Second thoughts about more lights. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-11-2010, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Second thoughts about more lights.

So, I really love the look of a Jeep with a lightbar full of cool lights, and a few of the latest posts from the fellas with all these lights has me itching to add more, however this past weeks incident has brought me to the realization that for me they may be useless if not downright dangerous. I don't Baja..
This past summer I splurged and bought a pair of Lightforce 170 Strikers and mounted them on the front grille guard. These suckers are bright and I do use them on the country roads when driving home at night. Damn moose and deer have a habit of walkin on the road at night. I am very caution to make sure they are turned off at any hint of on coming traffic ( I also wired the relay into the Hi-Beam wire so they cannot be turned on unless the hi-beams are on). The situation is this: I was driving down my side road with my hiibeams and Strikers on when a vehicle comes over the hill +1 mile away, the driver of said vehicle flashes me to dim my lights. "GIVE ME A BREAK" are they that bright! If that's the case a bar full of hi power lights will be way overkill and totally useless. On my old trucks I use to run 6" 12v tractor sealbeams for $9.95ea on a roofbar or rollbar and they did the trick for camping, and night driving, but were not dangerous if someone should sneak up around a corner on you..
So what do you guys suggest as a better alternative for a light set-up.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-11-2010, 04:57 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm a fan of 2-4 lights at the most. I like the throphy truck rack on the JK full of lights for some reason, but it's really useless unless you are going to do that high speed desert running.

I have a pair on mine, really no desire to run more (probably just get better ones). Too many lights can just make it look like you are trying to hard to me. If the owner digs it, more power to them. I just don't care for the look very much.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I'm a fan of 2-4 lights at the most. I like the throphy truck rack on the JK full of lights for some reason, but it's really useless unless you are going to do that high speed desert running.

I have a pair on mine, really no desire to run more (probably just get better ones). Too many lights can just make it look like you are trying to hard to me. If the owner digs it, more power to them. I just don't care for the look very much.
I guess it really depends on how you use them.

As for the OP point of the lights being dangerous... when I had some 170 LF halogens, I'd dim them around the 1km (1000 yards) mark if I can see the car a long ways off. They are that bright, especially if the oncoming vehicle is something small and low to the ground. They would be right at eye level.

With my HIDs I'll dim the lights the moment I see oncoming traffic regardless of how far away they are. Typically I'll kill the HIDs, but keep the highbeams on until the other car is much closer.

Would this prevent me from adding more lights? No not at all. Because regardless of what you add, you'll still have to dim them to oncoming traffic. IF it's just for looks, there's a JK in town that has 2 Hella HIDs on the bumper, and 4 Hellas on the roof. However those he keeps covered (they work), but at just for looks to complete the roof rack.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-14-2010, 12:07 PM
JKO Addict!

If you want more lights, do what makes you happy. Just be aware and courteous of other drivers while they are on.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Granite Guru

If your not going to use them for night runs on trails, I wouldn't run any at all.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_in View Post
If your not going to use them for night runs on trails, I wouldn't run any at all.
Spoken like someone who lives in the middle of the city, and rarely drives at night. Just because it's a jeep, doesn't mean it doesn't see pavement. And there's a lot of valid use's for lights other than to lite up the trail.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #7 of 8 Old 12-14-2010, 09:35 PM
JKO Addict!

I just have 2 pair of 55w halogens and I get constantly annoyed when driving with them at night, im flipping them off and on 10 times per mile.
From now on im just going to use the damn things offroad.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #8 of 8 Old 12-14-2010, 09:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i rarely run all my lights at the same time. but each set of lights has its own purpose. and i live out in the country and have a 20 mile drive down gravel county roads and through a state park. i rarely pass other drivers.

and any road trips i take i prefer to drive at night since there is less traffic and in the summer its alot cooler.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode