what enclosure? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results: what type of enclosure do you have?
sealed. 13 65.00%
ported. 2 10.00%
bandpass. 0 0%
bacon. 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 12-09-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Question what enclosure?

so ive added a new head unit, amp and speakers.

i have a 12" ported sub box but i think its too boomy. it sounds great with bass cds and what not, but im not feeling it when listening to country.

will a sealed enclosure do good in the open environment?

the above is most likely irrelevant.
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, abendx is my hero, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK, JKO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-09-2010, 04:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sealed sub box will be a lot tighter you won't need as big of a box either. When I have the top down in the summer I tend to loose a lot of base... with either the soft top or hard top on it pounds hard... 10" Alpine with a 500 Watt Alpine amp.

Steve

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 12-09-2010, 04:32 PM
JKO Addict!

I voted bacon,,,,Because I don't know and kinda would like to..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 12-09-2010, 04:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
Sealed sub box will be a lot tighter you won't need as big of a box either. When I have the top down in the summer I tend to loose a lot of base... with either the soft top or hard top on it pounds hard... 10" Alpine with a 500 Watt Alpine amp.

Steve
Similar setup. Works/sounds great.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-09-2010, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

ive had a pair of 10s in a sealed box in a previous vehicle and i liked it.

how would a pair of 10s play against a single 10 in a sealed box?

does the single sub work harder trying to hit all the notes?

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, abendx is my hero, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK, JKO
post #6 of 20 Old 12-09-2010, 04:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have had two 12s as well as two 10s in sealed boxes, with 500w to each. Both were impressive.

Ported boxes make sloppy base. IMO

The single, quality 10 in a sealed box works very well and hits every note as far as I am concerned. I am running a JL 10". It is impressive.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-09-2010, 05:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Go sealed.
You only need a ported box if youre listening to rap IMO as its loud and boomy.
Personally i prefer sealed as it tends to have a more tight punch then a loud boom.
I have 2 Kicker 10's sealed in my Unlimited and it does everything from a nice soft augmented bass to knock out the windows bass.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #8 of 20 Old 12-09-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

another question... i have the pdx5 which is 300x1. the jl 12 i have is 300rms. if i were to get two 10s that are wired parallel, would they each get 300 or does that mean they each get 150?

post #9 of 20 Old 12-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

i used the back side of the oem box as a base and buillt my own small box for my 10" kenwood.... it works well and i'm ok with it, but since its small, it really drops off on the low freq's. its maybe 1cuft. its a solid thumper, though. on a satisfaction scale of 1 to 10, i'm about a 8 with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #10 of 20 Old 12-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

it depends on the amp's rating... both wattage and ohms.

if the subs are 4ohms each (if single voice coil), then you can only wire up the two subs at a 2ohm load or 8 ohm load. if the amp is not 2ohm stable in mono, then 8ohm is all you have. here is what to expect.

example is only an example:

amp is rated for 100w @ 4ohms
wired for 2 ohms, amp may push 200w
wired for 8 ohms, amp my push 50-75w...

the ohms rating of the speaker(s) can essentially act as a "choke" on the amp.

if the two 10's are DVC with 4ohm coils, then you can wire each sub's VCs together to get a 2ohm load, then wire the two subs to get a 4 ohm load.
HTH.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #11 of 20 Old 12-09-2010, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

ok so the pdx5 is rated 300 at 2 and 4 ohm.

the speakers are R1L-2X10 Dual Prime 10" 300 Watt Loaded Enclosure... 4 ohm svc and internally wired in parallel to create a 2 ohm load. they are each rated at 150rms.

so they will push 300rms each or 600rms at 2 ohms and blow?

im just trying to find two 10s in a sealed box that i can mate up with the pdx5.

post #12 of 20 Old 12-10-2010, 05:48 AM
Granite Guru

I voted sealed. You will be happy with that sound in a Jeep.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Granite Guru

a lil off topic but i was very board today so i did a science experment. i have a cd that has a sweep of bass freq. with the vol. at 15 it played 110db at a peak then fell right off, idk what fq., then i filled the stock enclosure with polyfill and gained 2db and it maintained a higher db through the sweep. i had a loud system in my last ride but putting one in the jeep worrys me with the soft top to easy for somebody to see it take a blade slice the top and walk with all my ish. just an opinion. sealed in the jeep all the way.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Granite Guru

In my setup I have a JL 900/5 pushing the JL Marine 10 in their sealed box (its exposed) and I love it. RMS is only 250 so in theory I could put another in and be right at the 500 RMS the amp puts out for the sub. I like my bass to be accurate and not overwhelming, that said this sub is perfect for me, even o0n the highway top/down & doors off. It is right behind my drivers seat so if you were to move it back you may want more . . . but im not running it nearly full power yet sooo.

2009, 2 Door X, Rancho 4" Sport Lift w/ 9000xl shocks, 35" Firestone Destination MTR on Spidertrax spacers Bulldog Front Bumper w/XRC8 Winch, LoD Rear Bumper, FinishLineWest Rock Sliders, 5.13 G2's, ARB Rear diff cover, LineX'd tub, JL Clean Sweep, JL 900/5 Amp, JL C5 components in front, JL Marine MX-770's in soundbar, JL FS-110 Marine sub, Tuffy security deck, HID's in Cibie's, Piaa 520s
jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler

Last edited by DanNEBTD; 12-10-2010 at 08:31 AM.
post #15 of 20 Old 12-10-2010, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

so should i be looking for subs that run 300rms @ 4ohms or 600rms at 2ohms?

post #16 of 20 Old 12-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Wheeler

Mikeyfl

To answer your first question, go with a sealed box. It will create a tighter response, and probably more of what you are looking for.

Another point that is worth mention, is that the sub needs to be matched to the box. What I am saying is that each sub requires a certain amount of airspace for the sub to respond properly. Too much and it sounds weak, too little air and it isn't enough room for the sub to fire properly.

Also if possible I would try to fire the subs downward so that they can bounce off the jeep more and give better bass response.

All that being said, buying the Rockford set up that you linked to should work fine for you. They are matched to the box, and wired to run at 2 ohms which will make them "hit" harder. with them having 300W rms rating, you should be fine with the PDX 5 driving it.

It will push at 300 at 2 ohms and match the speakers well.

Sorry for the long rant, just wanted to give some insight so that you were more confident in the purchase of that Rockford setup that you looked at.

Feel free to PM me with questions if you would like. For the record, I work for a major Car Audio company, and if I don't know the answer, I can find it for you.
post #17 of 20 Old 12-10-2010, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

thanks.

can i mount that rockford setup facing down? i know ill have to add some feet to it, but will the subs work properly?

post #18 of 20 Old 12-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Wheeler

Subs aren't directional like other speakers, so the more surfaces you have to bounce them off of the better.

So yes, they will work fine firing downward if you put some feet on it to lift them off the floor. Put some 3/4 inch to 1 inch feet on it and you're in business.
post #19 of 20 Old 12-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Wheeler

make sure the "feet" are long enough to accept the throw of the sub
post #20 of 20 Old 12-17-2010, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

i dont know if im even going to put feet on the enclosure.

i have the tuffy rear deck sitting in my garage. once i get some parts welded and the box linex'd im just gonna toss the enclosure in there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode