Help needed wiring air horns - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
KJV
Granite Guru

Help needed wiring air horns

I've searched till my head hurts and can't find a specific answer to my question, so hoping someone can shed some light on my dilemma. I am wiring a Hornblasters Conductor special up this weekend and would like to find a way to wire an interrupt switch so I can toggle between air horns and factory crap using the stock wheel mounted horn. I assume their is a horn relay somewhere on this vehicle. Need to find it to splice into the constant hot and output wires. BTW this is a 2010 Unlimited Sport. Any help is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 05:30 AM
Granite Guru

Realy doubt that you will find a relay. Just about everything else is switched straight out of the computer. If you want a button to switch back and forth. Just make that button your new horn.

"The Green Monster"
2007 2 Door X Jeep Green with Freedom Top
16" Painted Aluminum Mopar Wheels
Grab Bar Mod on front bumper
130w KC Daylighter Driving Beams on grab bar
130w KC Daylighter Long Range Beams
on
Smittybuilt Windshield Brackets
Rock Light Mod
Reverse Light Mod
Mood Light Mod
post #3 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 06:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJV View Post
I've searched till my head hurts and can't find a specific answer to my question, so hoping someone can shed some light on my dilemma. I am wiring a Hornblasters Conductor special up this weekend and would like to find a way to wire an interrupt switch so I can toggle between air horns and factory crap using the stock wheel mounted horn. I assume their is a horn relay somewhere on this vehicle. Need to find it to splice into the constant hot and output wires. BTW this is a 2010 Unlimited Sport. Any help is greatly appreciated

Here is an idea:
My bud has his hornblasters wired up directly to a button vs to his horn button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 07:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Horn relay is built into the fuse box and is not accessible from my understanding.

You would have to toggle it after the steering column. One position would be stock. The other would go to a new relay to the new horns.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Horn relay is built into the fuse box and is not accessible from my understanding.

You would have to toggle it after the steering column. One position would be stock. The other would go to a new relay to the new horns.
I was thinking the same thing. Like an 'A B switch' of sorts.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Rock God

Garage
Question Ground

I have not worked on horn wiring in many years, but the horn button used to be the ground.... Is it still that way?

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 07:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Should be the ground input to the stock relay/transistor. But you would need to check that against a wiring schematic to be sure. At least find the wire and make sure power isn't being applied. If not just ground it.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #8 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Should be the ground input to the stock relay/transistor. But you would need to check that against a wiring schematic to be sure. At least find the wire and make sure power isn't being applied. If not just ground it.
I'm no expert on this matter by no means. But, Since all of our devices are computer controlled, I believe that you will find some kind of control signal being used instead of power.
I'm thinking that you will have to cut the wires at the horn. Splice in a relay. And then use your a/b switch to control the relay.

"The Green Monster"
2007 2 Door X Jeep Green with Freedom Top
16" Painted Aluminum Mopar Wheels
Grab Bar Mod on front bumper
130w KC Daylighter Driving Beams on grab bar
130w KC Daylighter Long Range Beams
on
Smittybuilt Windshield Brackets
Rock Light Mod
Reverse Light Mod
Mood Light Mod

Last edited by JK-Ford; 10-29-2010 at 10:53 AM.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
KJV
Granite Guru

Quote:
Exactly what I want to do. I guess I'll have to pull apart the column and find the wire coming off the stock horn button.

Thanks for the suggestion to use another button for the horns.....just not what I want to do.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 02:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK-Ford View Post
I'm no expert on this matter by no means. But, Since all of our devices are computer controlled, I believe that you will find some kind of control signal being used instead of power.
I'm thinking that you will have to cut the wires at the horn. Splice in a relay. And then use your a/b switch to control the relay.
I highly doubt the horn on a Jk is on a can bus. Especially since it works with the vehicle completely off and asleep.

post #11 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 02:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My piece of advice, put it on a seperate push button. That's how mine is. right next to the turn signal switch on the dash. way easier, and my Horn blasters are WAY too loud to use on a regular basis for a horn. Ask anyone who was at Jeeptoberfest. Scared the piss out of alot of people.
I even put a flip up cover on mine so I wouldn't hit it by mistake.
Trust me, you DON'T want to hit them and a cop be around the corner. Not good.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 02:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

if you decide to do it anyway, tap off your wires going into your horn, to the toggle switch and then back to the 2 horns. replace your horn fuse with a 20 amp instead of the 10 and you can toggle back and forth.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
KJV
Granite Guru

Thanks for the tips Joker. Would love to see some pics of your setup if you have any. The only way I could come up with was the way you suggested by running wiring into the cab from the horn wiring. Will probably just wire a momentary switch to activate the air valve. The compressor will be wired to a relay that will be switched as well for safety. I know those horns are disgustingly loud...I've used my garage compressor to temporarily fire them.
post #14 of 15 Old 10-30-2010, 12:09 AM
JKO Addict!

I would use the power wire that goes to the horn. Then I'd tap that, use it to power the Hornblasters, and have an interrupt switch to turn off the Hornblasters when I don't need it (probably never, but maybe night time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #15 of 15 Old 11-08-2010, 05:56 AM
Wheeler

I used the hot wire right off of the horn, patched it into a relay along with the air horn pressure switch. I mounted a switch in side the jeep that uses a hot wire to trigger the relay so I can toggle between the factor horn and the air horn, using the steering wheel switch just like factory horn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode