Using high beam to triger light - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-02-2011, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Using high beam to triger light

Iím about to install some new light , I just bough a set of lightforce 170 striker and a delta hood light bar .I would like to trigger them with my high beam and I was wondering if the load would be to hard to trigger 2 relay ? This is how I planned to wired them up.

Winter is coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-02-2011, 07:35 AM
Rock God

Looks good to me. I just used one of those blue wire taps on my headlight harness. Had it on for over a year and no problems.

Last edited by axsys; 05-09-2011 at 12:30 AM.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Won't be any problem to do that. However when the highs are on the fogs and low beams turn off, you will have a lot of "thrown" light and not much up close

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-02-2011, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Wont be a trouble,i did not have the fog when i bouth the jeep and they are wired separatly from a simple on and off switch.

Winter is coming.

Last edited by virtual_mage; 01-02-2011 at 01:29 PM.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Granite Guru

i think that's a cool idea actually. good luck

Dmitriy
2007 Steel Blue X
post #6 of 16 Old 01-02-2011, 03:15 PM
JKO Addict!

I have done this but prefer to put them on their own switch now. I find that my spots are bright enough that my lights on high beam or low beam don't make much difference. Therefore, I put my headlights on low and run the spots so I have more light up close along with the long throw. Having the seperate switch is also nice for other times when you don't have all your lights on but need a quick burst of light out front.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #7 of 16 Old 01-02-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
I have done this but prefer to put them on their own switch now. I find that my spots are bright enough that my lights on high beam or low beam don't make much difference. Therefore, I put my headlights on low and run the spots so I have more light up close along with the long throw. Having the seperate switch is also nice for other times when you don't have all your lights on but need a quick burst of light out front.
Good thinking,i actualy will try this to be able to use it both way depending on the situation .A simple SPDT switch should do the trick and give you the option to trigger from the High Beam or the battery.

Winter is coming.

Last edited by virtual_mage; 01-02-2011 at 05:57 PM.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-03-2011, 08:19 PM

When I wire up my KC windshield lights I am hoping to do something similar, have a three position rocker switch ON(w/highbeams), OFF, ON(power).

Not sure if its going to work how I have it in my head, but I will find out.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Granite Guru

Could be wrong about this, but I thought I would throw this out there.
First aren't the headlights in the JK pulsed, not steady dc. In most after market headlight harnesses there is a capacitor and diode to smooth out the pulsed dc.

2nd thing, not an expert here, but don't you want a diode to get rid of the voltage spike that occurs when the contacts are opened? Should be plenty of info on the net about this.

'08 Rubi Unlimited - a few mods. (sold)
post #10 of 16 Old 01-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Good thinking,i actualy will try this to be able to use it both way depending on the situation .A simple SPDT switch should do the trick and give you the option to trigger from the High Beam or the battery.
Assuming there's a way to get my fogs working with my highbeams (I assume there is, just haven't looked into it lately), then this is how I'm doing my next setup. Highbeams for on the highway (it's a bitch to hit a kill switch (mine's where the power window switchs are) when you have a coffee and are taking a sip and someone comes around a corner). And straigh off the battery for when I want complete control.

Realistically the HB will be used the most... but why limit yourself? It's not a lot of extra work.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #11 of 16 Old 01-04-2011, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoyeti View Post
Could be wrong about this, but I thought I would throw this out there.
First aren't the headlights in the JK pulsed, not steady dc. In most after market headlight harnesses there is a capacitor and diode to smooth out the pulsed dc.

2nd thing, not an expert here, but don't you want a diode to get rid of the voltage spike that occurs when the contacts are opened? Should be plenty of info on the net about this.

I would not be worry to much about the pulsed voltage since the high beam is just use to trigger the relay and the power is draw directly from the battery no matter what, I did found that’s how the dealer plug them as well .

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/75754.pdf

Thanks for the voltage peak i did update the shematic what you think?

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/75754.pdf[/url]

Quote:
Assuming there's a way to get my fogs working with my highbeams (I assume there is, just haven't looked into it lately), then this is how I'm doing my next setup. Highbeams for on the highway (it's a bitch to hit a kill switch (mine's where the power window switchs are) when you have a coffee and are taking a sip and someone comes around a corner). And straigh off the battery for when I want complete control.

Realistically the HB will be used the most... but why limit yourself? It's not a lot of extra work

Definitely you can get a Single pole, centre off switch and that’s a great idea actually.

I’m sure there is a way; you have the stock fog light system or an aftermarket one?

Winter is coming.

Last edited by virtual_mage; 01-04-2011 at 11:04 AM.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-04-2011, 08:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Very interesting thread. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #13 of 16 Old 01-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Granite Guru

I used the high beam wire to trigger a piaa relay and it didn't seem to like it, it worked for a little but made a loud buzzing sound (which I believe is the relay being flipped on and off a bazillion times a second lol). I figured worst case it would kill the relay or fuse and I'd replace. Then my driverside piaa 580 bulb died, haven't used it since, I guess maybe it was outputing the pulsed power and the bulb didn't like it?

Either way I say give it a shot, if it causes problems then add a diode/cap and you should be good.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNEBTD View Post
I used the high beam wire to trigger a piaa relay and it didn't seem to like it, it worked for a little but made a loud buzzing sound (which I believe is the relay being flipped on and off a bazillion times a second lol). I figured worst case it would kill the relay or fuse and I'd replace. Then my driverside piaa 580 bulb died, haven't used it since, I guess maybe it was outputing the pulsed power and the bulb didn't like it?

Either way I say give it a shot, if it causes problems then add a diode/cap and you should be good.
I have read in other places this buzzing is caused by the pulsed dc (and not a good thing for the relay or the lights that the relay is controlling. Need a cap across the input of the relay (observing the correct polarization in an electrolytic) to smooth out the dc. Also "should" use a diode across the relay to shunt or short the voltage spike when the relay opens, these high voltage spikes can cause some nasty things to happen to the JK electronics.

Check out www.danielsternlighting.com for more specifics.

'08 Rubi Unlimited - a few mods. (sold)
post #15 of 16 Old 01-05-2011, 04:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoyeti View Post
Need a cap across the input of the relay (observing the correct polarization in an electrolytic) to smooth out the dc.

Also "should" use a diode across the relay to shunt or short the voltage spike when the relay opens, these high voltage spikes can cause some nasty things to happen to the JK electronics.
X2. And this is why I decided to purchase the sPOD; besides the ultimate control unit for my accessories, it is an insurance policy against voltage spikes, or wonky amperage draws, that could affect the JK's CANBUS system.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #16 of 16 Old 01-05-2011, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

While I totally agree spod and 12volt guy make incredible product I rather do this project myself. I appreciate all your help and will put the capacitor right away there is no reason to not do so. I’m getting some help regarding witch size capacitor I should use .I did my home work and here my definite drawing of the system,i realise the pinout of the relay where inversed to and fixed it.

Winter is coming.

Last edited by virtual_mage; 01-05-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode