Accessory Power w/ 410 Inverter problem - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 12-13-2010, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Accessory Power w/ 410 Inverter problem

I'm trying to power about 160w of Christmas lights on the jeep. I picked up a 410w Schumacher Inverter which has the accessory outlet plug + battery clamps. I connected it through the outlet, it turned on, plugged in lights, and they powered for a few seconds and then went off. Now, the inverter does not power (at all) through the outlet. It does power up when ran to the battery.

I tried the inverter w/ outlet hookup in my other vehicle and it doesn't power either.

Do you think this problem has to do with Amps/Watts through the jeep outlet? Or could it be a inverter acc outlet plug that is the problem?

Am I better off just running power from the battery into the cab to power the inverter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-13-2010, 08:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Did you check if there is a fuse built into the end of the cig lighter plug ON the inverter side? (male). Cap may unscrew to reveal one.

I bet you overloaded it, it probably states don't run "x" amount through it, thats why the battery cables are there I bet.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-13-2010, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

You are probably right. I will check for a fuse during lunch. The printed manual doesn't show a max load, but I found 120w listed in the online manual for the inverter through acc port.

What is the max load in a 2010 JKUnl accessory port? 300?

I might just pick up a larger fuse if that is the issue. They state 120w "to accomodate for use in most vehicles" and that some vehicles may handle the max wattage of the inverter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-13-2010, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Update - I've thought about the larger fuse option and to avoid a possible electrical fire....I'll likely just hardwire to the battery and mount it under the rear seat. :-)
post #5 of 6 Old 12-13-2010, 10:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Larger fuse is a bad idea. And will also probably blow the fuse in the Jk as well. I think the stock load is 20a. You would need to convert watts to amps running at 12v to get the max.

Really should just run it to the battery as it's designed...either hard wire it or just use the clamps and run the wiring into the door seal for the temporary time the lights are on.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-14-2010, 05:03 AM
Granite Guru

The cig lighter circuit is 20 amp max
20A * 12V = 240 watts

The inverter is to big for the cig lighter circuit.
410 watts / 12V = 34.16A

"The Green Monster"
2007 2 Door X Jeep Green with Freedom Top
16" Painted Aluminum Mopar Wheels
Grab Bar Mod on front bumper
130w KC Daylighter Driving Beams on grab bar
130w KC Daylighter Long Range Beams
on
Smittybuilt Windshield Brackets
Rock Light Mod
Reverse Light Mod
Mood Light Mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode