Traction Control with its own mind? help? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-25-2010, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Traction Control with its own mind? help?

About a month ago my ABS, ESP, and Traction Control lights flipped on the dash. Starting the engine cold and trying to go somewhere sets off the traction control system stopping any kind of accelleration. Obvious its the traction control it only has this problem while accelerating. For some reason the colder it is outside the worse it does it and the longer it continues to take over traction. Typically, as the car warms up (more so then the engine) it will stop doing it.
I checked all the tires. They are all good with 35 pounds each.

Any ideas before i turn this problem and my wallet over to a dealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-25-2010, 08:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiz View Post
About a month ago my ABS, ESP, and Traction Control lights flipped on the dash. Starting the engine cold and trying to go somewhere sets off the traction control system stopping any kind of accelleration. Obvious its the traction control it only has this problem while accelerating. For some reason the colder it is outside the worse it does it and the longer it continues to take over traction. Typically, as the car warms up (more so then the engine) it will stop doing it.
I checked all the tires. They are all good with 35 pounds each.

Any ideas before i turn this problem and my wallet over to a dealer?
So what changed? Lift? Tires? Out of the blue? Have you checked all your nutz & bolts???

More info man, more info. If nothin I'd either be wrenchin or haulin ass to a shop somewhere.

edit: not just nuts & blots but bent shit, check your toe, etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by scottrock; 10-25-2010 at 08:33 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

If your steering wheel is perfectly centered, and assuming you haven't made any recent adjustments to your suspension set-up.....it could be the steering angle sensor. I would scan it to see if you are getting any codes.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-26-2010, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
So what changed? Lift? Tires? Out of the blue? Have you checked all your nutz & bolts???

More info man, more info.
Nothing has changed at all. no lift no new tires anything. seriously the only thing that has changed around here is the temperature outside. how come my jet ski give me codes yet i have to pay someone a bunch a money to plug something in and tell me a code?

the wheel is centered and it doesnt pull one way or the other.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-26-2010, 07:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Nothing has changed at all. no lift no new tires anything. seriously the only thing that has changed around here is the temperature outside. how come my jet ski give me codes yet i have to pay someone a bunch a money to plug something in and tell me a code?

the wheel is centered and it doesnt pull one way or the other.
You can pull the last code without a reader. Search is your friend

edit: found it,
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
Turn key to on position (but don't start)

push the key into the ignition cylinder and while holding it in, and while holding it in turn to off and back to on 3 times, ending in the on position

If you did it right, all the dash lights will light up and the odometer will be a series of dashes. After the dashes, it will then display any codes (be ready to write them down since you may have more than one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Rock God

My Jeep will give me the ESP BAS "BS" lights every now and then. I hate all this computer junk they have on the Wranglers. I guess it's good for some, but the second you start lifting and tinkering and still use it as a DD you wind up fighting the electronic components of the vehicle.

Mine usually clears itself after a few miles of drive time. It's been recentered after the lift, and it's just now started giving me some trouble after bending my drag link (understandably so). But it has done it without any modification or tweaks before. Computers...

2010 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon with a part from everyone...
post #7 of 10 Old 10-27-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

[QUOTE=Jagrmaister;570022]My Jeep will give me the ESP BAS "BS" lights every now and then. I hate all this computer junk they have on the Wranglers. I guess it's good for some, but the second you start lifting and tinkering and still use it as a DD you wind up fighting the electronic components of the vehicle.
QUOTE]
Sad to admit. I havent really dont anything to it as far as how it rides. No lift, no big tires, like that. Only thing i did was swapped out the 18s and put the Rubi set up on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
You can pull the last code without a reader. Search is your friend

edit: found it,
I will definetly pull that tomorrow to see what comes up. Huge thanks.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-02-2010, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

6 dashes. and im 100% convinced that it has to do with engine temperature somehow. as soon as the engine or some commonent warms up its fine.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
6 dashes. and im 100% convinced that it has to do with engine temperature somehow. as soon as the engine or some commonent warms up its fine.
Is it a Rubi? If so mess around with the electronic swaybar motor wiring ie. unplug it and see if things clear up. Ive heard of those things causing all kinds of strange gremlins. Otherwise break out the chicken bones and start a voodoo dance.

08 Silver Unlimited
3.5" RE Superflex
35" Pro Comp X Muds
5.13 Superiors
Rampage front
Rancho rear
Tabor 9K
Spidertrax and stockers
Line-x
post #10 of 10 Old 11-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I know some like the ABS and other systems that come on the JK (and all new cars & trucks) but man, I miss the days before all the computer controled crap.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode