Installing new stereo/dvd player - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-22-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question Installing new stereo/dvd player

Ok, both may sound like stupid questions but at the risk of looking like an idiot

1st - I'm installing a dvd player-stereo head unit and screens in the rear headrests. I'm using the Axxess integration device, and have it mostly wired to the new stereo's harness. Only 3 wires hanging off and I'm want to make sure I know where they go before I crack the dash.

First is an Orange "Dimmer" wire that comes out of the module of the axxess device - is there a dimmer wire inside the dash cavity I have to tap into; or where does this wire go? This wire is not in the connector on the Jeep side.

Second and Third are red switched power wires. Do I need to run from the cigarette lighter or is there another 12v switched to connect to?

2nd - since I'm installing rear screens how have some of you ran the wires from the dash to the headrests? and what cables did you use? I was thinking of just running a couple of RCA cabes out of the Dash and under the center console. Also with power for the monitors... off the cigarette lighter?

Thanks

It isn't polite to stare at people picking their nose in their car... unless they eat it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

for the 12v connection, yes, i'd say the ignition switched power plug. for dimmer, it should be on the harness... but with the CanBus system, it may not be that way at all. the only standalone bulb i can think of right away is the one that neelessly illuminates the shifter. for running the wires, i'd go under the console to about midway of the seat.. leave enough slack for full seat travel... route up the inside the of the seat back to the headrests. you might be able to remove the headrests for the install. not 100% positive on the JK, but some of the mounts are hollow and you can run the wires through them, but others, you just gotta tuck up next to the headreast rods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Wheeler

The Orange cable must be conected to the dimmer option on the stereo, the 12v switched is in the axxes device, thats why you use the integration device instead of the wire harness only, it understand the messages from the jeep computer, and converts to dimmer signal and switched 12v Power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-24-2010, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileanjk View Post
the 12v switched is in the axxes device, thats why you use the integration device instead of the wire harness only, it understand the messages from the jeep computer, and converts to dimmer signal and switched 12v Power.

So you are saying that I should connect the 12v switched from the module to the stereo side, and not a switched source like the lighter?

Also I was looking through everything for this radio, and it looks like there is no dimmer wire input on the radio wire harness...

thanks for the help

It isn't polite to stare at people picking their nose in their car... unless they eat it.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Wheeler

Yes, the axxess integration device, get the message from the computer to switch on or off the HU. It's the same a bought, I just bought the wrong frame adapter, so I couldn't install my pioneer yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode