Electrical issue with horn/lights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 09-28-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Electrical issue with horn/lights

I searched quite a bit on this and haven't been able to fix my issue yet. hoping someone has had exactly the same issue and can help.

Issue: I was towing my jeep home and got caught in a downpour for 3 straight hours with no top or windshield. The headlights came on and the horn starting blaring and neither would shut off until I disconnected the battery. Let it sit overnight and still had the issue. dried everything off as best as I could and put the jeep in the garage with heat for a little while and blew a fan at the dash to help dry it out. Everything seemed ok, so I left for a week and came back to a very dead battery. After I got the battery charged, the horn and lights no longer staid on, but the horn faintly beeps with light flash randomly.

a little bit about my jeep:

I've cut a lot of stuff off the jeep so there's tons of open female electrical plugs that are no longer used... all got wet but are dry now.

I have a quick disconnect steering wheel, so its not the horn switch (there isn't one anymore and the horn doesn't work from the steering wheel-only from the key fob or the ghost that's turning it on now...)

I have full hydro, so my clock spring is broken from a while ago due to the nature of the orbital valve always turning. was never an issue before. Figured the clock spring wires that are broken must be shorting out so I removed the ribbon wiring completely and checked the circuit board for corrosion, but all looked good. issue persisted. when I completely disconnected the clock spring I did not hear the horn honk but it is random so it's possible it just didn't happen while disconnected.

bought a new wireless control module and the issue persisted so it wasn't that... thought it might be this because the issue is similar to when you press the panic function but super faint.

unplugged and replugged in the horn. checked it's connections

checked fuses. still good.

took the steering column apart 3-4 times already. all plugs secure and dry.

Could it still be my clock spring? Wondering if I should get a new one, but kind of sucks because I'll be breaking the ribbon wire as soon as I steer. Feels like a waste. Or could it be the relay? Or maybe my key fob? the issue is kind of like a faint version of when you lock the jeep. any idea what might have caused the power draw that killed my battery? I doubt the faint horn/lights would have killed it. It is only for a fraction of a second every once in a while that it goes off.

Last edited by MOKOS; 09-28-2019 at 11:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode