JKOwners Forum banner

Battery separator for dual batteries

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  gt1guy 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm installing dual Lifeline LL-1257TB batteries in my junk.

I'd like to do this:

*Use one battery for the stand alone engine/ECU wiring.
*Use the other battery for all the chassis wiring.
*Use both for starting engine.
*Charge both off the one alt, with priority given to engine battery first, then the chassis battery.

This (below) seems to fit the bill. I'm not and electrical guy though. Can I get a sanity check on this? Is there something better or more appropriate out there I should be looking at?

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/80003/EATON-s-Sure-Power-1315-200-Battery-Separator-/

According to the site:

EATON's Sure Power 1315-200 Battery Separator
Category: Battery Separators
Manufacturer: EATON
Designed for use in multi-battery applications as a solenoid priority system

Allows multiple batteries to be charged from one charging source
Prioritized charging, charges primary battery and then remaining batteries
Bi-directional: charge two batteries from two sources
Isolates batteries when fully charged
Protection circuitry absorbs coil generated voltage spikes
Prevents charging system overload
Start assist feature parallels batteries for added power during start
Universally suited for mounting on tow vehicles
5/16" x 24 studs
-40°F (-40°C) to 185°F (85°C)
SAE J1455, SAE J1113
12 volts, 200A

I've seen many dual battery setups that seem to have all kinds of gizmos attached. Plus most are stupid expensive.

This appears to be a rather simple solution, unless I've completely missed the mark.

My Jeep has had all the factory wiring removed. Chassis wiring is a Painless kit. Engine wiring is a stand alone PSI harness for the LS. Alt on the LS is a 220amp Powermaster.

See less See more
#5 ·
Thinking I could just round up to $124.90 and feel like a baller.

But the pressing question is..........will this work for what I want? The description sounds pretty spot on. My problem is that I know how much I don't know about electrical.

#8 ·
Awesome, thank you Sir.

I wonder why the dual batteries? Are you putting in a huge stereo system?
No, no big fancy stereo. Just basic tunes.

Main reason for the dual batteries is it keep the chassis side and engine side separate. Also, being able to parallel them for winching and starting. They are smaller than a 34 or whatever size is stock.

#9 ·
I have had a few isolaters on various things over the years. One thing to look out for standby current draw. I had a WirthCo 20092 Battery Doctor once that would drain the battery when it sat. The one you posted I did not see any standby power usage. stick with that style if you can. Warn made one years ago not sure if they still do. It was a well working unit but did fail after 7-8 years

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.