Running PIAA 510 ATP from factory fog light switch... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 01-04-2011, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Running PIAA 510 ATP from factory fog light switch...

I searched and only found this:

https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread...g+light+switch

The replies to the the thread are not enough for me to understand as i am an electrical retard.

I was planning on hooking the lights to the factory fog light wires, but from reading the above thread, it doesnt sound like its going to be that easy. Can someone please explain to me, in detail, what i will have to do to operate my PIAA 510 lights the same way as i did the factory fog lights? I no longer have the factory fogs since i got the poison spyder bfh in the front. I plan on making a bracket that will use the same bolts as the fairlead to mount the lights. Somebody help a brother out... I have a 2008.

corey d
2008 JEEP...

Last edited by STUPIDFACE; 01-04-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Rock God

Humm, Mine are hooked up to my factory fog light wires and I have not had a problem in almost 2 years. It's not the ideal setup and at some point I plan to wire in relays using the factory wiring as the trigger but with 55watt bulbs it hasn't been an issue. I don't use them much so that may have something to do with it.

HTH
Jeremey

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 01-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Rock God

Corey,

Have you set up any relays before? The best would be to run them off a relay and then have your fog light power trigger the relay. I'm not sure how much you know about wiring, but I'll go through the whole process for you...

This is what a Relay does.

Look at this thread by virtual_mage. It is very similar to what you will be doing.

So, you will need an automotive 30amp SPST relay. Your relay will have 4 terminals on it, each numbered:

30 - 12v in
87 - 12v out
85 - coil 12v
86 - coil ground

So your positive comes in on 30 and goes out on 87, but only when the coil is activated. You ground one contact of the coil, and connect the positive wire of your fog light to the other. So, when you turn on your fog lights, it switches on the coil in the relay, and sends power out terminal 87 to your lights.

So to wire it, you would connect 30 to the positive of your battery. 87 goes to the positive wire for your lights. Ground 86, then use one of these to connect 85 to the positive from your fog lights to 85. I don't know what color the wire is off the top of my head, but will let you know once I wire mine up. Then connect to negative wire of your lights to the negative of your battery, and you're all set!

Let me know if you need more help.

Last edited by axsys; 05-09-2011 at 12:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 01-04-2011, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsys View Post
Corey,

Have you set up any relays before? The best would be to run them off a relay and then have your fog light power trigger the relay. I'm not sure how much you know about wiring, but I'll go through the whole process for you....
I dont know anything about wiring.

Quote:
Look at this thread by virtual_mage. It is very similar to what you will be doing.

So, you will need an automotive 30amp SPST relay. Your relay will have 4 terminals on it, each numbered:

30 - 12v in
87 - 12v out
85 - coil 12v
86 - coil ground.
Where do i get this, at an auto parts store im assuming....right?

Quote:
So your positive comes in on 30 and goes out on 87, but only when the coil is activated. You ground one contact of the coil, and connect the positive wire of your fog light to the other. So, when you turn on your fog lights, it switches on the coil in the relay, and sends power out terminal 87 to your lights.

So to wire it, you would connect 30 to the positive of your battery. 87 goes to the positive wire for your lights. Ground 86, then use one of these to connect 85 to the positive from your fog lights to 85. I don't know what color the wire is off the top of my head, but will let you know once I wire mine up. Then connect to negative wire of your lights to the negative of your battery, and you're all set!

Let me know if you need more help.
So would i use the factory wiring that ran to the factory fogs or will i use the wiring that came with the PIAA lights?

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #5 of 25 Old 01-04-2011, 06:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

did your lights come with a harness or any wiring? if so post a pic.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #6 of 25 Old 01-04-2011, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
did your lights come with a harness or any wiring? if so post a pic.
No, i just got them in today and have not attempted to install them yet. I read that the jeeps computer wont let some lights work when connected directly to the wires that the stock fog lights were connected to. Its possible that they may work when i try to hook them up, but im want to know what to do if they dont. My main objective is to run them with the stock fog light switch.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #7 of 25 Old 01-04-2011, 07:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

you maybe able to use the stock wiring with nothing else(my friend did this with some kc lights) i choose to use the stock switch to activate a relay to turn my lights on. you need to get a relay (prob get one at any auto parts store or best buy sells them also)
as posted before heres how you wire it (with a little better explanation)

30 - 12v in (from + on battery) id put a inline fuse here
87 - 12v out (to + on lights)
85 - coil 12v (to + from factory fog wire at bumper,its the one thats not black if i remeber right)
86 - coil ground. (ground on battery or good metal sopt on jeep somewhere)

remember to ground - on lights also

hope this helps

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #8 of 25 Old 01-04-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Heat'n and a beat'n...

So instead of hooking my PIAA lights directly to the wires where my stock fog lights were, i would hook up a relay to those wires, then from the relay to the PIAA lights? Basically?

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #9 of 25 Old 01-04-2011, 08:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

yep you got it. you could try them right to the fog light wires, i dont know how long it will work or if it will, im guessing if the jeep sees to much of a load on the circuit it turns it off, stupid computers.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #10 of 25 Old 01-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Rock God

Corey,

You should be able to find a relay at an auto parts store, but could also try RadioShack or Ace Hardware. This is what you're looking for:

Just make sure it's at least 30A. If you can't find one, I have one I can mail to you.

The relay handles all the power for the lights instead of the stock fog light wires. The stock fog light wires are kinda small and aren't meant to handle a brighter light, hence why we use the relay, so we don't overpower the stock wires and burn them up.

I whipped up a pretty awesome wiring diagram for you:

You should probably use at least 14ga wire for the lights (I am using 12 for mine, remember, the lower the number, the thicker/more power it can handle).

Last edited by axsys; 05-09-2011 at 12:53 AM.
post #11 of 25 Old 01-05-2011, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Guys, please forgive my lack of electrical knowledge, but you have to act like you are trying to explain this to a little retarded boy. Assume that i know nothing. Actually i do know something, i know that i dont no shit.

See if this statement is sort of correct:

I would run the wires that used to connect to the stock fog lights to the relay. I would run wires from the relay to the new lights. Just doing that wont get the lights to work. In order for them to work, i would have to run the battery to the relay also.

So, stock fog light wires and battery to the relay then relay to the new lights?

If everything above sounds right, i wouldnt just grab the ends where the stock fog lights were connected, i would have to trace those wires to where they split and go to the the relay from there, right?

I hope this makes sense, if not im lost.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #12 of 25 Old 01-05-2011, 08:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

you have it about right but you can just connect the new relay to where the stock fogs were hooked up , just run a wire from the orginal fog light connection (only need to use one not both of the wires) to where ever you want to have the new relay connected (by battery would be a good spot)

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #13 of 25 Old 01-05-2011, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
you have it about right but you can just connect the new relay to where the stock fogs were hooked up , just run a wire from the orginal fog light connection (only need to use one not both of the wires) to where ever you want to have the new relay connected (by battery would be a good spot)
So, if i want to put the relay near the battery, i could run the wires from the passenger side factory fog light connection and just leave the drivers side fog light connections alone?

The lights came with a bunch of wires and stuff, im working on posting some pictures of what i have. That may help.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #14 of 25 Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Here is the wiring that came with the lights. Sorry for the crappy cel pics. I could kinda unroll the harness and try to get a better pic if that would help.

Is that a relay? I know i dont want to hook the lights up like the instructions say, but im sure i can use some of the stuff that came with the lights.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #15 of 25 Old 01-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Rock God

Yep that's a relay, but I'm trying to figure out what the white box is. What you can do is hook it up like normal and then cut the wires that go to the little button and instead attach your fog light wires. I will send you better instructions on my lunch break.

Last edited by axsys; 05-09-2011 at 12:47 AM.
post #16 of 25 Old 01-05-2011, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Yep that's a relay, but I'm trying to figure out what the white box is. What you can do is hook it up like normal and then cut the wires that go to the little button and instead attach your fog light wires. I will send you better instructions on my lunch break.
There are 2 little white boxes, those are what the lights plug into.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #17 of 25 Old 01-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Rock God

I think the white harness might not be needed. If you look at the lights, the wires on them should have these ends, right? Your's will probably have a clear cover on them instead of blue:

If so, then toss the white harness aside for now.

On the black harness, there will be 4 plugs at one end like the picture I posted, those plug into your lights. There should be a long white wire that you connect to the positive end of your battery, and a shorter black wire for the negative side of your battery. They will both have little "ring" connectors on the ends.

In order to help wire up the fog light wires, can you show us a picture of what the wires look like going into the bottom of the relay? Specifically the small black and white wires that run off to the little PIAA button.

Last edited by axsys; 05-09-2011 at 12:48 AM.
post #18 of 25 Old 01-05-2011, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
On the black harness, there will be 4 plugs at one end like the picture I posted, those plug into your lights.
This is the plug at the end of the wires that go to the lights.

Quote:
There should be a long white wire that you connect to the positive end of your battery, and a shorter black wire for the negative side of your battery. They will both have little "ring" connectors on the ends.
They are not long, but there is a white and black wire, each with a ring on the end.

Quote:
In order to help wire up the fog light wires, can you show us a picture of what the wires look like going into the bottom of the relay? Specifically the small black and white wires that run off to the little PIAA button.
The three wires on my finger are the ones that go from the PIAA switch and into the relay. The black one goes to the same spot as another black wire thats not on top of my finger.

Here is how they tell you to wire the lights...

Here is a shot of a plug thats between the switch and the relay. To the left of the plug is the switch, and to the right is the wires that go to the relay.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #19 of 25 Old 01-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Rock God

OK, those pictures help quite a bit. The wiring diagram will be very helpful, I'll explain it to you. There are only 3 wires we need to hook up.

White wire with ring on the end gets connected to your positive terminal on the battery.

The black wire with ring on end connects the the negative terminal on your battery.

So, for the lights to work off your stock fog light switch, you want to unclip the plug that goes to the on/off button in your last pic. Then using the little red plastic wire adapters that came in your kit, you will need to connect a single wire (purchased separately) to the white wire that goes into the relay from your switch plug (not the white wire that is cut at the end). Then, you will need to use another wire connector to clamp onto your stock fog light wire. I am still trying to find out what color the fog light wire is as there are 2 wires at each fog light. Honestly, you could try one, and if it doesn't work, then try the other, but that's up to you. It won't hurt anything if you get the wrong on the first time.

Here is a page showing how to use those little wire connectors (I found one with pictures for ya ):

http://www.lancemindheim.com/wire1.htm

I have no idea what that site is about, but scroll down till you see the little series of how to use the blue wire tap with some pliers. You can pick some of those up at Lowes or Home Depot, as well as some wire to run from your stock fog light wire to the relay wire. The size is measured in AWG, and I would suggest finding some 18AWG on a spool that they can cut for you. 6 feet should be more than plenty.

Oh yea, don't forget to plug in the lights once you're done

Last edited by axsys; 05-09-2011 at 12:48 AM.
post #20 of 25 Old 01-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Banned

Corry,

I am ordering lights from Marcus tonight. When you do this install can you do a write up for retards?

Because i, like you, am Electricly "Challenged"
post #21 of 25 Old 01-07-2011, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Beermonkey and axsys, thanks for the help...

Jkrispy, i didnt do a write up, but all you have to do is hook it up like the instructions say. To use the factory fog light switch, unclip the PIAA switch off the PIAA harness and hook the 2 wires that go to the relay to the two wires that hooked to one of the factory fog lights. There are three wires on the relay side of of the switch clip, but one of them goes to nothing, shit can that one. I hooked everything up and had them working in less than five minutes by using 2 pieces of wire to go from the plug where the PIAA switch connects to the plug where the factory fogs were. Once i saw that it would work, i got rid of the 2 pieces of wire, cut off the factory fog light plug and PIAA switch plug, and spliced the wires (black goes to black, white goes to red and white>>>when you hook the switch wires to factory fog light wires). After i got them to work, it took me a couple of hours to run the wires clean.

corey d
2008 JEEP...

Last edited by STUPIDFACE; 01-07-2011 at 05:27 PM.
post #22 of 25 Old 01-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Rock God

Glad to see you didn't burn the Jeep down

Looks great!

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #23 of 25 Old 01-09-2011, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Glad to see you didn't burn the Jeep down

Looks great!
I look at this thread and see that i didnt give enough info from the get go. A lot of my confusion could have been avoided had i posted pics of what i had. Also, if i would have threw the wires over the engine compartment, i wouldnt have been as dumb. Had i done that, everything could have been explained as follows:

Hook up everything like the instructions say, except hook the switch wires to one of the original fog light wires.

I actually think that was told to me.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #24 of 25 Old 06-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
OK, those pictures help quite a bit. The wiring diagram will be very helpful, I'll explain it to you. There are only 3 wires we need to hook up.

White wire with ring on the end gets connected to your positive terminal on the battery.

The black wire with ring on end connects the the negative terminal on your battery.

So, for the lights to work off your stock fog light switch, you want to unclip the plug that goes to the on/off button in your last pic. Then using the little red plastic wire adapters that came in your kit, you will need to connect a single wire (purchased separately) to the white wire that goes into the relay from your switch plug (not the white wire that is cut at the end). Then, you will need to use another wire connector to clamp onto your stock fog light wire. I am still trying to find out what color the fog light wire is as there are 2 wires at each fog light. Honestly, you could try one, and if it doesn't work, then try the other, but that's up to you. It won't hurt anything if you get the wrong on the first time.

Here is a page showing how to use those little wire connectors (I found one with pictures for ya ):

http://www.lancemindheim.com/wire1.htm

I have no idea what that site is about, but scroll down till you see the little series of how to use the blue wire tap with some pliers. You can pick some of those up at Lowes or Home Depot, as well as some wire to run from your stock fog light wire to the relay wire. The size is measured in AWG, and I would suggest finding some 18AWG on a spool that they can cut for you. 6 feet should be more than plenty.

Oh yea, don't forget to plug in the lights once you're done
It's the white wire, just for future reference.

H3 Lux with Adventure Package

Gone but not forgotten:
2009 Black Rubicon Unlimited
2007 Silver Rubicon Unlimited
post #25 of 25 Old 07-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Rock God

OK, I must be brain dead. Everything looks soooo easy in the diagram, but when I went to do it tonight, I'm still lost. The diagram is on the SIDE of the relay, and it doesn't relate to the pins on the BOTTOM, no matter how I look at it, nothing on the diagram on the SIDE relates to the BOTTOM. If the diagram was on TOP, and I could just flip it to the BOTTOM, maybe, but there's just no way to match the connectors up to the diagram, so I don't know what the 30 connector is from the 87????

I'm ready to just bring it somewhere... It should be sooo friggin' simple!

Todd
2007 Unlimited
40 Toyo Open Countrys on Workz Rims
OrFab Rear Bumper, Smittybilt Front
Cree Light Bar
7.5 Long Arm Lift
Synergy Front Suspension
Artec Front JK Armor
5:13's
Tom Woods Drive Shafts
Hi-Lift & Much More
&
2000 TJ
6" lift
37 TOYO MT's on Worx Rims
$hitty Built bumpers
Air Raid
Bushwhacker Flairs & Trail Armour
Corbeau Baja RS seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode