2010 Fog Lamps - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-28-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Question 2010 Fog Lamps

OK - I did several searches and I already knew the 2010 (and maybe as far back as 2008) uses some new bulb (PSX24W or PS24W, yada, yada, ya).

And I know this CANBUS system makes most everything a PITA

The question I can't seem to answer with clarity is whether or not all the other bulb designations that pop up on web searches as being "the same as" such as: H16, 9009, 5202, 7202, etc. are really the same as.

It is clear that I can't walk into an auto parts store and pick an OEM PSX24W off the shelf, but some of those others are available. I also understand some of those other bulbs draw more amps and the Jeep may not like them (turn them off). So my other question is this: if the 2010 is set up for that goofy PSX24W, and you swap the housing and wiring to go to an older bulb version (H10 or whatnot), why does the Jeep not shut it down then?

So please clarify for me: which other bulbs can drop in as direct replacement? And with an entire swap, why don't you have to go to the dealer to get the ECU reprogrammed to recognize the better (higher watt/amp draw) older bulbs?

Continually CANBUS frustrated...

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcul8r View Post
OK - I did several searches and I already knew the 2010 (and maybe as far back as 2008) uses some new bulb (PSX24W or PS24W, yada, yada, ya).

And I know this CANBUS system makes most everything a PITA

The question I can't seem to answer with clarity is whether or not all the other bulb designations that pop up on web searches as being "the same as" such as: H16, 9009, 5202, 7202, etc. are really the same as.

It is clear that I can't walk into an auto parts store and pick an OEM PSX24W off the shelf, but some of those others are available. I also understand some of those other bulbs draw more amps and the Jeep may not like them (turn them off). So my other question is this: if the 2010 is set up for that goofy PSX24W, and you swap the housing and wiring to go to an older bulb version (H10 or whatnot), why does the Jeep not shut it down then?

So please clarify for me: which other bulbs can drop in as direct replacement? And with an entire swap, why don't you have to go to the dealer to get the ECU reprogrammed to recognize the better (higher watt/amp draw) older bulbs?

Continually CANBUS frustrated...
I have a set of 2010 Rubi fogs that I bought for a 2007 JK. Needless to say I can't really use them- So if you need a spare set we can talk...
I do know that trying to locate a plug for the 2010 POS Bulb- is not happening

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeep is gone
post #3 of 7 Old 10-28-2010, 02:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I installed some Vision X Solos in place of the factory fogs. I got the ellipitical beam, flat mount made some custom brackets and everything works great. The Solos only draw .75w per light. I have them on the factory wiring and switch and no problems. I'm at work now I can post some pics later tonight.

I got the lights and mounts from Darick @ Motorsports2 here on JKO.

Here's the link http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=896353

Steve

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-29-2010, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I should clarify: my OEM fogs are working / not damaged; they just plain suk! I was hoping one of those alternative bulb types that often appear on google searches as "the same as" are really plug-n-play. When I google for compatibility, so far no definitive answers, and this dang CANBUS system always throws a monkey wrench into the simple answer.

post #5 of 7 Old 10-29-2010, 12:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That's why I replaced mine... they suck and no replacement bulb. LED's don't draw much on the factory system... hooked them up on the factory wiring... no problems.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-30-2010, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I like the Vision X idea, but not much of a fabrication shop in my garage (none to be exact). Expendable cash is in short supply. I did at least bookmark their web page for the future, but could not find their VXHH13 headlight upgrade. So those little LED foggers are that much better than OEM (wait... what isn't better than OEM?)? Appreciate the advice and will take it to heart.

post #7 of 7 Old 10-30-2010, 07:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcul8r View Post
I like the Vision X idea, but not much of a fabrication shop in my garage (none to be exact). Expendable cash is in short supply. I did at least bookmark their web page for the future, but could not find their VXHH13 headlight upgrade. So those little LED foggers are that much better than OEM (wait... what isn't better than OEM?)? Appreciate the advice and will take it to heart.
Her is the link for the H13's

http://www.visionxonly.com/m7/VX-HH1...-bulb-set.html

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode