Got a CB Radio. What Else Do I Need To Make It Happen? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-03-2011, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Got a CB Radio. What Else Do I Need To Make It Happen?

I was fortunate enough to get a Cobra 75WXST CB radio as a gift for Christmas. I know I need to get an antenna, antenna bracket, and cable.

What else is needed?

Where's the easiest place to get +12V without having to go through the firewall?

Do I need to get any tools to terminate the cable to the appropriate connectors, or can I get them pre-terminated?

Anything else?

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-03-2011, 07:40 PM
JKO Addict!

I use the passenger side 12v plug in the dash to power my radio. It's on all the time (remember to turn the radio off), and a CB pulls pretty low current.

The coax (cable) has ends already on it, buy 18'. It is the best length to use in an automotive setting (according to people that know a lot more than I do about CBs and wavelengths). Do not coil any excess. kinda loop it around loosely under a seat/carpet/etc.

You'll need an antenna, probably fiberglass, and a mount.

It would be wise to buy or borrow a SWR meter to set/check the SWR. Too high can easily hurt a radio and have poor performance.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Do not coil any excess. kinda loop it around loosely under a seat/carpet/etc.
Could you please expand on this?

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-04-2011, 05:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Could you please expand on this?
It's said that rolling excess coax will not allow it to perform correctly. I saw this on several "CB" sites before installing mine. It was either hard on it, or you would get interference, I don't remember which.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-04-2011, 05:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Depending on where you intend to mount the CB, going through the firewall really isn't that difficult and you can wire directly to the battery. When I get on the laptop later I'll link you to my switch install to show where a good spot to pass through the firewall without and drilling is. The other big thing is a good ground for both the radio and the antenna.

EDIT WITH LINK:https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...light=arc+8000

/

Last edited by Loki646; 01-04-2011 at 04:46 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-04-2011, 04:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I updated my write-up with an extensive 3 post read from Signalengineers.com. Hopefully it will give you a better understanding. It is a pretty lengthy read, but very informative.

/

post #7 of 8 Old 01-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Rock God

With the coax cable, just kinda make some lazy "S" shapes under the carpet. I have an unlimited, and ran the cable from the dash to the tailgate on the passenger side. I made lazy "S" shapes under the carpet under the back seat, and have had no issues with my radio. Get a decent mount (I've got the Teraflex, no need to run a ground wire), and decent cable, and you should be good to go.

08 Unlimited Steel Blue
All Sorts of Crap on it

In the space of about 30 seconds, this man was in a car accident, an explosion, lit aflame and then kicked in the balls with more force than a human foot can technically take.

Future terrorists take note: this is your retirement package.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-04-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks guys!

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode