using the marker light as a trigger for the relays and see if it works. Simple way to determine if the pulsed CANBUS circuit is fawking up your show.
post #13 of 39 Old 01-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07JKRUBI View Post
I can only keep the Rallylight harness operating for about 2 minutes before it cuts out, doesn't make any sence...
I would put an ammeter on the trigger signal and see how much current you're drawing... for some reason the CanBus thinks the current is too high and is turning off the circuit.

Might also try routing the trigger wire to the driver's side and see if that works any better...
post #14 of 39 Old 01-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Granite Guru

I don't have anything to offer in regards to your problem, but I have that exact setup on my 2007 and it works great. I don't think there is a problem with the CanBus system and the Rallylights setup. Mine was plug and play.

Sorry I can't be of more help, and good luck.

2007 JK Rubi Unlimited - 5" Teraflex, 37" Iroks
2005 LJ - HP60, 14 Bolt, 39.5, some other stuff
1978 J10 SOA and 35's

post #15 of 39 Old 01-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Granite Guru

I have some experience with control circuits and supervisory circuits. So I think that the canbuss is the problem. You will have to find a way to trick it ( I thought that someone sells a device to do this). You mentioned that you are only using one wire out of the headlight circuit. Some supervisory circuits must see a return. We alread know that the control circuit is looking at the load. Most people discover this when they increase the load. Maybe to small of a load will cause a fault. Also an unballanced load could cause a fault. If you could read the fault. You would then have a better chance ofresolving the issue.

"The Green Monster"
2007 2 Door X Jeep Green with Freedom Top
16" Painted Aluminum Mopar Wheels
Grab Bar Mod on front bumper
130w KC Daylighter Driving Beams on grab bar
130w KC Daylighter Long Range Beams
on
Smittybuilt Windshield Brackets
Rock Light Mod
Reverse Light Mod
Mood Light Mod
post #16 of 39 Old 01-07-2011, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

OK, I have on the phone with Ray on and off all day, we have tried several things and nothing is working.

I checked all my grounds and they all check out. I took voltage readings with my stock lights and with my harness and all readings are 11.2v withe factory lights and 13.6v with the harness side. After the lights have been on a while the voltage drops to 2.1 and pretty much stays there. For the stock lights no problem, but for the harness this is the voltage that causes it to go out.

The relays engage at 8.5v and disengage at a voltage less than 2. I know 2.1 is close but it is still greater than 2. At this point, after having the Jeep apart the last 2 days, I am left with putting my crappy stockers back in

07 2 Dr White Rubi, 6spd

Linexed tub
EVO Rear Bumper Fascia
Matercraft grab handles
M.O.R.E. 1" BL
Marathon Seat covers
PC 8179's 15x10
Toyo MT 37x14.50x15
Shrockworks sliders
EVO C2 Gussets
Coil Overs Front/rear
12" rear stretch

Last edited by 07JKRUBI; 01-07-2011 at 12:34 PM.
post #17 of 39 Old 01-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
OK, I have on the phone with Ray on and off all day, we have tried several things and nothing is working.

I checked all my grounds and they all check out. I took voltage readings with my stock lights and with my harness and all readings are 11.2v withe factory lights and 13.6v with the harness side. After the lights have been on a while the voltage drops to 2.1 and pretty much stays there. For the stock lights no problem, but for the harness this is the voltage that causes it to go out.

The relays engage at 8.5v and disengage at a voltage less than 2. I know 2.1 is close but it is still greater than 2. At this point, after having the Jeep apart the last 2 days, I am left with putting my crappy stockers back in
So...
why not just trigger the relays with the marker light circuit?
post #18 of 39 Old 01-07-2011, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I might have to, but as a last resort. I just hate that I spent all this money on a plug and play harness that no one else has problems with and I can't get it work with my Jeep. I am just trying to figure out what is different in my Jeep then everyone elses.

07 2 Dr White Rubi, 6spd

Linexed tub
EVO Rear Bumper Fascia
Matercraft grab handles
M.O.R.E. 1" BL
Marathon Seat covers
PC 8179's 15x10
Toyo MT 37x14.50x15
Shrockworks sliders
EVO C2 Gussets
Coil Overs Front/rear
12" rear stretch
post #19 of 39 Old 01-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
I might have to, but as a last resort. I just hate that I spent all this money on a plug and play harness that no one else has problems with and I can't get it work with my Jeep. I am just trying to figure out what is different in my Jeep then everyone elses.
If it makes you feel any better, my Jeep randomly does a lot of stupid shit. For example, my switched dimmer wire for my stereo has turned itself into a constant 12v after 3 years of having the same stereo installed.
My lights have refused to turn on in the past, and sometimes I get a delay before they turn on.
And the best one of all... my Jeep has recently decided to not run anymore.
post #20 of 39 Old 01-12-2011, 07:28 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

I sent a link to this thread to DS; maybe he can figure it out.

I'm thinking different relays.
Did you try the cheap bulbs?

Safety fast,

Get to know
post #21 of 39 Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I hope he can come up with something. I hate not being able to get them to work. No, I have not tried the cheap bulbs yet, the weather here the last few days has not been too good. I may try and get out there today and try the cheap bulbs and report back....

07 2 Dr White Rubi, 6spd

Linexed tub
EVO Rear Bumper Fascia
Matercraft grab handles
M.O.R.E. 1" BL
Marathon Seat covers
PC 8179's 15x10
Toyo MT 37x14.50x15
Shrockworks sliders
EVO C2 Gussets
Coil Overs Front/rear
12" rear stretch
post #22 of 39 Old 01-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

The "Power Logic Controler" in the jeep doesn't use relays on some things. It uses an electronic switch ( It doesn't have real contacts that open and close ). These switches leak by some voltage sometime. But the leek doesn't realy matter as long as it doesn't leak enough to make the circuit work. Bottom line - on a 12 volt system, 2.1 volts might as well be "0".

"The Green Monster"
2007 2 Door X Jeep Green with Freedom Top
16" Painted Aluminum Mopar Wheels
Grab Bar Mod on front bumper
130w KC Daylighter Driving Beams on grab bar
130w KC Daylighter Long Range Beams
on
Smittybuilt Windshield Brackets
Rock Light Mod
Reverse Light Mod
Mood Light Mod

Last edited by JK-Ford; 01-12-2011 at 11:43 AM.
post #23 of 39 Old 01-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
I hope he can come up with something. I hate not being able to get them to work. No, I have not tried the cheap bulbs yet, the weather here the last few days has not been too good. I may try and get out there today and try the cheap bulbs and report back....
Not sure why the bulbs would make a difference since they're on the other side of the relay...

I don't know if the left and right circuits are driven separately or not, but

1) If they're driven together, maybe the old driver's side connector is not just dangling but partially touching ground pulling more current than the CanBus wants to see.

2) If they're driven separately, have you tried triggering off the driver's side like I wrote above? There should be enough wire to route the trigger wire along the firewall and to the left headlamp.

3) Have you tried the high beams vs the low beams? I wonder if the high beams stay on correctly... which might point you to a bad relay, bad ground, partial short etc... upon which you could swap low-beam and high-beam relays and see what happens.

Last edited by J_Westy; 01-13-2011 at 04:58 PM.
post #24 of 39 Old 01-14-2011, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
Not sure why the bulbs would make a difference since they're on the other side of the relay...

I don't know if the left and right circuits are driven separately or not, but

1) If they're driven together, maybe the old driver's side connector is not just dangling but partially touching ground pulling more current than the CanBus wants to see.

2) If they're driven separately, have you tried triggering off the driver's side like I wrote above? There should be enough wire to route the trigger wire along the firewall and to the left headlamp.

3) Have you tried the high beams vs the low beams? I wonder if the high beams stay on correctly... which might point you to a bad relay, bad ground, partial short etc... upon which you could swap low-beam and high-beam relays and see what happens.
I tried lower rated bulbs and to no avail. I get the same result with low and high beam, works a couple of minutes, clicks off and on a couple of times them goes out and stays out.

I am having another harness made and am going to bypass the computer all together. I am going to use a toggle switch to control the head lights. I am going to use a 12v switched source for the toggle so the lights will automatically go off when I turn off the ignition.

07 2 Dr White Rubi, 6spd

Linexed tub
EVO Rear Bumper Fascia
Matercraft grab handles
M.O.R.E. 1" BL
Marathon Seat covers
PC 8179's 15x10
Toyo MT 37x14.50x15
Shrockworks sliders
EVO C2 Gussets
Coil Overs Front/rear
12" rear stretch
post #25 of 39 Old 01-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Granite Guru

You did try swapping the trigger to the driver's side you said and also tried with the trigger on the passenger side and an H13 in the OE socket on the driver's side?
Check and check.

Did you swap the relays to see if the problem followed the relay? A bad relay was always my guess but I can't really conceive of getting two in a row and having them both be the high beam...

It really should work ----- I mean, it works for everyone else. It's a royal bummer; sorry, dude.

Safety fast,

Get to know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode