another gremlin. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-03-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

another gremlin.

This has been happening for a long time, and i have pretty much ignored it but now that its getting colder, its pissing me off more and more.
Situation: Mostly at highway speeds this will happen. The MIL chime will go and the MIL will pop on. I check codes (with flashpaq) , there's none other than TPMS code which has been disabled and TPMS shouldn't set MIL anyway.. The light stays on for a day or two (unless I reset it with my flashpaq) and then it goes out until the next highway run. One of the fucked up things I notice is, that I routinely drive a 40 mile route on the freeway to the gym. Sometimes, the light will not come on during the ride there, but when I drive home from there after the the jeep has cooled for 2-3 hours, it ALWAYS comes on and usually in the exact same spot on the freeway, wtf? Last weekend, I drove to Maine 250 miles at 70 mph and no light, the next morning it came on after 10 minutes..
So, no codes and the jeep runs and drives fine but here is the thing that pisses me off about this little problem.. If the MIL is on when I shut the jeep off, the factory remote starter will not work. It will start, run for 15 seconds and die until it is started with a key. When I do this, it throws a remote starter code..
So I took it to the dealer, explained my situation.. They diagnosed it and found the remote starter code. They replaced the remote starter unit in the jeep and flashed my keyfobs, No fix... I think maybe if the MIL is on, there's a safety feature that disables the remote starter.. The problem is documented with the dealership, but I just don't feel like playing cat and mouse with them, driving it up there, dropping it off for the day and having them find nothing wrong..rinse, repeat..
IDGAF about the light (ok, it pisses me off a little), but I want the remote starter to work. I am sure that whatever causes this is something minor, but I am at a loss.. i have checked every connection that is readily accessible.
At one point last winter I was popping fuses on the driver side light circuit, turned out to be the factory wiring running to the side marker light on the driver side fender was pinched at the factory and it chafed through causing a short, that was fun to figure out, it wasn't visible and the fender had to come off to find the problem. I thought this might be the root cause of the above problem, but no..
I highly doubt there's anyone who has had a similar problem, I have googled it, searched it... nothing.. Just throwing it out there to see if anyone has ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-03-2010, 09:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I would return jeep to stock with the superchips and see if it still happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #3 of 11 Old 12-04-2010, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
I would return jeep to stock with the superchips and see if it still happens.
I should have mentioned that I tried this already, but thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Wheeler

Try leaving fuses out, one by one and trying the normal route to see if the light turn on, I found a gremlin on my wife's Liberty, it was living on the stock headunit, but I found it and killed!!
post #5 of 11 Old 12-06-2010, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileanjk View Post
Try leaving fuses out, one by one and trying the normal route to see if the light turn on, I found a gremlin on my wife's Liberty, it was living on the stock headunit, but I found it and killed!!
Thank you sir... I feel like a jackass not thinking of this myself..
Here's to you
post #6 of 11 Old 12-09-2010, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Jeep is in for brake job, had my buddy scan it for codes. got a p0740 TCC solenoid circuit open. Any one ever replace this solenoid? curious how simple (or difficult) it might be...
post #7 of 11 Old 12-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Granite Guru

Have to ask.. what is MIL ?
post #8 of 11 Old 12-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Granite Guru

Windows open to dround out any beeping and black electrical tape over any lights does wonders
post #9 of 11 Old 12-15-2010, 07:36 AM
Wheeler

thats the Torque Converter Clutch, you should check the wiring harness to the transmission first, and clean any debris the connector collects, then reconnect and try again, do you have problems at HW speeds? high RPM?
post #10 of 11 Old 12-15-2010, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileanjk View Post
thats the Torque Converter Clutch, you should check the wiring harness to the transmission first, and clean any debris the connector collects, then reconnect and try again, do you have problems at HW speeds? high RPM?
Yea, I checked all the wiring.. it's at the tranny shop now for a service, hopefully they can diagnose it.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-16-2010, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

my worst fears have been realized.. there is clutch material in the pan. looks like i'm getting the tranny rebuilt 1000 miles out of warranty..
I think there's a lesson in here somewhere. I probably should have been a little more pro-active with the dealership, but with no codes until AFTER the warranty ran out and all the mods, I doubt it would have been anything more than a blood pressure test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode