CB RADIO PROBLEMS - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-14-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'm hoping someone who is knowledgeable in radios can help me figure this out. Its driving me nuts. I bought a new Uniden Bearcat 980 cb. New front fender/hood mount, new antenna spring, ran a ground wire from mount to fender bolt. I bought a new coax cable. All connections are tight. I was getting an RF out fail on the radio diagnostics but everything else pass. Took all the antenna stuff off and redid it nice and tight. Now I'm getting voltage pass, RF out pass, antenna fail. My antenna is old. Could that be it? My SWR is obviously off the charts high. Coax to spring, through the mount then antenna to spring. I also put ferrite cores on the pos and neg wires going into the cb and connected power directly to the battery.

Last edited by SC20K; 12-14-2019 at 09:36 AM. Reason: forgot something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-14-2019, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

borrow or buy a returnable one then see if the antenna makes a difference is the way you have to determine that.

FWIW, in a single season my riding group switched to GMRS eliminating this type of frustrating trouble while making our rides safer.

Maybe time to look into the updated comms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-14-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yeah I'm gonna buy a new antenna. I need a new one regardless as the old on is very old. I use vhf/uhf radios but I like to have a CB as backup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-15-2019, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC20K View Post
Yeah I'm gonna buy a new antenna. I need a new one regardless as the old on is very old. I use vhf/uhf radios but I like to have a CB as backup.

yep. I still have the little Midlands in my armrest cubbie, too.
keep us updated on the antenna results...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-16-2019, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So I added plastic spacers on the top and bottom of the mount. I am now receiving signal and antenna diagnostic is a pass. Bad news is my swr is 3. Hopefully the new antenna helps bring it down once it arrives. Now I know for future reference, need those plastic spacers.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-17-2019, 11:58 AM
Wheeler

have you tuned it with an sir meter? did I miss that
post #7 of 7 Old 01-04-2020, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Just installed a brand new 5 foot firestick. Now everything is perfect. My SWR is 1!! Everything is crystal clear and I even added a PA speaker under the hood. Super happy... finally!

Now to deal with the other problem... when the engine is running, my handheld VHF/UHF is getting so much interference that I can barely understand incoming transmissions. As soon as the engine is shut off, crystal clear. From my understanding, this is a headache to fix.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their help. Much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode