Adding a power window switch to the door! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-27-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Adding a power window switch to the door!

Long story short, I've got a 4 door with power windows and locks. I found someone who will trade half doors for my full doors but he doesn't have the power window switches in his dash.

Could I just buy another lock switch but wire it to the power window motor and install it in the door, so I would have two switches right in the door? Then all he would have to do is get power to the harness, right? Or am I missing something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-27-2010, 07:05 PM
Rock God

interesting idea.. that might work.. here are the switches i used ..worked out great.. even put them in the stock location.

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/..._Code=33040130
post #3 of 12 Old 10-27-2010, 07:07 PM
JKO Addict!

you 'could', but it'd suck to wire. And they'd all be independent. He couldn't roll down any other window from the drivers seat.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-29-2010, 08:57 AM
Rock God

Garage
Question Junk Yard

Have you thought of hitting a junk yard for the stock setup?

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-29-2010, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktuttle View Post
I figure the odds of buying 4 black doors in good condition at a reasonable price are pretty slim, if I have to spend more than $1,000 between purchasing and painting different full doors I'd rather just drop the cash to buy a set of half doors and keep mine. So it's either make mine work for him and trade, or don't.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktuttle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron R View Post
I figure the odds of buying 4 black doors in good condition at a reasonable price are pretty slim, if I have to spend more than $1,000 between purchasing and painting different full doors I'd rather just drop the cash to buy a set of half doors and keep mine. So it's either make mine work for him and trade, or don't.
I think he meant the switches....
post #7 of 12 Old 10-29-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
I think he meant the switches....
Heh, I read that completely wrong. For some reason I was thinking he meant a set of doors without the power options.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-29-2010, 08:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
you 'could', but it'd suck to wire. And they'd all be independent. He couldn't roll down any other window from the drivers seat.
X2, sounds like an awful big fawkin hassle to me. Prolly the easiest thing for HIM to do would be a get an aftermarket switch panel and wire the doors in.

edit: OR salvage an OEM harness and tie it in... which would still = wiring job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.

Last edited by scottrock; 10-29-2010 at 09:02 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-29-2010, 09:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The non-power doors still have a wire harness going to them right? I believe just so the jeep knows the doors are off and interior light? I thought I read in thread here that someone did this swap, or was going to and the connectors are also different between the power and non power doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #10 of 12 Old 10-29-2010, 09:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
The non-power doors still have a wire harness going to them right? I believe just so the jeep knows the doors are off and interior light? I thought I read in thread here that someone did this swap, or was going to and the connectors are also different between the power and non power doors.
Well I don't know about the differences between harnesses or the window controls but it was easy enough to add power locks to my factory non-power lock doors. A pair of actuators w a + & - wire & some quick connects & it was done.

The big issue with this situation (if I understand it correctly) is going to be 1. the recipient of the electric doors wiring em up to a non-electric system (not the sellers problem IMO) and 2. the seller wiring up his existing lock wiring to aftermarket lock actuators. Any audio shop worth their salt should be able to knock THAT out.

But I could be wrong. It's happened once or twice.

Quote:
post #11 of 12 Old 10-30-2010, 06:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
Well I don't know about the differences between harnesses or the window controls but it was easy enough to add power locks to my factory non-power lock doors. A pair of actuators w a + & - wire & some quick connects & it was done.

The big issue with this situation (if I understand it correctly) is going to be 1. the recipient of the electric doors wiring em up to a non-electric system (not the sellers problem IMO) and 2. the seller wiring up his existing lock wiring to aftermarket lock actuators. Any audio shop worth their salt should be able to knock THAT out.

But I could be wrong. It's happened once or twice.
It's the windows he's most worried about. I started to link him to an "electric door lock for half doors" write-up and then re-read the op. Plus sounds like the trade hinges on the ability of the other guy to be able to roll them down.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-30-2010, 09:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
It's the windows he's most worried about. I started to link him to an "electric door lock for half doors" write-up and then re-read the op. Plus sounds like the trade hinges on the ability of the other guy to be able to roll them down.
Well on the same note, I don't see the difficulty in wiring up the window motors to appropriate relays & switches. I know for a fact that there are companies out there that specialize in aftermarket electric windows. My mother had some put in her Chevy Cobalt.

In this case, the motors & actuators are already in the doors, just gotta hook em up.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode