Wiring Rubicon Locker in X model - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-16-2010, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Wiring Rubicon Locker in X model

Hey everyone.

I'm getting ready to install my Pro Rock 44 next week, and it was built with the stock Rubicon locker. I'm wanting to wire it into my own switch and light. Currently there are two plugs coming out of the diff. From what I understand, one is for the locker, and the second is just an indicator for the lights.

Can anyone comfirm this? Or if you have doen this job before, can I get some insight? Thanks in advance.

Dave

MilitaryJeepers.com

08 JKU-4" Teraflex, Prorock 44, 5.13's, 35"BFG's, Rockhard 4x4 full skids/Rr Bumper, JKS Goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Wheeler

The one on top that is held in with a bolt is for the locker power. Atleast that is the case on the stock D44, I don't know about a Pro Rock 44. Probably the same though. I am in the process of putting a Rubi D44 in my X and asked a similiar question a couple weeks ago and didn't get a single reply. Here is the link to my thread and a couple others that helped me.

https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41710

https://jkowners.com/tech/axle/index.php

https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25168

I don't know how knowlegeable you are on automotive wiring so I threw in the last link that has a lot of basics. My automotive wiring knowledge was very minimal when I started my project and it helped me a lot. After a couple weeks of researching my project, hooking up the rubi front locker turned into getting a bussman sealed fuse and relay box that needs completely wired and adding five auxilary circuits. I'm also building a custom switch panel like what 12voltguy makes. Good luck. I hope this helps.

Doug
Valparaiso, IN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Steel Blue X Unlimited
Rubi D44 up front with chromo shafts, riddler cover, and CTM u-joints
4" Frankenlift
black steel wheels
35" AT's
Rock Hard bumper and tire carrier
Nate's 4x4 frnt winch bumper
(custom chopped into a stubby)
Rubi rails
Rock Hard skids
KC 8" driving lights
KC 6" driving lights on KC windshield mounts
Tuffy console insert

Last edited by mr_natural78; 12-18-2010 at 08:59 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

awesome! Thanks

MilitaryJeepers.com

08 JKU-4" Teraflex, Prorock 44, 5.13's, 35"BFG's, Rockhard 4x4 full skids/Rr Bumper, JKS Goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by michdave View Post
Hey everyone.

I'm getting ready to install my Pro Rock 44 next week, and it was built with the stock Rubicon locker. I'm wanting to wire it into my own switch and light. Currently there are two plugs coming out of the diff. From what I understand, one is for the locker, and the second is just an indicator for the lights.

Can anyone comfirm this? Or if you have doen this job before, can I get some insight? Thanks in advance.

Dave
If you have a continuity tester or a meter with an ohm setting then this should be easy to confirm. The coil on the locker will be a completed circuit. It should show continuity or some value of resistance on a meter. The switch for the indicator light should be open untill locked. So a meter will show no continuity or zero ohms.

"The Green Monster"
2007 2 Door X Jeep Green with Freedom Top
16" Painted Aluminum Mopar Wheels
Grab Bar Mod on front bumper
130w KC Daylighter Driving Beams on grab bar
130w KC Daylighter Long Range Beams
on
Smittybuilt Windshield Brackets
Rock Light Mod
Reverse Light Mod
Mood Light Mod
post #5 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Rock God

I ended up buying the Mopar wiring harness since I was also hooking up an e-disco. It already had the plugs on it for the locker, but I still had to splice in power and ground for my custom switches. Essentially there are 4 wires for the lockers on two plugs. The first plug has 12v+ and a ground to actually engage the locker. The other is simply a switch that is activated when the locker is engaged. I have it hooked up to a relay so that when I flip my switch, the 12v+ is applied to the locker. The ground is always connected, and then one of my wires for the indicator is grounded. The other indicator wire is connected to the ground of my locker LED.

This thread helps a lot: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9429

You can cut the harness like he did, but it is a direct swap for the harness that's already in the Jeep. It's a lot more work to pull the old harness out and put the new one in, but it's a lot cleaner.

Here is the wiring harness: http://www.moparsupercenter.com/56055357af.html

Last edited by axsys; 05-09-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode