DDM TUNING H.I.D. H13 KIT 55W 8K - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 11-13-2010, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

DDM TUNING H.I.D. H13 KIT 55W 8K

uhhhhhh.....yea This is the most confusing set up I have done. My r6 was SOOOOOOOOO easy. Here is pictures of all wiring harnesses. I don't know what goes where because there is one extra plug (wiring harness 2-2, female plug red/white/blue wiring) Someone please help a fellow JK'er out!

Wiring Harness # 1

1. Main relay of the harness.

2. Positive lead to battery terminal with inline fuse

3. Negative lead to battery

4. Left headlight-
4a. Red/Black Male connector
4b. Blue/White Female connector

5. Right Headlight-
5a. Red/Black Male connector
5b. Blue/White Female connector

Wiring harness # 2

1. Main relay of harness # 2

2. A female connector with red/white/blue wiring

3. Left Headlight-
3a. Male connector with red wiring (+ I assume),
3b. ground wire,
3c. and another smaller male connector that looks like it shouldconnect to one of the female connectors the picture below(1D)

4. Right Headlight-
4a. Male connector with red wiring (+ I assume),
4b. ground wire,
4c. and another smaller male connector that looks like it should connect to one of the female connectors the picture below(1D)

5. Positive wire to battery terminal with inline fuse.

Headlights/Eliminators/ballast

1a. Headlight housing/bulb.
1b. Female connector with RED wire > connects to 2a below
1c. Male connector with BLACK wire > connects to 2b below
1d. RED/BLACK wire with female connector

2A. RED male connector > connects to 1B above
2B. BLUE Female connector > connects to 1C above

3. Eliminator
3A. Female connector- BLACK plastic piece
3B. Male connector with RED/BLACK wiring

4. RED female connector off of ballast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-14-2010, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

The key was using the male connector off of the #2 wiring harness and plugging it into the wiring harness of the headlight. It plugs into the passenger side factory harness and the driver side goes unused. Everything else was plug and play....I'm very pleased. Will get some better pics later on. Weather is nasty outside right now....
post #3 of 20 Old 11-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Granite Guru

Looks good! I have the same kit in the 10000k and I love them. Just to give you a heads up if it happens to you like it happened to me...After about a week of having them, one light went out and I could not figure out why. Ended up being that for a short period of time DDM was sending out 2 ballasts that didn't work correctly together for some reason. I am not a genius at electrical stuff but luckily I have a friend (who also had the same problem when he put them in his JK) that had an extra ballast from an older system from DDM. Once we switched the ballast out from the non working light with that one everything was fine and is still fine. Hopefully this doesn't happen to you but just in case it does this might help save some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 11-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Granite Guru

So what particular stuff did you order from DDM? I'm confuzzed.

Also, any durability issues so far with vibration? Im hearing that HID kits can die if they see too much vibe....

THANKS
post #5 of 20 Old 11-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Granite Guru

Sorry about that i kinda went on a rant...I got the H13 55W 10000k H.I.D. without the wiring harness. I have had them on since this past June and I wheel a lot in the mud and mess around on the trails a good bit. So far I havent had a problem since the ballast issue I described before...I hope this one helps out, I didnt mean to confuse you, my bad.
post #6 of 20 Old 11-29-2010, 03:50 PM
JKO Addict!

looks good, wish i could keep my HIDs. They just got plain dangerous on the extended two lanes out here, they lit so well!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 Jk View Post
Sorry about that i kinda went on a rant...I got the H13 55W 10000k H.I.D. without the wiring harness. I have had them on since this past June and I wheel a lot in the mud and mess around on the trails a good bit. So far I havent had a problem since the ballast issue I described before...I hope this one helps out, I didnt mean to confuse you, my bad.
cool thanks!

so thats all I would need?
post #8 of 20 Old 12-08-2010, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

hid kit

sorry i haven't been getting updates on this post. If you go to DDM tunings website and just pick your year/make/model and what hid kit you want. Mine is the 55 watt h13 8k. They recommend going up 2k because of the higher wattage.....

I'll send you a PM with a link.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-08-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

pics

white fence line is 300 yards
LOW

HIGH
post #10 of 20 Old 12-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Granite Guru

Diggin' up an old thread here but the DDM kit I have is exactly what you have and I hooked all mine up and the bulbs are not lighting up. Any idea how I can get it working? I took one of the grounds from the passenger side and put it back to the positive terminal on the battery, and the other one I just grounded one of the bolts on the side of the engine bay, and then I did the same on the driver side ground wire. Any help is greatly appreciated!
post #11 of 20 Old 12-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Rock God

You put one wire to the +, you attach the headlight plug to the adaptor. Then it's just a matter of plugging in the bulbs to the ballasts.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #12 of 20 Old 12-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Granite Guru

My DDM kit has the positive terminal connection and then it has two ground wires, one for the driver side and one for the passenger side. Are you saying that I don't do anything with those? I've got all of the connections correct as far as I can tell with the relay, ballasts, bulbs, etc. I have heard that sometimes unplugging the ballasts and flipping over the plugs and then plugging them back in can correct the issue. I will give that a shot and see if it does anything. Thanks for the reply!
post #13 of 20 Old 12-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Granite Guru

I tried switching the plugs that go into the ballasts and it's not possible on the DDM kits. I have checked all my wiring and rechecked it all and everything is ready to go as far as I'm concerned and they aren't lighting up. This is not my first HID install but for some reason it's giving me some serious trouble. Anyone in Denver that can come help me out? Lol Hit me up at 719-522-3202 if you can. I need to get my rig back on the road today and I'd rather not put the stockers back in just to go through taking the grill off again trying to fix the HIDs.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Granite Guru

Well I struggled with it some more today and still nothing happening. Also, I tried to install my fogs. I got an H16 kit and the stock connectors are not working with my HID kit so I'm not sure what is going on there either. Is H16 the correct bulb size for 2011 JK fogs?
post #15 of 20 Old 12-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Rock God

Sorry, forgot about the -'s. You gotta hook those up too.

The fogs should be even easier than the headlights (just straight pnp, no relays, nothing). If they are not working either, then it sounds like something is wrong. If the fog bulbs fit into the stock attachments (to hold them into the bumper) then it's the right ones. I can't remember exactly, bu h16 sounds right.

As for the headlights, the ballast connections can't be reversed. They usually come with a locking tab so that when you connect the lights to the ballast it clicks into place, ensuring it doesn't come undone, and that you can't plug it in backwards. If they're not lighting up at all, I'd ensure your +/- have a good connection, and that the adapter that connects to the stock plug (to get the signal from your switch in the cab) also has a good connection. You don't even have to get the bulbs into the headlights. Leave them out while you test it (makes it easier to check connections, etc).

It's either that they're ALL broken, or there's something wrong. No offense, but I'm guessing there's something wrong. If I lived closer would come help... but unless you're driving to alaska, you're sol lol.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #16 of 20 Old 12-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Granite Guru

No offense taken. I have installed 5 HID kits on a combination of cars and my motorcycle and have never had an issue. Now this one is throwing me for a loop. The DDM ballasts do have a locking tab that won't allow it to be hooked in the other way but I've seen other HID manufacturers that have ballasts that can be hooked in either direction. I have been testing them without the headlights and such in the car but last night I ran into a jam because I have to leave for work about this time (AKA 0 Dark 30) and I needed some type of headlights. I ended up leaving all the HID stuff hooked up in the bay and just throwing the halogens back in. I didn't even put the grill back on yet. I contacted Blackr6 and he and I are going to chat this evening and see what I have going on different from his kit. What a PITA this has turned out to be!
post #17 of 20 Old 12-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Granite Guru

I figured it out! Apparently sometimes the relay comes from the factory with "faulty" connections to the wires that come out of it (grounding, positive, etc.) So I had to fiddle with that and then shabam they lit right up. Anyone needs some HID help I'm your guy. I have been all through this kit. Thanks for the reply Riptide I appreciate it.
post #18 of 20 Old 12-07-2011, 08:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

So how does everyone like this HID set up. Im trying to decide what to do for lighting. Is the pattern ok or is it super scattered bothering other drivers. Does anyone have a link to buy these?

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
post #19 of 20 Old 12-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Granite Guru

Check out DDM tuning. Just google search for it. The output isn't too bad. Granted they aren't projector housings but they keep the light manageable. I will be upgrading to a projector setup down the road but for the time being I am satisfied with my output. I haven't been flashed by anyone yet so they seem to be staying out of other motorist's way.
post #20 of 20 Old 12-08-2011, 08:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Giv View Post
Check out DDM tuning. Just google search for it. The output isn't too bad. Granted they aren't projector housings but they keep the light manageable. I will be upgrading to a projector setup down the road but for the time being I am satisfied with my output. I haven't been flashed by anyone yet so they seem to be staying out of other motorist's way.
Thanks ill check them out.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode