LED Issues - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 11-09-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
LED Issues

Looks like i got another Gremlin. I was closing up the shop tonight and hit the lights and noticed a faint glow on the rear LEDS. Its very faint and doesnt draw lots of power because the Jeep hasnt moved in over a week and started up just fine. Any ideas why these would stay powered? I swapped in a set of regular incandescent 4 inch rounds and its not enough juice to light those up

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-09-2010, 08:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I had the same chit going on with my Recon turn signals..... weird. I also added resistors and still have the hyper flash on the passenger's side. I emailed Tech and will report out what they say about the dim LEDs when the Jeep is off.

They went out after a while and have not done it since last night....

post #3 of 26 Old 11-09-2010, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Ive been running the same lights for months and the jeep sits weeks at a time so its not hurting anything. but now im annoyed lol

keep me posted on what they have to say. I have not added resistors i just have delt with the machine gun blink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 11-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Rock God

My hypothesis is that there is residual capacitance on the circuit for your lights. Being that LEDs take next to nothing to power, they dimly light.

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #5 of 26 Old 11-09-2010, 09:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
I have not added resistors i just have delt with the machine gun blink
x2

mine have always done it. kinda annoying but at the same time kinda neat. they do dim out. but i have also noticed that if i open the rear gate and shut it the passenger side will flash as to almost shoot the remaining power left in the circuit out? only one time though after i shut the jeep off.

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 Old 11-09-2010, 09:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:. View Post
x2

mine have always done it. kinda annoying but at the same time kinda neat. they do dim out. but i have also noticed that if i open the rear gate and shut it the passenger side will flash as to almost shoot the remaining power left in the circuit out? only one time though after i shut the jeep off.
X2 - on the opening the rear gate and etc. (exact same), happens to me with the ORO litedots.

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 Old 11-10-2010, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah i notice the flash when you open the gate or a rear door just never gave it much thought
post #8 of 26 Old 11-10-2010, 05:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Thats pretty odd, any of you guys try making a ground strap back there? From the tub to the frame or something?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #9 of 26 Old 11-10-2010, 05:44 AM
JKowners Vendor

I've had both issues since day one of installing LED rears. Doesn't really bug me so I just learned to live with both.
post #10 of 26 Old 11-10-2010, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Its nice to know its just not my Heap being retarded again lol.
post #11 of 26 Old 11-10-2010, 08:01 AM
JKO Addict!

my 2cents - i found some LED bulbs to swap in on my factory taillights.... I had the same issue. I didn't like it, so i changed them out to some "super white" regular bulbs.
post #12 of 26 Old 11-10-2010, 12:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Thats pretty odd, any of you guys try making a ground strap back there? From the tub to the frame or something?
Their response was basically this. They said to ensure that the ground is sound and to go to the chassis with a screw. I might try a self tapper under the front somewhere just to see. They also said that I could try adding another resistor..... Which is strange because the right one is perfect.... If both of them were a little dim for a few minutes after you shut it down it would be kinda cool, like you meant for it to do that but only one looks like something is fucked up..
post #13 of 26 Old 11-11-2010, 03:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

same deal with my LED front turn signals
faint glow for a few minutes after shutoff and a flicker when you open the door
I just go the microsoft route and call it a feature,not a bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #14 of 26 Old 11-11-2010, 07:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
Their response was basically this. They said to ensure that the ground is sound and to go to the chassis with a screw. I might try a self tapper under the front somewhere just to see. They also said that I could try adding another resistor..... Which is strange because the right one is perfect.... If both of them were a little dim for a few minutes after you shut it down it would be kinda cool, like you meant for it to do that but only one looks like something is fucked up..
I'd just run a quick jumper from the battery to a good screw/area in the back to see if the ground does anything for you before messin with much else. May fix it, grounds can do screwy things!

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #15 of 26 Old 11-11-2010, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think i have a bad ground somewhere. I just havent bothered to chase it down.
post #16 of 26 Old 11-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Granite Guru

My poison spyder led taillights do this too. the flash when you open a door, and the always on, but only a few leds and super dim thing....and the machine gun flash. i've upgraded the resistors too, but no changes....

So a basic graound issus is where we're all leaning? Could the CB ground be messing with all of this? Any solution would be appreciated!
post #17 of 26 Old 11-11-2010, 08:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I don't think its a ground issue, you guys are having it on the tails, mine does it on the front turn signals
more likely a canbus thing than a ground thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #18 of 26 Old 11-11-2010, 09:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Very little power is required to light up an LED... if there is the least bit of power left in the Jeep's electrical system... the lights are probably getting the power from that. I play around with LED's quite a bit... 2 LED's with a resistor plugged into a 12v power supply, if you unplug the power supply the LED's will stay on for 30 seconds or so, not full power just a dim glow.

That's my 2 cents...

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #19 of 26 Old 11-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Granite Guru

Just to jump on the bandwagon, I have this "feature" as well with my LEDs!
post #20 of 26 Old 11-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Wheeler

In order for led turn signals to work properly you have to install an electronic flasher in place of the oem unit.

09 JK 3.5 Rubincon express suspension 35" open country tires 9000lb superwinch member okc jeepthing club
post #21 of 26 Old 11-11-2010, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesbro View Post
In order for led turn signals to work properly you have to install an electronic flasher in place of the oem unit.
they work fine in the JK with resistors. but they still hold a charge after the vehicle is off
post #22 of 26 Old 11-13-2010, 07:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i remember this happening when i had my G35 with LEDS in the dome lights and marker lights. as said it has to do with such little amount of elec. needed to power the lights.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #23 of 26 Old 11-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Granite Guru

The system in the jk is solid state, not relays. Called a ssr.

What this means is even when off there is what's called leakage current. The load of the LEDs is not enough for the ssr to completely shut off.

Add a resistor in parallel to the LEDs to drain the leakage. Start high like 20k ohm and move down until it works.

The higher wattage load resistors commonly used with LEDs may work too.
post #24 of 26 Old 11-14-2010, 06:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wubicon View Post
The system in the jk is solid state, not relays. Called a ssr.

What this means is even when off there is what's called leakage current. The load of the LEDs is not enough for the ssr to completely shut off.

Add a resistor in parallel to the LEDs to drain the leakage. Start high like 20k ohm and move down until it works.

The higher wattage load resistors commonly used with LEDs may work too.
So regardless it will still draw either through the resistor, or really dim LEDs either way is what yo are saying? Or will the solid state module turn off/go to sleep with the resistor?

post #25 of 26 Old 11-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Rock God

Garage

I had this issue in an Acura I used to have. I spun the bulbs around. Apparently LEDs have polarity..

Try it out. And I think if one was reversed they all did this.

no jeep here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode