Jump start questions/recommedations - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-01-2010, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Question Jump start questions/recommedations

I did the search and couldn't find anything, so here it goes. I know that we aren't suspost to jump start the JK due to the electronics and what not, so what does everyone use/carry in the event their battery dies? I have never used a jump start, but I know that the more CCA's the better. What's JKO's take on this?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Rock God

I've jump started my JK with almost anything out there from good to bad... never had an electronic problem and never knew there was a risk.

www.californiasurveillanceinvestigators.com
post #3 of 10 Old 12-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Rock God

Garage

I have never heard of any problems jump starting any vehicle because of on board electronics....

I have jump started vehicles ranging from my friends '69 Camaro to a brand new 2009 Mercedes without incident. Personally my JK battery has died at least 4 times that I can remember (usually from overusing the stereo while off). No issues jump starting.

If you want a way to do it yourself I believe you can rig a dual battery setup to "jump start" yourself. 12voltguy makes a switch panel that makes this very easy ....

2DR '07 Rubicon 6 Spd, Jeep Green

Taller, heavier, slower, dirtier ... BETTER

Last edited by KMCobra64; 12-01-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-01-2010, 11:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here's what Chrysler has to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008 manual pg 355
JUMP STARTING
If the vehicle has a discharged battery, booster cables may be used to obtain a start from a booster battery or the battery in another vehicle. This type of start can be dangerous if done improperly, so follow this procedure carefully.

WARNING!
Battery fluid is a corrosive acid solution; do not allow battery fluid to contact eyes, skin or clothing. Don’t lean over battery when attaching clamps or allow the clamps to touch each other. If acid splashes in eyes or on skin, flush contaminated area immediately with large quantities of water.

A battery generates hydrogen gas which is flammable and explosive. Keep flame or spark away from the vent holes.

Do not use a booster battery or any other booster source that has a greater than 12 volt system, i.e. Do not use a 24 volt power source.

WARNING!
Do not permit vehicles to touch each other as this could establish a ground connection and personal injury could result.

1. Remove all metal jewelry such as watch bands or bracelets which might make an unintended electrical contact.

2. Park the booster vehicle within cable reach but without letting the vehicles touch. Set the parking brake on both vehicles, place the automatic transmission in P (Park), or the manual transmission in N (Neutral), and
turn the ignition OFF.

3. Turn off the heater, radio, and all unnecessary electrical loads.

4. Connect one end of a jumper cable to the positive terminal of the booster battery. Connect the other end of the same cable to the positive terminal of the discharged battery.

5. Connect the other cable, first to the negative terminal of the booster battery and then to the engine of the vehicle with the discharged battery. Make sure you have
a good contact on the engine.

6. Start the engine in the vehicle which has the booster battery, let the engine idle a few minutes, then start the engine in the vehicle with the discharged battery.

7. When removing the jumper cables, reverse the above sequence exactly. Be careful of the moving belts and fan.

WARNING!
Any procedure other than above could result in:
1. Personal injury caused by electrolyte squirting out the battery vent;

2. Personal injury or property damage due to battery explosion;

3. Damage to charging system of booster vehicle or of immobilized vehicle.

WARNING!
* You should not try to start your vehicle by pushing or towing.

* Do not connect the cable to the negative post of the discharge battery. The resulting electrical spark
could cause the battery to explode.

* During cold weather when temperatures are below freezing point, electrolyte in a discharged battery may freeze. Do not attempt jump starting because the battery could rupture or explode. The battery temperature must be brought up above freezing point before attempting jump start.
Sounds like booster battery or other vehicle are okay as long as it's a std 12v system

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.

Last edited by gold knight; 12-01-2010 at 03:41 PM. Reason: finished copying directions doh
post #5 of 10 Old 12-01-2010, 03:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I always have a set of booster cables with me.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Rock God

Garage

Booster cables and a booster seat here!
post #7 of 10 Old 12-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Rock God

You could jump and/or use the jump pack on a JK. Whoever said something will blow on it is a fucking retard and did something wrong to create it.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #8 of 10 Old 12-01-2010, 06:22 PM
JKO Addict!

I used standard jumper cables when I needed a jump.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-01-2010, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Cool. Thanks for the info. For some reason it was sticking in my head that you could mess up the TIPM or something important. Perhaps I had been drinking too much kool-aid this summer when that though came into my brain.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-01-2010, 08:30 PM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

Dual battery, and jump yourself.

01111001011011110111010100100000011011000110111101 11001101110100001000000111010001101000011001010010 000001100111011000010110110101100101

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl View Post
James just came a little early......
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
...May 2011 bless everyone with pervert wheeling days...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode