Battery and Cable - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 10-17-2010, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Question Battery and Cable

I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to dese elektrikals en deiser Jeep. This is what I'm running/going to run:

-1 pair Lightforce 170 Strykers on windshield
-1 pair back-up lights
-Subwoofer
-Superwinch EPi 9.0
-1 pair PIAA 520s on front bumper
-Air Compressor (MAYBE)

Is this too much for 1 battery to handle? If not, I'm currently more inclined to go with a sPOD (based on searches, research, and an earlier post) that a dual battery set-up.

Here's why I ask ...I've about blown my wad on mods this year, and don't have the funds for a sPOD. I also don't want to drill too many more holes in my Jeep for switches if I need to eventually get a sPOD (right now I have two drilled for lights, and I'm ordering a plate from 12VoltGuy for the winch).

--Do I need a sPOD? If so, and I drill the holes for the 12VoltGuy plate, can I use my existing switches for the sPOD, or do I have to use the switch plate that comes with the sPOD?

Thanks ...Cheers ...

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 10-17-2010, 02:29 PM
JKO Addict!

sPod really just organizes all your switches and relays. It's very nice, but will not make your electrical system any "stronger" with the more accessories you run. It's convenient but is not vital to having a system that works well. That was in response to "if I need to eventually get a sPOD "; If that makes any sense.

Likely you aren't going to be blaring the stereo, running the air compressor, winching 9000lbs, in reverse and trying to lightup the world at the same time. The biggest killer of your battery will be the winch under heavy load. Keeping the rpm up while winching will help by letting the alternator kick out more amperage. But a hard/long pull can really wipe out a stock battery in one shot.

Dual battery is best for winching, however I'll likely just go with a single good diehard and take my chances. The dual battery will also be beneficial if you plan on running that stereo hard with the Jeep off. It will keep you from killing your starting battery.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #3 of 44 Old 10-17-2010, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
sPod really just organizes all your switches and relays. It's very nice, but will not make your electrical system any "stronger" with the more accessories you run. It's convenient but is not vital to having a system that works well. That was in response to "if I need to eventually get a sPOD "; If that makes any sense.

Likely you aren't going to be blaring the stereo, running the air compressor, winching 9000lbs, in reverse and trying to lightup the world at the same time. The biggest killer of your battery will be the winch under heavy load. Keeping the rpm up while winching will help by letting the alternator kick out more amperage. But a hard/long pull can really wipe out a stock battery in one shot.

Dual battery is best for winching, however I'll likely just go with a single good diehard and take my chances. The dual battery will also be beneficial if you plan on running that stereo hard with the Jeep off. It will keep you from killing your starting battery.

Dude!!! Thank you very much. Makes perfect sense and helps out tremendously. I'm cool with eventually going dual batteries ...and I'm looking at picking up a Die Hard before winter hits anyway. Like I said ...very much a newb in the electrical dept and wanting to make the right choices the first time.

Thanks again ...cheers

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Adrenaline Offroad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-jeep View Post
Dude!!! Thank you very much. Makes perfect sense and helps out tremendously. I'm cool with eventually going dual batteries ...and I'm looking at picking up a Die Hard before winter hits anyway. Like I said ...very much a newb in the electrical dept and wanting to make the right choices the first time.

Thanks again ...cheers
Dual battery kits.......I could use a little JK dual battery kit pimpin, so if you would like a dual battery kit, contact me ( call, or email ) & I will GIVE you one to get the word out, I even combine a incab winch control & dual battery kit in same panel.

COVER of 4Wheeler mag DEC 2010...right now

post #5 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 11:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12voltguy.com View Post
Dual battery kits.......I could use a little JK dual battery kit pimpin, so if you would like a dual battery kit, contact me ( call, or email ) & I will GIVE you one to get the word out, I even combine a incab winch control & dual battery kit in same panel.
What is the cost on your dual kit? The "other" kit is too much for me to consider...for what it is. Was tossing around trying a diy

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #6 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
What is the cost on your dual kit? The "other" kit is too much for me to consider...for what it is.
$129, includes
panel with switch & LEDs single or dual
in dash or under dash, small mini switch type, or larger panel with full size switch & LEDs
or combo dual battery & winch controller, those are $199 with in cab wire kit too, at 2x2.5
I'll be making those in JK size this week & adding them to my site
http://12voltguy.com/web/index.php?p...mart&Itemid=43
solenoid 100A, optional 200A + $25
battery cables, x2 3 footers or a 3 foot & 8 foot, these are4 ga, suply flexy high strand welding cable, I make these, I get cable in 250' rolls, cut to size, crimp with hydro crimper & use Triple-wall adhesive polyolefin heat shrink tubing to keep out moisture
& cable from panel to solenoid
all you need to complete is
2nd battery
battery tray
ground cable for 2nd battery
http://12voltguy.com/web/index.php?o...hk=1&Itemid=43

post #7 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 11:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Can you explain the different size solenoids and why you would need a larger one? Is the full current to one battery going through a solenoid at all times besides when everything is off?

Battery mounting. Is just s universal tray used on a Jk?

What about a marine style battery switch for simplicity?

post #8 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Can you explain the different size solenoids and why you would need a larger one? Is the full current to one battery going through a solenoid at all times besides when everything is off?

12VoltGuy has some nice stuff.

You need a JK specific tray.

Badass Bumpers, Dual Battery Systems, Rockcrawler Oil Pans and More!
www.benchmarkdesigns.com
post #9 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

if you have a big high amp altenator over 125a, go with bigger solenoid
current only oes through solenoid wehen there is a draw.
email me & I will send you full wire & instruction sheets, FREE
I give out all my wire sheets weather you purchase or not, I'm a wheeler 1st

post #10 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 11:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchmark Designs Inc.
Thanks. I'd be looking to build one, or at least attempt to first. I just enjoy building parts that I can, or tryin!

post #11 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Granite Guru

A great way to step into dual batteries is the Stage 1 kit. The price can't be beat and you can always upgrade it to Stage 2 or 3 down the road for additional features and capacity.

http://www.benchmarkdesigns.com/inde...products_id=85

www.benchmarkdesigns.com
post #12 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 11:49 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchmark Designs Inc. View Post

cool looking tray.
Battery trays are an item I woukd rather buy then try to build.
& they can be a tight fit in a JK or TJ, electricty is not something you want to come loose, shorting battery cables can & WILL burn your rig to the ground

post #13 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Sent you an email!

post #14 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
A great way to step into dual batteries is the Stage 1 kit. The price can't be beat and you can always upgrade it to Stage 2 or 3 down the road for additional features and capacity.

http://www.benchmarkdesigns.com/inde...products_id=85

looks like it's got a dual stage powder coat
I had local guy do that color on a billet aluminum mag light holder I made.

post #15 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCCotton View Post
Sent you an email!
ok, I'll work something out with you too

post #16 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Please...I can't have Dr. Dirty just sitting around the shop polishing his JK all day for the mall.

post #17 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Please...I can't have Dr. Dirty just sitting around the shop polishing his JK all day for the mall.
Seriously! Does he ever get that thing dirty anymore?

www.benchmarkdesigns.com
post #18 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
PM sent...

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Adrenaline Offroad
post #19 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Rock God

Quote:
No, as a matter of fact he spent all day yesterday detailing it while I put my evap relocation kit in! He may take it out for Thanksgiving!

post #20 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 12:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Quote:
I try im waiting for the bumpstop fairy to show up so i can wheel it hard again

Quote:
Thanks man more work lol

Your bronco looks bad ass im going to frame the issue with your rig on the front because it makes me miss my big bronco.........
post #21 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 12:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
No, as a matter of fact he spent all day yesterday detailing it while I put my evap relocation kit in! He may take it out for Thanksgiving!

It has to be clean to take some good pictures with the trailer
post #22 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post

I try im waiting for the bumpstop fairy to show up so i can wheel it hard again

Thanks man more work lol

Your bronco looks bad ass im going to frame the issue with your rig on the front because it makes me miss my big bronco.........
lol
thx, Didn't think I would ever get on cover of 4wheeler

hopefully I can sell that & build my 69 jeepster, if not it's going to get the broncos drivetrain & go to a 39.5 or 42 irok

post #23 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 12:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
lol
thx, Didn't think I would ever get on cover of 4wheeler

hopefully I can sell that & build my 69 jeepster, if not it's going to get the broncos drivetrain & go to a 39.5 or 42 irok
Dont do it you will regret selling it..... I think about mine daily
post #24 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
Dont do it you will regret selling it..... I think about mine daily
I hear ya, but this thing is big, & heavy 7500lbs on the trail & I just want different
I've hasd well over 100 cars/trucks & never had a trail rig over 4 years
hell my 02 sonoma I've had 4.5 years, longest I have ever had a vehicle
I love the 4.3L motor, it's just a 2wd xcab, my dd & hauls my crf450 to trails
but has been very good to me

post #25 of 44 Old 10-18-2010, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Well ...looks like I'll be needing this in the very near future.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Adrenaline Offroad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode