Dead Starter Circuit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By 0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 12-09-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Dead Starter Circuit

Hi, wondering if anyone has experienced a dead starter circuit on the JK. It has no faults being recorded on the OBD reader, so i am sure it isnt computer, but more a breakdown between ignition switch and start solenoid. I have gone to the start relay and have power on input 30 however when connecting this direct to terminal 87 nothing happens - i would have thought it should at crank or at least draw power if the solenoid is stuck/RS. Everything else is fine, just on the start circuit absolutely nothing happens - and the voltage doesn't drop, so there is no draw either. This is a Right Hand Drive vehicle (Australia), so position of relay box ect may vary from the USA, but i am sure the electrics are common

Any Clues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-13-2019, 04:29 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle G View Post
Hi, wondering if anyone has experienced a dead starter circuit on the JK. It has no faults being recorded on the OBD reader, so i am sure it isnt computer, but more a breakdown between ignition switch and start solenoid. I have gone to the start relay and have power on input 30 however when connecting this direct to terminal 87 nothing happens - i would have thought it should at crank or at least draw power if the solenoid is stuck/RS. Everything else is fine, just on the start circuit absolutely nothing happens - and the voltage doesn't drop, so there is no draw either. This is a Right Hand Drive vehicle (Australia), so position of relay box ect may vary from the USA, but i am sure the electrics are common

Any Clues?
The ignition switch sends a signal to the wireless control module. the WCM send a "crank" request signal to the TIPM to tell it to run the starter.
The PCM sends a signal to the TIPM to tell it if its in park/neutral or if the clutch is depressed in a manual.
If the TIPM see's a start request and a P/N signal it will apply power to pin 85 of the starter relay.
pin 86 will be grounded by either the PCM P/N wire or the TIPM.
Power to the relay comes from Fuse J17 (40A) on pin 30.
Output from the relay is on pin 87 and goes to the starter

if you put 12 volts on PIN 87 and the starter doesn't turn over then you either have a bad starter, bad battery feed to the main starter lug or a bad Yellow/Grey wire from the TIPM.

At the starter you should have a good battery feed on the big red wire.
you can put 12 volts on the yellow/grey wire at the starter and test it there.

Tspevacek, j3ff3ry_j33p and BigTB like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
post #3 of 6 Old 12-15-2019, 07:30 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME View Post
The ignition switch sends a signal to the wireless control module. the WCM send a "crank" request signal to the TIPM to tell it to run the starter.
The PCM sends a signal to the TIPM to tell it if its in park/neutral or if the clutch is depressed in a manual.
If the TIPM see's a start request and a P/N signal it will apply power to pin 85 of the starter relay.
pin 86 will be grounded by either the PCM P/N wire or the TIPM.
Power to the relay comes from Fuse J17 (40A) on pin 30.
Output from the relay is on pin 87 and goes to the starter

if you put 12 volts on PIN 87 and the starter doesn't turn over then you either have a bad starter, bad battery feed to the main starter lug or a bad Yellow/Grey wire from the TIPM.

At the starter you should have a good battery feed on the big red wire.
you can put 12 volts on the yellow/grey wire at the starter and test it there.

that my man was very well explained
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-16-2019, 06:59 AM
JKowners Vendor

I do my best. I have a LOT of experience with the JK platform.

post #5 of 6 Old 12-20-2019, 07:53 PM

Can the PCM be reset/restarted? I have everything verified as you described, but the start relay is not firing.
Thanks
post #6 of 6 Old 12-21-2019, 01:51 PM
JKowners Vendor

Ground the dark green/orange wire at the PCM C3-38 and see if it will start.

Try clearing any codes first.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode