Dual battery / AUX Battery issue - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 11-20-2010, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Unhappy Dual battery / AUX Battery issue

Ok first off, let's start with what I got...

Benchmark stage 3
2 - optima yellow tops
ARB compressor
sPOD
Warn winch ( MOST RECENT, less than 2 mo.)
500 AMP in line winch fuse
I also replace one of the OE straps ( battery to firewall strap)

I'm hoping electrical guru can chime in and help me out.

My issue is somewhere the AUX battery (newest battery) draining, with nothing on. Current voltage is 8.2, tested @ a Autozone.. Starter battery is good,

Everything is wired correctly by Benchmark install instructions. It's not a new install, have had this set up for months, so this is a new problem, and was just noticed today here @ hidden falls ( when I was unable to to use my compressor/ rear air locker )

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by andrelopez99; 11-20-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-20-2010, 05:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Optimas are garbage. Dump them. I had a similar experience with Yellow Tops; will never buy Optima again. Added a second, new yellow top. It drained my original repeatedly. Had to replace both.

Dual Duralast Platinum Marine now
post #3 of 23 Old 11-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblegoose1 View Post
Optimas are garbage. Dump them. I had a similar experience with Yellow Tops; will never buy Optima again.

That is what I run. Better batteries, better CCA, better warranty....just plain better!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 11-20-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Optimas are garbage. Dump them. I had a similar experience with Yellow Tops; will never buy Optima again.

You mean them draining? Just like that, Honestly, I've been reading that here lately, but replacing 2 batteries at once... I shouldn't complain really on how much we spend on our rigs.

Note: I'm not really familiar with testing of any of that sort, finding an electrical problem...

post #5 of 23 Old 11-20-2010, 06:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelopez99 View Post
You mean them draining? Just like that, Honestly, I've been reading that here lately, but replacing 2 batteries at once... I shouldn't complain really on how much we spend on our rigs.

Note: I'm not really familiar with testing of any of that sort, finding an electrical problem...
Yep, added dual tray kit, everything wired correctly and has never changed. Both batteries wouldn't last more than 24 hrs. Jeep wouldn't start. Swapped batteries, no problem for almost a year now.
post #6 of 23 Old 11-20-2010, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Don't know if it changes anything, I also have a 500 amp in line winch fuse.

post #7 of 23 Old 11-20-2010, 06:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have the same setup. KISS wiring and winch fuse from John. Zero issues now.
post #8 of 23 Old 11-20-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Duralast, Die hard, or odyessy? ( does it matter )

Anything aside from optima

post #9 of 23 Old 11-20-2010, 06:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

All the same, as far as I understand. Odyssey is a rebadged Die Hard. Sears is where I got mine
post #10 of 23 Old 11-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Yep, added dual tray kit, everything wired correctly and has never changed. Both batteries wouldn't last more than 24 hrs. Jeep wouldn't start. Swapped batteries, no problem for almost a year now.
I run 4.yes 4 yellow tops, no problems over a year later.
+ 1 in my dd going on 2 years
need to find the drain
hook test light or volt meter between neg battery cable & battery, if the light is on, there is a drain, start pulling fuses till light goes out, that is the drain.
I have yet to see the cause as the battery........it might happen, but don't blame the battery without knowing, that is as bad as blaming a gun for someone getting shot

COVER of 4Wheeler mag DEC 2010...right now

post #11 of 23 Old 11-20-2010, 07:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Obviously, every situation or issue doesn't have to be the exact same. In my situation, extremely similar to what you are experiencing, the old Optima killed the new Optima. One was replaced through warranty; of course the older one was not covered. And they won't get a dime from me again.

I had a similar Red Top experience in a prefessionally built stereo comp rig. Builder warned against using Optimas. He builds for MTX.
post #12 of 23 Old 11-20-2010, 07:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12voltguy.com View Post
I run 4.yes 4 yellow tops, no problems over a year later.
+ 1 in my dd going on 2 years
need to find the drain
hook test light or volt meter between neg battery cable & battery, if the light is on, there is a drain, start pulling fuses till light goes out, that is the drain.
I have yet to see the cause as the battery........it might happen, but don't blame the battery without knowing, that is as bad as blaming a gun for someone getting shot
My Yellow Top is 4 years old and just goes.. Unless their quality has dropped.. I know they have a 2 year no hassle warranty..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #13 of 23 Old 11-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Rock God

Garage
Post Odyssey is a rebadged Die Hard

Quote:
All the same, as far as I understand. Odyssey is a rebadged Die Hard. Sears is where I got mine
I'm thinking you have that back-wards! Sears is putting the Die-hard label on the Odyssey. I'm not convinced that the die hard is the exact same battery. But they are made by the same company. Odyssey makes a LOT of battery models. I've been running them for years with no problems. Odyssey that is not the die-hard.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #14 of 23 Old 11-21-2010, 04:14 AM
Granite Guru

Have you tested it while the cars running to make sure its charging it at around 13.5 volts? I'm with 12 volt guy on checking for drains too. If its reading like 8 volts you could have 2 cells shorted in the battery though. As to everyone else with optima battery issues I've heard of some issues too, but we run them in about 20 peterbilts (the group 31 yellow tops) And for the abuse the trucks put them through and heat, they have been holding up great.

Quote:
-I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
post #15 of 23 Old 11-21-2010, 05:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

Quote:
My issue is somewhere the AUX battery (newest battery) draining, with nothing on. Current voltage is 8.2, tested @ a Autozone.. Starter battery is good,
I would take the AUX battery back to where you bought it and trade it in.. If your Optima battery is less then 3 years old, you can get a free replacement..

OPTIMA YELLOWTOP WARRANTY INFORMATION
D34/78, D75/25, D34, D35, D51, D51R Automotive, LTV, Commercial, Car Audio 36 months free replacement

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...eb.php#yellow1

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.

Last edited by benmar2000; 11-21-2010 at 05:31 AM.
post #16 of 23 Old 11-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Granite Guru

Optima and Duralast batteries are made by the same company.....Johnson Controls.

I doubt your issue is which brand of battery you own but rather something drawing on the 2nd battery or something in the wiring.
post #17 of 23 Old 11-21-2010, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah right now I'm running through the wiring,

Solenoid is in good working order

It's not the spod...

Will see

NOTE : Just as a precaution, I exchanging the AUX battery under warranty.

Last edited by andrelopez99; 11-21-2010 at 05:29 PM.
post #18 of 23 Old 11-21-2010, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
sPOD response

Andre,
This gets a little tricky. You want to make sure that the battery management module is working properly. Put a volt meter on the auxiliary battery while the engine is running to be sure you are seeing 13.2 Ė 14.7 volts DC. You want to be sure the battery is charging properly first.
Next, what is attached to the auxiliary battery? I know that if you have a fridge, or an inverter attached and not running the Jeep every few hours may drain the battery.
If you have the sPOD positive and negative terminals attached to the aux battery you should not have any drain on the battery until a switch is turned on that has an accessory attached to it. This may drain the battery.
Ok, with that being said and out of the way, letís talk batteries!
Based on insurance claims against Optima from 2 customers and Sears relinquishing their contract with Optima due to failures and explosions, I would have to say that the Optimas are not my choice of batteries.
Thatís just my opinion and experience.
I have had a Sears DieHard Platinum P1 in my Jeep for 4 years now and have never had a problem with it! I run an Engle 45 quart fridge, an inverter while Iím out on expeditions and can run the fridge for 3 Ė 4 days without ever having to start the Jeep! This is a 10 year battery. It is also $185.00!
The Sears DieHard Platinum battery is a re-branded Odyssey battery. The Odyssey battery is one of the best batteries on the market right now. This is not just my personal opinion, this has been written about by some of the most prestigious journals and magazines out there! Heck, you can call and talk to Scott Brady of Overland Journal and he will confirm that for you.
I donít want you to get rid of your existing batteries, use them until they are expired and then replace them with the Odyssey batteries.
I think there is something draining the battery. I would disconnect anything connected to it and keep the charging system in place to evaluate whether or not it is still discharging.
Sorry for such a long response Andre, but this needs to be looked at real close before you spend a ton of money needlessly. Call John at Benchmark and get his opinions on the system as well.

Thanks again for asking me.

post #19 of 23 Old 11-21-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Re: Dual battery
Andre,
no problem..I hope that helps......just keep me posted.
I also want to point out that the CAN-Bus system on your Jeep is very sensitive to voltage spikes and drops, so be sure that any auxiliary electrical item is connected directly to the sPOD! Not to the fuse box or any other OEM electrical wires on the Jeep.
If I was in Texas I would be there in a hot second to help you out.
Hope I was of help to you..

Take care buddy.

post #20 of 23 Old 11-21-2010, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Ok, guys, the ONLY thing I found was a piece of the protective tubing from ground wire was rubbed off and touching AUX positive terminal...

No expert..I'm guessing this is the coprite..

post #21 of 23 Old 11-21-2010, 09:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Ok, guys, the ONLY thing I found was a piece of the protective tubing from ground wire was rubbed off and touching AUX positive terminal...

Could be... lucky you didn't encounter a meltdown.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #22 of 23 Old 11-21-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
Could be... lucky you didn't encounter a meltdown.
YEAH, no kidding... I guessing I'm lucky by it being an accessory ground wire, that really is only used on wheeling trips...

post #23 of 23 Old 11-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

Definitely the problem.

Badass Bumpers, Dual Battery Systems, Rockcrawler Oil Pans and More!
www.benchmarkdesigns.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode