Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert Simonds View Post
Hyper flash l/s turn signal however works at times. 2010 Jeep JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
bulb replace l/s should work all times.
That^ should do it (99+% chance).

My wife's FJ Cruiser had intermittent hyperflash but the bulbs were good (new one on me). Turned out the connections had a bit of surface oxidation, and remove & reinstall fixed it. Was going to replace the bulbs, but now my sense of adventure is piqued

Popping in new bulbs has a high probability of fixing the problem for at least 5 years. If that doesn't do it, start looking for roached connectors or wiring.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-06-2020, 04:39 PM
you can go piss up a rope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
That^ should do it (99+% chance).

My wife's FJ Cruiser had intermittent hyperflash but the bulbs were good (new one on me). Turned out the connections had a bit of surface oxidation, and remove & reinstall fixed it. Was going to replace the bulbs, but now my sense of adventure is piqued

Popping in new bulbs has a high probability of fixing the problem for at least 5 years. If that doesn't do it, start looking for roached connectors or wiring.
The fix for your wife's issue is taking the offending FJ and gently pulling on it until it is released from the bulb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
y’aller quenchin' with beer
post #5 of 12 Old 01-06-2020, 06:55 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
The fix for your wife's issue is taking the offending FJ and gently pulling on it until it is released from the bulb.
Name:  7773af9770acea44e2c046c6284ec7d1533d53c8d4091919f012c3f1a9d9adc9.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  41.1 KB

Sorry, but my 2010 JK is a cheaply manufactured piece of shit compared to her 2011 FJ with respect to build quality, power, towing capacity, comfort, and giving me confidence it's not going to shit itself in the next 5 years. The FJ's nowhere near the wheeler my Jeep is, but it's 2X the car and 3X the truck IMHO.

I like my Jeep for what it is, but I'm not drinkin' the and defending it for what it isn't

EDIT: if j3ff3ry bans me for the above blasphemy, it's been nice knowing you

-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ExWrench; 01-06-2020 at 06:57 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-07-2020, 12:09 AM
you can go piss up a rope

Quote:
Attachment 339866

Sorry, but my 2010 JK is a cheaply manufactured piece of shit compared to her 2011 FJ with respect to build quality, power, towing capacity, comfort, and giving me confidence it's not going to shit itself in the next 5 years. The FJ's nowhere near the wheeler my Jeep is, but it's 2X the car and 3X the truck IMHO.

I like my Jeep for what it is, but I'm not drinkin' the and defending it for what it isn't

I keed, I keed.
I’ve done my time with the FJ, taco, tundra and now a 3rd gen 4Runner, which is much more interesting than my Jeep.
ExWrench likes this.

Quote:
y’aller quenchin' with beer
post #7 of 12 Old 01-07-2020, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:

....:

Guruman and ExWrench like this.

post #8 of 12 Old 01-07-2020, 08:47 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
I keed, I keed.
I’ve done my time with the FJ, taco, tundra and now a 3rd gen 4Runner, which is much more interesting than my Jeep.
Oh, our JK is more "interesting" than her FJ, but the Jeep's been lifted, geared, hydro'd, caged, modded, wheeled, redlined, bumped, scraped, waterlogged, dried . . . you know, used as intended

I love her FJ because it's 99% stock and hasn't needed any repairs beyond re-seating a turn signal bulb. It's clean and low-miles, and may still be worth what we have into it (because discontinued, therefore "rare"). It would suck for a lot of what we've used the Jeep for, but it fookin' rocks as wifey's DD.

Quote:

post #9 of 12 Old 01-16-2020, 03:31 AM

Hyper-flashing is a deliberate function of your vehicle's turn signal circuit that flags a burned-out bulb..!!!
post #10 of 12 Old 01-16-2020, 06:22 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviaivy337 View Post
Hyper-flashing is a deliberate function of your vehicle's turn signal circuit that flags a burned-out bulb..!!!
...or a bad socket ground connection.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #11 of 12 Old 02-10-2020, 07:01 PM
Granite Guru

Check also the bulb sockets for corrosion.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-02-2020, 12:30 PM
Rock God

Garage
Melted Front Turn Signal Housings

Haven't been on here in like, forever, but good to see ExWrench and j3ff3ry_j33p still doing what they do! Had the Hyper-flash issue recently, and having put in more than a few miles in my life (and with LED tails), I knew what was up. Checked the front and sure enough, right front turn signal is non-op, as well as the parking light. I unplug the wire harness and go to remove the bulb socket from the housing, and can't get the stupid thing out! Now, not being a complete moron, I know that I'm doing it right but I know also not to apply too much force, lest I destroy the socket and find myself up the proverbial creek of foul stench. I get in closer to check things out and see that the back surface of the housing is warped severely and has actually been melted at some point! That's what was keeping the socket from coming out, the housing had been deformed and had it locked into place. Well crap! Now what?

I decided to just go ahead and order a set of those LED turn signals that were cool in 2010, as a nice little upgrade. When I go to install them yesterday, I find that they are complete garbage (another story. eBay. 'nuff said.), but I also find that the housing on the driver's side has also melted, and worse! I could actually see bubbled plastic on the inside of the housing, and the bottom had drawn upward so that the housing was no longer round! It almost looks like the bulbs are too hot for the plastic that the housings are made of. So I double-checked that I have the right bulbs and they are, in fact, 3157s. So I guess I have some new housings of some sort in my future, but the questions are . . .

. . . has anyone else ever seen this on their rig? Does anyone have a good idea of the real source of the issue? How would YOU go about resolving the issue (turn-key LED signal/housings, new OEM housings and LED 3157 replacement "bulbs", . . . )?

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode