Directly attaching additional fog lights to OE fog light wires - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-26-2010, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Directly attaching additional fog lights to OE fog light wires

I bought Warn's 55W fog lights and was wondering - can I attach the new fog light's wires directly to the OEM fog light wires? Would that blow a fuse? I am trying to make the install simple, and have the OEM fog & Warn fog lights work together.

Thanks for any tips/advise. I enjoy adding all the modes to my JK, but I am lacking in the electrical department!!

salt life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-26-2010, 07:00 AM
JKO Addict!

I wouldn't put that much current through the factory wiring and the relay in the TIPM. More than doubling the electrical load if you keep the stock fogs and the warns. Your best bet would be to use a relay for the warns, and trigger the relay with the factory fog light wiring..

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Rock God

Garage

The OEM/stock wiring and load capacities are rated for 42W - that's the stock fog lights' wattage. Even if you were to replace the existing stock fogs, I wouldn't install 55W lights without a relay.

That being said, if you are looking for brighter fogs, I would consider an HID conversion of the fog lights. I purchased them from DDM Tuning and am very pleased. No need for new wiring either since they only draw 35W, but put out more than 70W! They are awesome and you can purchase the bulbs in a variety of color temperatures - I got the 3000K since I want less glare in fog, rain, snow, etc. and use them exclusively for that purpose.

Also, the conversion is fairly inexpensive and is plug and play. It took longer to bundle the wires neatly than it did to install the new bulbs. Just be sure to purchase the correct size and type. Also, there are differences between 2007/8/9 and 2010/11 models.

2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, 6-speed, White
1985 CJ-7, 4-speed, 258 I-6, 3" Springs, 33" BFG AT, Gunmental Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-30-2010, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the info. Very interesting.

salt life
post #5 of 5 Old 11-03-2010, 09:18 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Your best bet would be to use a relay for the warns, and trigger the relay with the factory fog light wiring..
X2 Real easy to do and will work just fine. If you try to draw more current than the factory fogs it won't work anyway and the lights will cut out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode