Blown Fusible Link Wire - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By coilrod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-19-2020, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Blown Fusible Link Wire

2010 Wrangler JK
I blew the fusible link wire from the battery to looks like the alternator.
Can someone please tell me the wire size so I can order the correct fusible link wire, and copper butt connectors.
I don't want to replace the whole cable.
Any advice is welcome, and thanks in advance.
Riley
Had trouble with photo attachment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-19-2020, 06:44 AM
Rock God

What gauge is the rest of the wire? From what I've read it's 6 gauge, in which case a 10 gauge fusible link wire should be good. Just make sure to match the length of the original wire as close as you can, because length has a lot to do with the amperage carrying capacity of the wire before it burns open.

Also, you can't post pictures on here until you have more posts (I think 10). If you use an image hosting site, you can post the links here.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-19-2020, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Big TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-19-2020, 01:10 PM
Granite Guru

Fuseable wire is color coded, use the same color.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 Old 01-19-2020, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Rich for the reply.
I canít tell the color, it got fused with the shrink insulation, plus I have seen the same color of fusible link wire in different sizes. I asked the dealer what size the battery cable wire is but the parts guy didnít really try to find out. I live out in the boonies and have a bad neck and didnít feel like driving all over town so came home and tried here. I looked on the battery wire insulation for the ga size but could find anything.
Everything I have read says you step down 4 ga sizes for the fusible link, so I will go with that when Iím sure of the battery wire size.
I would post a photo, or a link but this sight wonít let me.
If someone goes over to the Jeep Wrangler forum they can see my post in JK forum, ďtechĒ under Caped Crusader ďfuselink size 2010 JKĒ these a photo there.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-19-2020, 05:06 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley 3 View Post
Thank you Rich for the reply.
I canít tell the color, it got fused with the shrink insulation, plus I have seen the same color of fusible link wire in different sizes. I asked the dealer what size the battery cable wire is but the parts guy didnít really try to find out. I live out in the boonies and have a bad neck and didnít feel like driving all over town so came home and tried here. I looked on the battery wire insulation for the ga size but could find anything.
Everything I have read says you step down 4 ga sizes for the fusible link, so I will go with that when Iím sure of the battery wire size.
I would post a photo, or a link but this sight wonít let me.
If someone goes over to the Jeep Wrangler forum they can see my post in JK forum, ďtechĒ under Caped Crusader ďfuselink size 2010 JKĒ these a photo there.
Be aware, most say to step down four numbers, not gauge sizes. So a 4 gauge would need an 8 gauge fusible link, 6 gauge would use 10 gauge, etc.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-19-2020, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks BigTB
I meant 4 sizes not 4 gaís.
Iím not very good at judging wire sizes just looking at them, not great eyes. I pealed back the battery cable wire looking for a ga imprint but couldnít see one.
If the wire is 6 ga I have a crimper for that, if itís 4 ga I will have to return it and get a bigger one. I have some 10 ga fusible link wire I got from a friend.
I just want to do it right.
Riley
Boy they sure make it hard here to post a photo, or link especially when you really need the help.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-19-2020, 06:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

What are you doing to address why the fuse went poppity?
rich6700 likes this.

I am a troll. Do not take my advice. It isn't going to help.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-19-2020, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Old man user error. Late at night, freezing out, not feeling good, touched the wrong cable on the battery. Looks like the fusible link did its job. Checked all the fuses they are OK. I guess I will find out if itís ok after I re-wire it.
Riley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode