water crossing with TPMS - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-23-2010, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

water crossing with TPMS

when you guys do your water crossings, how do you keep your TPMS sensor from getting wet and broken? is there something i can put over it to protect it, a couple of them have broken cause of "water damage" both water crossings i've attempted... thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-23-2010, 12:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Never had any. The sensor is inside the rim and attaches the valve stem with a bolt. There is really no way water should effect them unless you are hitting something, or somehow getting water in the tire.

Any trail rated jeep is supposed to be able to ford 18"? Of water. Plenty to submerge a sensor, whoever said water damage is full of bs

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Granite Guru

I would also think if you're getting water INSIDE the tire - that would not be good at all...

I know moisture can build up inside there from the change in atmosphere / temps - but doubtful it is enough to damage a tpms sensor, which from all the pictures I have seen is a completely enclosed plastic device - probably some RF transmitter inside the casing.

2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod Lift : Bilstein 5100's Front & Back : Rock Krawler Discos : 35X12.5X17 Goodyear MTR/K's : 2" Rock Krawler Stackable Bumpstops F/R : ProComp 7089's 17x9 4.75BS : Poison Spyder Evap Skid : Poison Spyder Brawler Lite : Spiderwebshade - Trailmesh : Recon 10,500lb Winch : Olympic Rock Sliders : Hella Black Magic Lights

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-23-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

all i know is i went to about 36 inches of water with 33 inch tires on it. and then shortly thereafter by abs tpms and check engine light came on. the dealership claimed two of the sensors went bad or something. what do you think it actually woulda been?
post #5 of 9 Old 11-23-2010, 01:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Perhaps a computer issue under the hood? I have crossed 12"-18" of water many, many, times when I had the stock wheels on. Never once had an issues with the TPMS
post #6 of 9 Old 11-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla1ove3 View Post
all i know is i went to about 36 inches of water with 33 inch tires on it. and then shortly thereafter by abs tpms and check engine light came on. the dealership claimed two of the sensors went bad or something. what do you think it actually woulda been?
The harness side of the sway bar actuator connector on the Rubicon is susceptable to water intrusion. When that happens, it can disrupt bus communications and cause all kinds of weirdness. It even knocked out my radio.

Get some silicone faucet grease from your local plumbing supply to seal the connector. Pull the shell off the connector thats on the harness end, and blow any water and/or grease out with compressed air. With your finger, work some new grease down in between the wires on both the wire side and the pin side of the connector. The goal here is to keep the water from getting through the connector to the pins. Reinstall the connector hood when done. The harness plug is already sealed well to the mating connector on the disconnect motor.

Doing this once or twice a year fixes my weird electrical gremlins.

If you don't have the Rubicon, it may be some other electrical connection that got waterlogged and causing the problem. Most of them are pretty well sealed. Unfortunately, the engineer that spec'ed out the swaybar commector was on drugs that day.

Like others have said,the TPMS sensors are pretty water resistant. Just make sure you run the correct valve stem caps (with the o-rings to seal them). If yours are missing, that could cause damage to the sensors from mud getting into them.

ABS sensor wires can be ripped out by brush and floating sticks in water. That could also cause the problem.

Another problem you may have is splashing a lot of water into the TIPM (fuse box). Next time it happens, let it dry out for a few days to see if it clears up on its own.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations

Last edited by Alter Ego; 11-23-2010 at 01:59 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-24-2010, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

thanks guys. if it happens again ill post up here with more detail. last time i just took it to the dealership. told them they got damaged in the rain here and they took it in for a couple days and replaced some stuff under warranty
post #8 of 9 Old 11-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Granite Guru

Warranty is good

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #9 of 9 Old 11-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Wheeler

Spent the whole afternoon in water up to the exhaust pipe off and on for at least 2hrs some of that actually driving up and down a river trying to get out of a canyon with about 100 other jeeps and had no problem with the tpms stuff.

09 JK 3.5 Rubincon express suspension 35" open country tires 9000lb superwinch member okc jeepthing club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode